Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 03:43 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,420,150 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who is constantly broadcasting her vegan status.

Then, she says, but I eat salmon sometimes. Oh, we had dinner last night and my daughter apologized for using butter and eggs in the recipe. Daughter is also always touting her veganism.

This happens constantly.

At work the other day she offered me a Dunkin Donuts croissant dripping with butter. I said no, thank you.

Her very snarky reply”Oh, isn’t vegan enough for you, is it?” I have never, ever made any comment about her supposed vegan diet/lapses.

The only way anyone figures out I’m vegan is if we get to the point of having meals together.
Then it becomes pretty obvious.

But people who brag about it when they’re really not following a vegan diet- really odd.

Why set yourself up for all the confrontations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 04:06 PM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
All snobs are bad.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-19-2017, 04:15 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,420,150 times
And some are amusing.

Old 11-20-2017, 07:11 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
I have a friend who is constantly broadcasting her vegan status.

Then, she says, but I eat salmon sometimes. Oh, we had dinner last night and my daughter apologized for using butter and eggs in the recipe. Daughter is also always touting her veganism.

This happens constantly.

At work the other day she offered me a Dunkin Donuts croissant dripping with butter. I said no, thank you.

Her very snarky reply”Oh, isn’t vegan enough for you, is it?” I have never, ever made any comment about her supposed vegan diet/lapses.

The only way anyone figures out I’m vegan is if we get to the point of having meals together.
Then it becomes pretty obvious.

But people who brag about it when they’re really not following a vegan diet- really odd.

Why set yourself up for all the confrontations.
Right now it's kind of the "cool" thing to say you are vegan. People are jumping on the bandwagon, which is GOOD is f they are serious...but a lot of them are not.

I have a friend that I interact with only on Facebook as she lives in another state. She was a HUGE seafood eater, would take trips to New England specifically to eat all the crab and lobster she could. In the last 6 months, she's been talking about how she's "so vegan" now and post hashtags like "veganlife" or "Idon'teatanimals". I had a feeling it was a phase and guess what? She's on vacation right now and the first thing she posted was a picture of their dinner which was at one of those seafood places that dumps a bucket of dead sea creatures on your table and you at it with you hands. I so want to say "I thought you were vegan?" but it's not worth it.

Another example is a coworker of my boyfriend who says he is vegan but eats eggs. Again, some people just like the "title" for some reason!

Old 11-20-2017, 08:34 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
I had to endure that for a while when my two very eligible sons were on the dating circuit. They's bring these skinny little model wannabes around who would go through the whole litany about eating animals, natures way, no flesh, etc. I stocked a few vegan dishes in the freezer so they couldn't sit out at our house and mope about nothing to eat when we were grilling meats. I think they rather enjoyed the moping.

One of my sons married one of the vegans and I now make alternative dishes when we have family events. One good thing is she is quite an eater. For 110 pound tall girl she can pack it away and she isn't afraid of carbs. And, if you put enough premium olive oil on anything it will be tasty. My sister used to put a half a cup of real good olive oil on a plate and drop a slice of bread on it and eat it with a knife and fork.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:58 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I had to endure that for a while when my two very eligible sons were on the dating circuit. They's bring these skinny little model wannabes around who would go through the whole litany about eating animals, natures way, no flesh, etc. I stocked a few vegan dishes in the freezer so they couldn't sit out at our house and mope about nothing to eat when we were grilling meats. I think they rather enjoyed the moping.

One of my sons married one of the vegans and I now make alternative dishes when we have family events. One good thing is she is quite an eater. For 110 pound tall girl she can pack it away and she isn't afraid of carbs. And, if you put enough premium olive oil on anything it will be tasty. My sister used to put a half a cup of real good olive oil on a plate and drop a slice of bread on it and eat it with a knife and fork.
It all depends on the person, of course, but vegans/plant based eaters can often eat a larger volume of food because the basis of their diet is generally lower calorie, lower fat. Look at the elephant who eats pretty much all day long!

Old 12-14-2017, 09:48 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,663,100 times
I recommend watching this video if you want to understand what it's like for a vegan to live in a world of meat eaters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poxl0K9UrP0&vl=en

Old 12-15-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
I recommend watching this video if you want to understand what it's like for a vegan to live in a world of meat eaters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poxl0K9UrP0&vl=en

Yeah, no. WTH?

Old 12-15-2017, 01:58 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,663,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yeah, no. WTH?
Did you watch it? What's your issue with it?

Old 12-15-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
Did you watch it? What's your issue with it?
I watched part, you are really stretching trying to make it applicable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food