Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 08:55 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,941,830 times

Advertisements

I love it. It has a clean vegetable taste and its very healthy. I can't understand why someone would not like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 09:02 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,936,716 times
Wow, all this hummus hatred. It's hard to describe what it tastes like (and it does vary widely) but it can be great.

It hardly feels like jumping on a bandwagon when I've been eating it for more than half my life now. Plus I'm not sure what's wrong anyway with wanting to try new foods. It's one of life's safer pleasures. Some people are just not very open to new experiences.

Making it with rancid, or simply excessive, tahini can be a problem.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:03 AM

14,310 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
If you can't tell it is there, why add it? IME hummus is always plenty rich and creamy without adding anything extra to it.
LOL. That's what is called a "secret ingredient." Do you cook much or eat out much? Sometimes there is something just a little different or better about a certain dish, but you can't put your finger on what it is, and you want to know the secret. When you hear what the extra ingredient is, you might think it sounds insignificant or silly and the recipe should be just as good without it. But it isn't.

But if you don't like it, don't want it, think it's ridiculous, etc., then by all means keep on making whatever it is the usual way. No one cares!

Last edited by saibot; 09-14-2017 at 09:45 AM..

Old 09-14-2017, 09:19 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,936,716 times
Yucatan brand's organic guacamole has a little miso in it. Don't tell anybody, but I actually enjoy it.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:47 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
to me it tastes like what i won't say here, but I have had a few kinds with enough spices to make it edible. Trader joe's has some fairly good hummus. The problem, as much as the taste is the texture, just not my thing.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:13 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
LOL. That's what is called a "secret ingredient." Do you cook much or eat out much? Sometimes there is something just a little different or better about a certain dish, but you can't put your finger on what it is, and you want to know the secret. When you hear what the extra ingredient is, you might think it sounds insignificant or silly and the recipe should be just as good without it. But it isn't.

But if you don't like it, don't want it, think it's ridiculous, etc., then by all means keep on making whatever it is the usual way. No one cares!
As a vegan, I HATE secret ingredients! I want to know EXACTLY what is in things and do not like secrets. Especially unnecessary dairy

Old 09-14-2017, 10:13 AM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
I love hummus, but prefer it homemade.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-14-2017, 12:19 PM

5,345 posts, read 3,214,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
LOL. That's what is called a "secret ingredient."
It's not so much about being a "secret ingredient", or whether it meets someone's definition of hummus, as it is regional preferences. We get so pigeon holed into thinking that everything is black or white. There is no single master "hummus" recipe.

The Turks (Turkish Style Hummus), Palestinians and Jordanians (laban ma' hummus) each have their own version of hummus that contains yogurt.

Old 09-14-2017, 03:58 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
to me it tastes like what i won't say here, but I have had a few kinds with enough spices to make it edible. Trader Joe's has some fairly good hummus. The problem, as much as the taste is the texture, just not my thing.
I suspect that the solution is not to add extra ingredients, but to reduce or even remove one. That one is sesame.

Mix the ingredients in my recipe except for the sesame oil or tahini. Don't completely process it; just finely chop. Taste it. If you like it, you're set. If not add ¼ Tbsp or a scant tsp of sesame. Mix it a bit and give it a try. If it seems to be improving, adjust the amount further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I've tried all sorts of things in mine, but this is, to me, the best. I also have preferences in brands.

1 16 oz. can Kuner's Garbanzo Beans
a couple of cloves of garlic—pressed
3 ½ Tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp La Tourangelle Roasted Walnut Oil
1 Tbsp La Tourangelle Roasted Sesame Oil
Sprinkle of black pepper
Sprinkle of Cayenne
Salt

Process thoroughly—and I do mean thoroughly.

I pop it in to the freezer for a few minutes to cool.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:30 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,103,865 times
I recently saw a bunch of humus recipes (sorry Elletea - DIP!) that included avocado with the chick peas.
I love humus. I went to Israel and worked on a Kibbutz in 1990 and that was my first taste of it (along with falafal) and I have had an intense love affair with it ever since

I am a slacker though when it comes to making my own...

Roasted chick peas are delicious too - just open a couple of cans, put them on a cookie sheet with some olive oil and salt and roast them for 15 mins or so! You literally will eat the whole thing....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food