Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 08:32 PM

17,419 posts, read 11,423,596 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to take the plunge and go vegetarian and mostly vegan if possible. I want to cut out dairy from my diet but I love milk. I have it with cereal but mostly in my coffee. I love ice coffee with milk in it and drink it every day when I come home from work. I recently bought Silk Almond milk unsweetened and am not very impressed. It's barely tolerable to me but I'm trying it for a few days to see if I can get used to it. Is there anything else out there that might taste more like real milk? I heard rice milk is watery and sweet so I know I wouldn't like that. How about coconut milk in the dairy section next to the almond milk? I was tempted to try that as well.
Powdered non dairy creamers seem to be filled with all kinds of chemicals. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. BTW, my milk consumption is about a gallon a week of regular milk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 12:06 AM

28,226 posts, read 37,018,178 times
Not all almomd milk is good. I like Califia the best. Try Oatly oatmillk. We had it at my coffee shop and it was delicious and had grrat texture.

I also like combo almond/coconut milks.

Old 09-09-2017, 12:11 AM

9,444 posts, read 6,623,461 times
I like almond milk in coffee and on cereal. But real milk is definitely better.

Old 09-09-2017, 05:07 AM

12,540 posts, read 2,147,826 times
I use Natural Bliss almond milk creamer (in refrigerated section), it's very good. It comes in several flavors and I believe they also make coconut milk creamer.

Old 09-09-2017, 05:08 AM

12,540 posts, read 2,147,826 times
For everyday use (cereal, etc.) I use Silk Protein almond/cashew blend.

Old 09-09-2017, 05:18 AM

17,419 posts, read 11,423,596 times
Thanks. I'm going back to the store this morning to find something else I might like. Right now, I'm drinking my morning coffee with the Silk almond milk and hating it. I've never put sugar in my coffee before but this almond milk makes my coffee bitter.

Old 09-09-2017, 05:38 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,728,975 times
I have been using organic unsweetened vanilla soy milk in my coffee for quite a while and like it. I occasionally add stevia when I miss sweetness.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:08 AM

337 posts, read 314,140 times
I have yet to find any plant-based milk that tastes anything similar to cow's milk. Personally I prefer rice milk for cereal, with coconut milk being second choice. But you're really just going to have to experiment until you find something that tastes acceptable to you.

Heads up: if you're looking to avoid excess chemicals and preservatives, even a lot of plant milks are full of "colorful" ingredients.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:29 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,357,244 times
I was an almost a gallon a week milk drinker. I just replaced it with water. I have yet to find an almond/rice/soy milk that I can even tolerate.

I don't drink coffee or eat cereal so I don't miss it there at all. Sometimes changing something like your eating means changing habits as well. Because you used to drink glasses of milk from a cow doesn't mean you have to automatically drink glasses of milk alternatives.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:37 PM

1,198 posts, read 672,261 times
I've been a plant milk drinker for years due to lactose intolerance (I can still tolerate yogurt though). Back in 1990 I started out with soy milk, then went on to almond milk for a very long time when that became popular. More recently I fell in love with cashew milk. I find that is is creamier and richer than almond milk, with a similar ingredient and nutrition profile. Cashew milk does not curdle when added to my coffee like other ones. It's also easy to make your own with a good blender or food processor and nutmilk bag or cheesecloth.

I think soy milk has the highest amount of nutrition for plant milks as far as protein, calcium, etc but I have to avoid it due to being on thyroid meds. It works best for baking or making plant based "buttermilk" because it curdles with a little lemon juice or vinegar added. The high protein content makes it work really well in baking cakes and pancakes.

There is a coconut milk based creamer out there for coffee but I have rarely ever used it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food