Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 12:35 AM

24,151 posts, read 32,568,370 times

Advertisements

....they have been bought by Maple Leaf foods, a meat producer?

I am very disappointed. How could they think that people would not be upset?

I love Field Roast. We had it for the first time on Thanksgiving. It was so good!

Do you feel conflicted as I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2017, 12:47 AM

14,520 posts, read 8,780,076 times
Nope, no conflict here. I love their products and use the various slices mainly in building sandwiches. Yum!
Perhaps I'm naive: about what would the conflict arise?

Old 12-12-2017, 06:58 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,230,045 times
Many of the organic and "natural" brand foods are owned by large corporations. As long as the new owner keeps Field Roast vegan or substantially the same, should there be an issue? The article I found about Maple Leaf Foods acquiring Field Roast Grain Meat indicated that Maple Leaf views it as an "alternative protein."

I find it odd that Field Roast includes the word "Meat" in its name.

Old 12-12-2017, 08:22 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,318,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Lily View Post
Many of the organic and "natural" brand foods are owned by large corporations. As long as the new owner keeps Field Roast vegan or substantially the same, should there be an issue?
This is how I feel as well. You can't get too hung up on what big name company owns what smaller company as long as the smaller companies keep to their standards and practices.

Old 12-14-2017, 12:11 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,782,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
This is how I feel as well. You can't get too hung up on what big name company owns what smaller company as long as the smaller companies keep to their standards and practices.

That would be my only concern. People rave about Field Roast and it would be a shame if the recipes changed.

Old 12-18-2017, 02:00 PM

While I am somewhat disappointed, it is not going to deter me from enjoying Field Roast.

There are many on Facebook who are quite outraged by this, and plan to boycott Field Roast. I have no such plans.

Old 12-19-2017, 07:54 AM

I guess another way to look at it is this:

the more the demand for plant based protein goes up and the demand for meat goes down, meat producers are going to be forced to look outside of meat to keep being profitable. I would hate to see veg*ns boycott a vegan item when we need to be doing the opposite...helping to increase demand!

Old 12-19-2017, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I guess another way to look at it is this:

the more the demand for plant based protein goes up and the demand for meat goes down, meat producers are going to be forced to look outside of meat to keep being profitable. I would hate to see veg*ns boycott a vegan item when we need to be doing the opposite...helping to increase demand!

That is how I feel.

I think any boycott is ultimately self defeating and unhelpful to the popularization and mainstream acceptance of alternative protein sources. Field Roast does not try to imitate any particular meat, as far as I can taste. It's just a roast. many omnivores who I know, have tried it and enjoy it.

Similarly, I do not avoid (nor do I frequent) chain and fast food restaurants that have made an attempt to accommodate vegans, vegetarians and others. If I am on the road, I will stop at Red Robin or Chilies because their veggie burgers are edible and inexpensive.

Old 12-20-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
That is how I feel.

I think any boycott is ultimately self defeating and unhelpful to the popularization and mainstream acceptance of alternative protein sources. Field Roast does not try to imitate any particular meat, as far as I can taste. It's just a roast. many omnivores who I know, have tried it and enjoy it.

Similarly, I do not avoid (nor do I frequent) chain and fast food restaurants that have made an attempt to accommodate vegans, vegetarians and others. If I am on the road, I will stop at Red Robin or Chilies because their veggie burgers are edible and inexpensive.
I am happy to go to Taco Bell for the same reason! They are a vegans friend

Old 04-07-2018, 04:00 PM

1,406 posts, read 804,274 times
Do you boycott grocery stores and restaurants that sell meat or dairy? Just don't buy the products that have the ingredients you find objectionable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food