Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2017, 04:39 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,481,162 times

Advertisements

Hi! I’m not a vegetarian (first time posting here). I have a vegetarian staying with me and I want to make veggie friendly meals. While I’m an omnivore, I really don’t care if I eat meat or not. I have a few recipe ideas already, but I’d like a crock pot recipe for one day (and for leftovers) since we have plans to be out all day on Sunday.

My crockpot recipe books aren’t very helpful for meatless “main dishes.” I’m open to anything but prefer high fiber meals for my own dietary needs. My vegetarian relative eats dairy and eggs and doesn’t really care for tofu. Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2017, 07:55 PM

1,198 posts, read 660,824 times
The recipe below is not actually a crockpot recipe, but can easily be made this way and in fact I have done it many times, just throwing all the ingredients in there and adding some water/vegetable broth to cover everything. I also added red lentils to the recipe for a boost of protein. Seriously this is an amazing soup! It is thick and hearty and very flavorful. I never would have imagined tomatoes tasting good with saurkraut and potatoes and cabbage but this really works!

Cabbage Potato and Sauerkraut Soup: An All Creatures Vegetarian Vegan Recipe

Another one, though more of a breakfast dish, is along the lines of the one below, which is a millet based crockpot recipe. I LOVE millet and apples/cinnamon for breakfast, with the crockpot going the night before. Though the recipe below calls for rice milk, this will work with any plant milk or dairy milk. I've also just used mostly water with one of the cups being cashew or almond milk. there are so many variations. Last week I did millet with orange juice and shredded coconut in the crockpot along with ginger powder and pinch of turbinado sugar.

https://www.cookstr.com/Slow-Cooker/...et-with-Apples

Old 12-03-2017, 08:10 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Black bean and squash chili? Vegetable curry? 15 bean soup?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-04-2017, 11:51 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,760,432 times
Vegetarian baked beans? Lentil soup? Lasagna? Tamale pie? Fruit-loaded slow-cooker oatmeal? Baked acorn squash filled with rice, cranberries or apples and nuts?

Baked beans:
https://www.averiecooks.com/2013/05/...ked-beans.html

Tamale pie:
https://www.cleaneatingmag.com/recip...ian-tamale-pie

Shepherd's pie, meatless:
VEGAN Crock Pot Shepherds Pie - What Vegan Kids Eat

Sweet Potato & Lentils for the slow cooker:
https://pinchofyum.com/crockpot-sweet-potato-lentils

Old 12-04-2017, 12:01 PM

130,259 posts, read 12,099,804 times
oh that tamale pie looks awesome. Lentils are great too, but they have lot of fiber. Well so do beans, so maybe you will have to keep your portions small.

Old 12-04-2017, 04:31 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,760,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
oh that tamale pie looks awesome. Lentils are great too, but they have lot of fiber. Well so do beans, so maybe you will have to keep your portions small.

You make "a lot of fiber" sound like a bad thing..?

Old 12-04-2017, 04:46 PM

923 posts, read 526,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
You make "a lot of fiber" sound like a bad thing..?
If you don't drink enough fluids, it sure can be. Balance, moderation

Old 12-04-2017, 04:48 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Madras lentils!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-07-2017, 06:40 PM

24,114 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post
Hi! I’m not a vegetarian (first time posting here). I have a vegetarian staying with me and I want to make veggie friendly meals. While I’m an omnivore, I really don’t care if I eat meat or not. I have a few recipe ideas already, but I’d like a crock pot recipe for one day (and for leftovers) since we have plans to be out all day on Sunday.

My crockpot recipe books aren’t very helpful for meatless “main dishes.” I’m open to anything but prefer high fiber meals for my own dietary needs. My vegetarian relative eats dairy and eggs and doesn’t really care for tofu. Thanks!

If you want an easy night - perhaps the first night, get about 4 cans of Amy's Vegan Chill. It's delicious and I have served it to omnivores and they have ALL liked it.

Doctor it up a bit with 3 cans of your choice of beans (canned and rinsed) frozen organic white corn, Rottel Mexican style tomatoes, 3 cans if you are adding the beans and corn, a jar of salsa. Add cumin,cilantro if you like, other Mexican spices.

Make some rice - brown, wild, white or a mixture of the three. Serve with vegan cornbread or any loaf of vegan bread.

This recipe (if you could call it that) can be served inside of hard tacos or flour tortillas. Just offer shredded Daiya cheese, (vegan) vegan sour cream,shredded lettuce and diced onions and tomatoes.

You can eat dairy sour cream and cheese if you like.

Another easy dinner would be pre-made veggie burgers, on vegan rolls, fresh sweet potatoes with maple syrup and roasted root vegetables.

You can also make a vegan veggie soup together.

Keep lots of fruit in the house. Clementines, apples, bananas, and pears are good.

Keep Ezekiel English muffins in the house with vegan spread. Earth Balance is good to keep in the house, as are steel cut oats.

I love Tofurky rand Deli Slices for sandwiches. Keep mustard and veganaise (vegan mayo) on hand.

Desert can be fruit salad or store bought ice cream."So" is good.

Best of luck!

Old 12-08-2017, 04:49 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,481,162 times
Hey, I’ve been to busy to check back in. I’m doing my shopping today. Thank you all for the recipe ideas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food