Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 08:26 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,764,384 times

Advertisements

It's important to know what your goal is regarding not drinking cow milk. If you want to go low fat vegan, you will need to be wary of soy and coconut products. They're higher in saturated fat, which can affect cholesterol - and they're way higher in calories.

I'm using the lowest calorie almond milk I can find right now, I'm not picky about the brand. It's only 30 calories per cup. So, even if 20 or 25 of those calories are from fat - I figure it's not horrible, since the total calories per cup are so minimal.

Why not try adding a sweetener to your coffee? Stevia is supposed to be the safest zero-calorie sweetener. To be honest, I still use sucralose. But, when I run out of what I have on hand, I'll switch to Stevia.

If you don't care about calories or fat, coconut milk will be the most satisfying, in my experience, in the non-dairy vegan world. I do NOT recommend the coconut milk from Trader Joe's for your coffee, though. It's really hard - as in, it is mostly solidified and needs to be heated up - just creepy and gross. Look online for recommendations. I bought some I liked at Walmart, but I've quit all coconut for now, as it's just too high in saturated fats, and I need to lower my cholesterol and lose more weight.

Just to put into perspective - 1 cup of almond milk is about 30 calories. 1 TABLESPOON of coconut milk is 34 calories.

Almond milk has zero saturated fat, coconut milk 16% saturated fat.

But, yeah, going vegan will not be the same as eating dairy and meat. It's an adjustment. I hope you find something that works for you, and that you're able to adapt. The payoff is worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 01:31 PM

7,352 posts, read 11,840,068 times
To be honest, no non-dairy milk tastes anything like the stuff you get from a cow. I think that in looking for a non-dairy milk you need to drop "tastes like cow's milk" as a criterion for your choice. Try for something that's tasty, satisfying and nothing like cow's milk. I recommend almond milk, which is higher in calcium than cow squeezin's and tastes great.

Old 09-15-2017, 12:55 AM

855 posts, read 1,727,423 times
You have to try them all to see what you prefer. I did that and I found I like Silk unsweetened vanilla cashew milk the best.

Old 09-15-2017, 01:28 AM

175 posts, read 369,447 times
Silk almond milk tastes horrible (to me). The store brands (Lucerne from Safeway or Great Value from Walmart) are so much better! Silk does make a pretty good almond milk coffee creamer. Silk soy milk is creamier than almond milk, and better for coffee. It tastes much better than soy milk tasted when I first tried it 20 years ago and vowed never to do that again.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:34 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,390,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
To be honest, no non-dairy milk tastes anything like the stuff you get from a cow. I think that in looking for a non-dairy milk you need to drop "tastes like cow's milk" as a criterion for your choice. Try for something that's tasty, satisfying and nothing like cow's milk. I recommend almond milk, which is higher in calcium than cow squeezin's and tastes great.
This is true. Even so, for me, I have yet to find any that taste drinkable at all to me. They all have a "dusty" texture that I can't quite get over.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:31 PM

28,226 posts, read 37,082,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
This is true. Even so, for me, I have yet to find any that taste drinkable at all to me. They all have a "dusty" texture that I can't quite get over.
I find the nut milks that are basically nuts soaked in water and blended are the tastiest by a landslide.

Old 09-16-2017, 11:12 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,938,184 times
I've found that Silk Vanilla Soymilk tastes the best for me.

The coconut milk is also not bad.

Rice milk is sweeter but the texture of it is thinner than soy/coconut milk.

Old 09-17-2017, 09:04 PM

9,434 posts, read 6,553,138 times
I gave up cow milk a couple of months ago. Now I alternate between coconut milk and almond milk. Almond milk has become my new favorite. I haven't tried rice milk or cashew milk. I won't touch soy milk, tried it for a while back around 2005 and didn't care for it and went back to cow milk. Back then my objection was only due to taste but now I won't consume it based on science and research as well. I don't want to hijack the thread so I will leave it at that.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:00 AM

2,320 posts, read 1,889,447 times
yes for years I used the vanilla almond milk (its a brand with the blue label, can't remember right now) its pretty creamy - it is carried at Trader Joes and its NOT Silk brand.

Pretty good.

Old 09-19-2017, 01:26 AM

14,814 posts, read 14,819,692 times
I've always used soymilk, going back to the early 90s. Silk is probably the most friendly brand for someone who is transitioning from dairy. A lot of people use almond milk but for me it tastes too nutty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food