Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 09:17 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,378,572 times

Advertisements

I made this recently. AMAZING. The house smelled so good while it was cooking, I couldn't wait for it to be done

https://sweetpeasandsaffron.com/slow...-lentil-curry/

Old 12-10-2017, 09:19 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,728,795 times
If you guys like tacos or burritos, they're super easy fast food. Even if you just buy canned whole or refried beans. You can add rice, if you want to - which you can even buy ready for the microwave in the freezer section at Trader Joe's.

And instead of chopping veggies, buy some cans of chopped tomatoes and chiles. The brand I see here, is Ro-Tel, in the hispanic section of the grocery store. And some tortillas. And if you guys eat cheese, throw in some cheese. I add frozen corn kernels which I nuke with my mix of beans/rice/veggies.

To reheat corn tortillas, get a skillet hot, no oil, run the tortillas under the tap water for a few seconds, then throw on the hot, dry grill. Wait until it's not sticking, then flip it - they turn out like fresh cooked. Or if you just get flour tortillas, wet paper towels and put them between the wet paper towels and microwave them for around 30 seconds.

You can cook beans in a slow cooker, too, by the way. Just put the beans and water in the crock pot, and they'll cook slowly without having to watch a pot.

Fresh cilantro will make everything yummier, and make the house smell amazing, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 12:14 PM

7,352 posts, read 11,828,551 times
APPLE CIDER BEANS

4 16-oz cans of different soup beans, all different sizes and colors -- I use 1 can butter beans, 1 can light red pinto beans, 1 can dark red pinto beans and 1 can Great Northern beans, drained
2 c apple cider (unsweetened apple juice will do in a pinch)
2 LARGE parsnips, peeled and chopped
2 LARGE carrots, peeled and chopped
3 LARGE ribs of celery, chopped
2 LARGE apples, skin left on, chopped
2 Tbsps instant onion
1/2 tsp chili powder (or more to taste)
1/2 tsp black pepper

Toss everything into the slow cooker and stir. Then tie a 2" piece of cinnamon stick and 3 whole cloves into a sachet made of kitchen twine and cheesecloth. Imbed the sachet into the bean mixture before you cover the slow cooker. Cook on high 4 hours or on low 8 hours and it's ready to go. Discard the sachet before serving. Great over rice or as a side dish with meat.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:49 PM

1 posts, read 433 times
keep it up

Old 01-26-2018, 02:06 PM

7,352 posts, read 11,828,551 times
APPLE CIDER BEANS

1 15-oz can butter beans, drained
1 15-oz can light red kidney beans, drained
1 15-oz can dark red kidney beans or black beans, drained
1 15-oz can Great Northern or cannellini beans, drained
3 LARGE celery ribs or 6 smaller ones, chopped or sliced into horseshoes
3 small or 2 large firm baking apples like Granny Smith or Royal Galas, chopped but not peeled
2 cups apple cider (apple juice will do in a pinch)
1/4 to 1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp black pepper
3 Tbsps instant minced onion (or add 1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped fresh onion)
3 whole cloves
2" cinnamon stick

Tie the cloves and cinnamon stick into a small piece of cheesecloth using kitchen twine. Sling everything else in the slow cooker and embed sachet containing the cloves and cinnamon stick into the mixture before covering the cooker and setting it on low, to cook 8 hours, or high, to cook 4 hours. Best served over rice. Tastes even better the next day.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:08 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,378,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
APPLE CIDER BEANS

3 small or 2 large firm baking apples like Granny Smith or Royal Galas, chopped but not peeled
1/4 tsp black pepper
3 whole cloves
2" cinnamon stick

Tie the cloves and cinnamon stick into a small piece of cheesecloth using kitchen twine. Sling everything else in the slow cooker and embed sachet containing the cloves and cinnamon stick into the mixture before covering the cooker and setting it on low, to cook 8 hours, or high, to cook 4 hours. Best served over rice. Tastes even better the next day.
That sounds really good!

Old 01-27-2018, 01:41 PM

27,073 posts, read 12,016,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
APPLE CIDER BEANS

1/4 tsp black pepper
3 whole cloves
2" cinnamon stick

Yum...bet that a cider brings a great flavor!

Old 03-04-2018, 09:56 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,393,996 times
My 'go-to' for vegetarian recipes has always been allrecipes.com. I like the site because you can search for meals by name or by main ingredients (for instance, if you want to find a recipe using eggplant, put that in the search engine and you'll come up with countless eggplant recipes), and for 'slow cooker' if you wish. Recipes receive ratings based upon people who have tried them, and feedback from reviewers also help to give you a great idea as to whether a certain recipe would be right for you. Reviewers also make suggestions for improving upon some of the posted recipes, often making an 'okay' meal much better. And as soon as you go to their site, suggestions for highly-rated recipes automatically show up. When you sign on as a member, you can bookmark your favourite recipes to refer to them time and again.

Here are the names of a few recipes that I like from the site (name of the submitter in parentheses)...apologies, as many of these aren't specifically slow cooker meals (*, slow cooker), but all are vegetarian:

Spinach Enchiladas (SADONIA2)

*Vegetarian Pumpkin Spinach Chili (Dani)

Pumpkin, Kale, and Black Bean Stew (Always Cooking Up Something)

Mushrooms with a Soy Sauce Glaze (STEVEANDANGELA)

Pesto-Stuffed Grilled Portobellos (Larry Short)

Superb Sauteed Mushrooms (IrishMountainGirl)

*Vegetarian Slow Cooker Meal (limetango)

Delicious Black Bean Burritos (jessie)

Eggplant with Garlic Sauce (whats that Burning smell?) [This recipe I absolutely love, as I love eggplant/garlic sauce dishes from restaurants, but most here add hot spices, which I cannot eat.]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food