Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 04:03 PM

1,381 posts, read 2,101,844 times

Advertisements

I'm almost a year vegan now - and I finally invested in some nutritional yeast. Anyone have any good recipes to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 08:04 PM

1,199 posts, read 659,450 times
I use it for chickpea flour omelets. I mix in a bowl, 1/2 cup chickpea flour, 1/4 cup nutritional yeast, pinch of cumin powder, pinch of black pepper, then add 1/2 to 2/3 cup cold water and stir to make a thick batter. I heat a nonstick pan on low heat with a little cooking oil spray or water, then spread my batter around the pan into a large circle. I add chopped spinach, tomatoes and a dollop of salsa onto the pancake, then use my spatula to fold it in half over itself into a sort of omelet. After 30 seconds or so, I flip to the other side and cook for another 30 seconds, til the veggies are heated. This makes a nice "eggy" like high protein breakfast dish.

I also add a few tablespoons of nutritional yeast to soups as they simmer for a boost of flavor. This works well with split pea soup or black bean soup.

One of my ultimate favorite sauces that involves nutritional yeast is this pumpkin "cheese" sauce from the Oh She Glows blog (I have made MANY of her recipes and they have never failed me): Vegan Pumpkin Mac ‘n Cheeze Sauce ? Oh She Glows

Old 08-27-2017, 09:19 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
I just add it to most of my food, which right now is mostly tacos with a mixture of beans, lentils, rice, veggies in corn tortillas, and soups. I either just mix it into the food, or with the tacos, sometimes I'll sprinkle some onto the tortilla, then cover it with the filling. If you just sprinkle it on top, it can be kind of dry in your mouth, so it's better mixed into something wet.

It's really good on popcorn as a coating, but I haven't figured out how to like popcorn without oil - or to get it to stick to the popcorn without oil. I am thinking I might try dipping kernels one by one into balsamic vinegar then into the yeast as I eat them, but haven't tried it yet :-)

Old 08-28-2017, 03:57 AM

1,199 posts, read 659,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I just add it to most of my food, which right now is mostly tacos with a mixture of beans, lentils, rice, veggies in corn tortillas, and soups. I either just mix it into the food, or with the tacos, sometimes I'll sprinkle some onto the tortilla, then cover it with the filling. If you just sprinkle it on top, it can be kind of dry in your mouth, so it's better mixed into something wet.

It's really good on popcorn as a coating, but I haven't figured out how to like popcorn without oil - or to get it to stick to the popcorn without oil. I am thinking I might try dipping kernels one by one into balsamic vinegar then into the yeast as I eat them, but haven't tried it yet :-)
I used to sprinkle soy sauce on my air popped popcorn and it was really good due to the saltiness. I don't think that would be good with nutritional yeast though. I avoid soy now and simply spray a little bit of coconut oil spray on my popcorn for a little flavor.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:02 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
I bought my first bag of the stuff recently. (Trader Joe's brand) I made "cheese" this weekend and used it in the recipe. The yeast is interesting, it looks kind of like yellow instant potatoes, and smells pretty good. I haven't tried it on anything else yet!

Old 08-29-2017, 07:27 AM

I tried to make a mac n cheese with it on Sunday and I did NOT like it at all. I guess I need to keep trying!

Old 08-29-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKB View Post
I tried to make a mac n cheese with it on Sunday and I did NOT like it at all. I guess I need to keep trying!
What recipe did you use?

Old 08-30-2017, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
What recipe did you use?
I'm not sure - it was with quinoa and you heated up about 1/2 cup of almond milk, 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast, some dijon mustard and garlic powder. It just had the oddest smell to me and I couldn't really get past that

Old 08-30-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKB View Post
I'm not sure - it was with quinoa and you heated up about 1/2 cup of almond milk, 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast, some dijon mustard and garlic powder. It just had the oddest smell to me and I couldn't really get past that
That doesn't sound too good to me, either.

I made this cheese the other day and had some on tortilla chips. It wasn't bad. I think it would be good for mac and cheese.

Amazing Vegan Cheese Sauce - Brand New Vegan

Old 08-31-2017, 09:27 AM

Oh that does look really good. The starchiness from the potatoes and the sweetness from the carrots. I like that it doesn't use cashews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food