Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2017, 05:01 PM

23,878 posts, read 32,156,993 times

Advertisements

....which one do you serve?

Are there any new ones that people might not have tried that you can suggest?

I have not eaten meat since 1989. I made my first and last, Turkey.

When I discovered Tofuky in the 1990s, I once ordered it by mail, until it was available in local heath food stores, back in NY, where I originally am from.

Now I live in Ohio, and Tofuky is available at mainstream supermarkets.

I have grown fond of Tofurky over the years. It might be, in part, that I associate it with happy times. It's taste is connected with good times. My children grew up with Tofurky on the table for Thanksgiving, often, Christmas, and other festive events. I've come to love it left over, sliced thinly on a sandwich.

Consider me a fan.

HOWEVER - lately I've been wondering if there is anything new. I know about Field Roast and I like it, but the one I tried tasted more like a sausage.

What are the other options that you have tried?

I am aware that not everyone likes or uses fake meats. I don't eat as much of them as I once did, but they are still something that we eat on occasion.
I am asking for other fake meats that you have tried, not for alternatives to meat analogues. We enjoy the stuffing and traditional sides. Judging by sales, others do too. I just don't want to make this a debate about "meat analogues".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2017, 05:14 PM

9,478 posts, read 12,221,114 times
Are you vegetarian or vegan? If you're vegetarian, I'd recommended Quorn roast. It's amazing. It's not vegan, sadly.

A lot of people love Gardein roast, but I've not tried it. Too many of them come with stuffing included which I hate so I do without.

Last edited by ElleTea; 11-12-2017 at 09:43 PM..

Old 11-13-2017, 06:03 AM

23,878 posts, read 32,156,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Are you vegetarian or vegan? If you're vegetarian, I'd recommended Quorn roast. It's amazing. It's not vegan, sadly.

A lot of people love Gardein roast, but I've not tried it. Too many of them come with stuffing included which I hate so I do without.
Yes! You reminded me of the Quorn roast. I might try it myself, or with my husband, but most of the millennials and their significant others are strict vegans. We are not, but we lean vegan.

I LOVE Quorn products, they are tasty and lend themselves to good recipes, but most seem to have some egg white in them.

Sometimes I feel like writing to Quorn and pleading for more vegan products. especially the holiday roast.

How does Gardein compare with Tofurky? I make my own stuffing, and I have no need for their stuffings.
I wish they would make them optional.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Yes! You reminded me of the Quorn roast. I might try it myself, or with my husband, but most of the millennials and their significant others are strict vegans. We are not, but we lean vegan.

I LOVE Quorn products, they are tasty and lend themselves to good recipes, but most seem to have some egg white in them.

Sometimes I feel like writing to Quorn and pleading for more vegan products. especially the holiday roast.

How does Gardein compare with Tofurky? I make my own stuffing, and I have no need for their stuffings.
I wish they would make them optional.
I tried the Tofurky roast early in my vegetarian days, about 20 years ago. I thought it was absolutely awful, mostly because of the stuffing, and have never bought it since! I remember thinking "No wonder people think fake meats are a joke!"

I have not tried the Gardein one, but a lot of people love it in my vegan groups. I can tell you that Gardein's other products are very good, so I imagine the roast would be as well. I just hate that they come already filled with stuffing. For that reason I doubt I will ever try them myself.

Quorn is well aware of the fact that they need to figure out how to make their stuff vegan It's always in the comments of anything they post on Facebook.

Old 11-16-2017, 01:02 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,636,065 times
I loved the Gardein Holiday Roast. Went to several health food stores and apparently there is some issues with the distributors. I saw a review recently of vegan holiday roast. They rated Gardein's Holiday Roast as #1, then came Trader Joe's version. Not a fan of the Tofurkey Roast.

Old 11-18-2017, 05:04 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,643,546 times
There are other Field Roasts that don't taste like sausage. Gardien roast is better. We may add that to our repast.

Old 11-24-2017, 05:51 AM

4,028 posts, read 2,091,712 times
I hate Tofurky, but like the texture and taste of Celebration Roast.

Old 11-24-2017, 03:14 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,643,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
I hate Tofurky, but like the texture and taste of Celebration Roast.

Tofurky isn't the best, but it was the first.

That said, I've come to enjoy it. I just had a sandwich with a thin slice of tofurky, cranberry relish, greens, stiffing and a slice of onion with some dairy free mayo on whole grain toast.

Can anyone tell me what Celebration roast tastes like?

I've had Field Roast and I really like it. I am not a true vegan, but two of my adult children and their spouses are.

I think eating less meat is a growing trend, not a fad.

Old 11-27-2017, 02:39 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,685,112 times
I have had such oogy experiences with other fake meats that I've never tried a mock turkey. I would recommend the perfect intersection of meatless meat and stuffing: the vegetarian haggis.

Vegetarian Haggis Recipe - Allrecipes.com

I can't see my recipe online at the moment, but this is in the right ballpark. It's sort of a bean loaf with walnuts, sage, onion, celery and carrot. I strongly prefer brown lentils to the red kind when making haggis. They can be served in the fancy little ramekins you baked them in.

Old 11-28-2017, 09:27 AM

I went to an all vegan potluck on Thursday and they had Tofurky and Tofurky ham. The ham wasn't bad, the traditional turkey one was NOT good. Still don't like it LOL It has a rubbery/spongy texture that I just can't deal with. Can't comment on the gravy or stuffing as I don't like either so I didn't try it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food