Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 03:11 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,512,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese...the usual stuff.
Just trying to pin down the cause of your issues. Could it be the lactose or the fats in the dairy?

I suspect the fats and it all depends on your intake of carbohydrates and the associated insulin response.

I am curious because a friend who has asthma was able to control it by eliminating dairy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 03:19 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,332,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Just trying to pin down the cause of your issues. Could it be the lactose or the fats in the dairy?

I suspect the fats and it all depends on your intake of carbohydrates and the associated insulin response.

I am curious because a friend who has asthma was able to control it by eliminating dairy.
All I know is I am no longer in pain! I can NEVER go back to dairy, I can never go back to being almost immobile.

Old 11-09-2017, 03:23 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,576,894 times
Where are the moderators? I have read the same thing over and over, this makes 3 threads.
Yes, this thread is trollish.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:31 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,615,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Just curious, what kind of dairy did you consume?
Why would it matter? Dairy consists of milk. It's not natural to consume milk after you've been weaned. And milk from a non-human is never natural.

At any rate, it's just super high in fat, and the worst kind - animal fat/saturated fat.

Now, I'm no militant vegan, but I'm someone who suffered from high blood pressure, etc., and cutting this stuff out has resulted in me being amazingly healthier, even in just 2 months, that I'm sold.

It's the kind of thing where all you can do is tell someone to just try it temporarily, and see if the results are worth the sacrifice. For me, hands down it has changed my life.

Two months ago, I could barely walk around the block. Now, I've signed up for 2 water exercise classes and walk twice a day. I'm still fat, so it will take time, but I actually want to go for walks and go exercise, and have lost 13 pounds - and I'm not hungry. I am on the starch-based McDougall diet, which allows me to eat all the starch I want. Losing weight, way healthier, way more energy - and never hungry. You'd think it was too good to be true.

For all of the above, I have to resist cheese and oil and meat. It's getting easier every day, since I'm seeing the payoff.

Last edited by NoMoreSnowForMe; 11-09-2017 at 08:39 PM..

Old 11-09-2017, 08:59 PM

17,681 posts, read 13,476,466 times
All I know is if chickens, pigs, cows, etc. were higher up the food chain, they would be eating us!

Old 11-09-2017, 09:10 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,615,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
All I know is if chickens, pigs, cows, etc. were higher up the food chain, they would be eating us!
Cows are herbivores, so nope, they would not.

Old 11-10-2017, 04:33 AM

1,198 posts, read 667,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Why would it matter? Dairy consists of milk. It's not natural to consume milk after you've been weaned. And milk from a non-human is never natural.

At any rate, it's just super high in fat, and the worst kind - animal fat/saturated fat.

Now, I'm no militant vegan, but I'm someone who suffered from high blood pressure, etc., and cutting this stuff out has resulted in me being amazingly healthier, even in just 2 months, that I'm sold.

It's the kind of thing where all you can do is tell someone to just try it temporarily, and see if the results are worth the sacrifice. For me, hands down it has changed my life.

Two months ago, I could barely walk around the block. Now, I've signed up for 2 water exercise classes and walk twice a day. I'm still fat, so it will take time, but I actually want to go for walks and go exercise, and have lost 13 pounds - and I'm not hungry. I am on the starch-based McDougall diet, which allows me to eat all the starch I want. Losing weight, way healthier, way more energy - and never hungry. You'd think it was too good to be true.

For all of the above, I have to resist cheese and oil and meat. It's getting easier every day, since I'm seeing the payoff.
But this is the thing. I can't even count the number of times people have tried to push eating oil free, dairy free, fat free, grain free, gluten free etc on me as the healthiest most natural choice bla bla. I have been told that the way I eat is unhealthy because I enjoy grains, or a little dairy. I have never had high blood pressure, have never been overweight (in fact spent over half my life underweight), have always been active. I have hypothyroidism but no particular diet or cutting out any food has been a miracle for me. I was even raw vegan (no oil either) for a while. I choose to eat some dairy and eggs now and I still maintain, am still very active, still have low blood pressure and lower cholesterol. I'm happy that certain diets work for certain people, but this doesn't mean they are best for everyone. And there are MANY unnatural foods we eat. The apples and carrots we eat nowadays are far removed from their natural ancestors. They have been genetically modified over many years by humans. Eating bananas and coconut shipped from halfway around the world isn't all that natural either. Doesn't mean we should condemn it.

Old 11-10-2017, 05:05 AM

88,829 posts, read 85,222,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinwomb View Post
But this is the thing. I can't even count the number of times people have tried to push eating oil free, dairy free, fat free, grain free, gluten free etc on me as the healthiest most natural choice bla bla. I have been told that the way I eat is unhealthy because I enjoy grains, or a little dairy. I have never had high blood pressure, have never been overweight (in fact spent over half my life underweight), have always been active. I have hypothyroidism but no particular diet or cutting out any food has been a miracle for me. I was even raw vegan (no oil either) for a while. I choose to eat some dairy and eggs now and I still maintain, am still very active, still have low blood pressure and lower cholesterol. I'm happy that certain diets work for certain people, but this doesn't mean they are best for everyone. And there are MANY unnatural foods we eat. The apples and carrots we eat nowadays are far removed from their natural ancestors. They have been genetically modified over many years by humans. Eating bananas and coconut shipped from halfway around the world isn't all that natural either. Doesn't mean we should condemn it.
Good post. The human body is able to adjust to variety in its diet and control its food supply. That's one of the reasons for the survival of the species.

Old 11-10-2017, 08:40 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,512,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

Please let me know how your starch diet worked out for you in a few months. I am curious. If it did then great, but I don't believe a starch diet would be good for anybody. It's like saying eating pure rice and potatoes would be healthy. Since when?

Old 11-11-2017, 10:18 PM

24,146 posts, read 32,616,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
My friends daughter and son in law used to lecture her parents all the time about eating vegan. He loaned her his van (her dad) and when she brought it back she had McDonalds bags stuffed under the seat. That told me that most of them eat what they want anyway but like to put on the appearance they are better than you and know it all....
And plenty of meat eaters lecture vegetarians and vegans.

Some meat eaters think THEY know it all. Lectures about protein, biblical quotes, tradition, how difficult it is to prepare for for veg*ns - on and on.

I do not post gruesome pictures on Facebook. I find it to be counter productive, and many people are sensitive and can not deal with these images.

However, I frequently post memes featuring baby lambs, piglets and baby chicks. Sometimes playing with children or domesticated companion animals.

In the past, these innocuous posts have brought out comments such as "mmmm bacon". Or "I feel an urge for ribs!" or "can I have that lamb with mint jelly?" And other intentionally insensitive remarks.

In the early days of Facebook, I would argue. Now I issue one warning if the person has other redeeming qualities or if I must deal with them in some way.

If they are random Facebook people, I just block and delete. If they don't realize what they are doing after I call them out - delete and block.

I have NO TIME for intentionally cruel people. NONE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food