Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2017, 05:28 PM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
For the same reason people typically don't like having members of religious groups knock on their door and proselytize. It's not enough to just be vegan; you try to vegangelize to everyone else.
"Vegangelize" is an awesome term. And you're right, it's not so much that people are against veganism as much as people are against teenagers who think they know everything because they saw a movie on Netflix.

Old 08-17-2017, 07:18 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
For the record, I don't have a problem with veganism/vegetarianism.

Some vegans/vegetarians make the choice for health reasons, and some make the choice for "ethical" reasons. Someone who eats meat may feel "judged" when eating with an "ethical" vegan/vegetarian and feel the need to respond with some type of justification. No one likes to be considered unethical by others, even if they don't have the same beliefs.
I don't feel judged and I've made my personal peace with eating meat. I just don't like insults, accusations, and the blatant promotion of falsehoods. Some of the things said in this thread doesn't make any logical sense. It's one thing to have an ethical objection to eating meat but to say doing so is akin to guaranteed sickness and death...

Old 08-17-2017, 08:10 PM

11,085 posts, read 7,149,943 times
People usually react against veganism due to it being different. It's all to common to throw stones at basically anything that is different. Many too have rigid and limited understandings, and basically "freak out" mentally when confronted with a different way and approach.

Who knows, there might be some deep down jealousies too thrown in, such as: 1) others being able to think outside the box, 2) others able to control their bodies, and 3) others successful at carrying out a healthier path. So many among us a just a little above the dogs and animals in their simplistic reactionary approaches to food. "Hungry, see food, stuff food in mouth, be satisfied".

Old 08-17-2017, 09:34 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
...there might be some deep down jealousies too thrown in, such as: 1) others being able to think outside the box, 2) others able to control their bodies, and 3) others successful at carrying out a healthier path. So many among us a just a little above the dogs and animals in their simplistic reactionary approaches to food. "Hungry, see food, stuff food in mouth, be satisfied".
Ha ha!!! And there it is in all its glory; the answer to the question is finally revealed.
</end of thread>

Old 08-17-2017, 09:58 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I don't feel judged and I've made my personal peace with eating meat. I just don't like insults, accusations, and the blatant promotion of falsehoods. Some of the things said in this thread doesn't make any logical sense. It's one thing to have an ethical objection to eating meat but to say doing so is akin to guaranteed sickness and death...
Hmmm... kind of like the posts that claim all vegans have sickly looking hair and skin...

Old 08-17-2017, 10:02 PM

9,977 posts, read 5,677,344 times
Here's why:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoLikeable View Post
Made my mom watch " What the health"
Proselytizers of any stripe should expect to get push-back.

Old 08-18-2017, 02:04 AM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I think people get defensive because it causes them to stop and think about what they are eating and they don't like what they see. It's easy to just eat animals if you ignore what is really happening and go about your life because that is what you have always done.

Also people are so into the thinking that they NEED it and don't know how to not eat it. They are convinced that they have to have animal flesh to get protein and there is no other way. It's tradition, it's just the way it is.

Humans are taught they need a lot more protein than they really do. It's possible to get protein from plant sources and live a healthy life...the animals they eat do it!
This is what I think. When I ate meat, I justified it in 1000ds of really crazy ways. As I child, my parents told me that the animals were "put to sleep" the way dogs and cats are.

In my 20s, the realities of factory farming became apparent through the internet. And, while I am not always a fan of PETA, their late 80s and early 90s pamphlets depicting factory farming were hideous and terribly upsetting. I never new animals had to endure so much to become food for me.

It was an easy transition.

People who are not yet vegetarians know all of this, on some level. We live in the information age. Pictures are out there as are films such as "Forks Over Knives", "Food Inc." and "Cowspiracy" and others have made it difficult to defend meat eating.

So, on some level. most meat eaters feel guilty. Since they are hooked on meat, they become defensive and offensive. To cover their shame, they make jokes using forced, but grim, jocularity.

Like "Oh you hit a deer? Let's fire up the barbecue and have a party!".

Before the information age, I never heard such overt hostility and anger.

"I hake my steak so rare is moos at me". We would have never heard such cruel jokes in the 60s or 70s. Today omnivorous are in your face with it.

Old 08-18-2017, 02:13 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
...So, on some level. most meat eaters feel guilty...To cover their shame...
I don't feel guilty at all, and I'm not ashamed of my dietary preferences.

I don't insult vegans/vegetarians for their dietary restrictions, so I expect the same respect for my dietary openness.

Last edited by Dirt Grinder; 08-18-2017 at 02:22 AM..

Old 08-18-2017, 04:34 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
This is what I think. When I ate meat, I justified it in 1000ds of really crazy ways. As I child, my parents told me that the animals were "put to sleep" the way dogs and cats are.

In my 20s, the realities of factory farming became apparent through the internet. And, while I am not always a fan of PETA, their late 80s and early 90s pamphlets depicting factory farming were hideous and terribly upsetting. I never new animals had to endure so much to become food for me.

It was an easy transition.

People who are not yet vegetarians know all of this, on some level. We live in the information age. Pictures are out there as are films such as "Forks Over Knives", "Food Inc." and "Cowspiracy" and others have made it difficult to defend meat eating.

So, on some level. most meat eaters feel guilty. Since they are hooked on meat, they become defensive and offensive. To cover their shame, they make jokes using forced, but grim, jocularity.

Like "Oh you hit a deer? Let's fire up the barbecue and have a party!".

Before the information age, I never heard such overt hostility and anger.

"I hake my steak so rare is moos at me". We would have never heard such cruel jokes in the 60s or 70s. Today omnivorous are in your face with it.
This is what I'm talking about. As a meat eater, I'm accused of being in denial and full of guilty and shame. When I say this isn't true, you ignore my words as if I didn't say them.

Why must things be twisted to provide false explanations that make you feel better or more superior about your choices? I honestly don't see why any of this is a big deal. I would never think to create a false narrative about vegans. You've made your choice and I've made mine. Can't we coexist without slinging dirt at each other?

Old 08-18-2017, 06:40 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
So many among us a just a little above the dogs and animals in their simplistic reactionary approaches to food.
Thanks for proving our point. By the way, a dog IS an animal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food