Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 01:40 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
If I find myself in a McD's, yes. The only reason I would ever enter a McDs or similar fast food chain outlet is if I'm traveling and need to take a leak and that fast food outlet is the nearest location. Having something edible to order (as opposed to just a drink that I'll toss in the trash) is better than nothing.

The worst place to be veg*n and traveling, within the Western world anyway, is the North American heartland away from the coasts - on both sides of the 49th parallel.

I KNOW! Traveling is really the only time I "need" fast food. I will say this - the bathrooms are generally clean.

On major interstate highways, they come in handy. However, when it comes to the dubious hierarchy of fast food chains, McDonalds is way down there, even among many people who consume meat.

There really is something to the idea that fast food is addictive, and when it is introduced to children at a young age, they seem to develop an insatiable craving for it.
That's why I think they target lower income and working class neighborhoods and towns - to get people "hooked" early.

My hometown did not allow any place with neon signs (unless they were historic to the buildings. The enforcement against FF restaurants was not just McDonalds - it was across the board.We had a number of thriving "Mom and Pop" places that sold hamburgers, among other things, and they did it to protect the interest of small business owners.

One village over, there was a Howard Johnson's and a Wetsons, an old burger chain.

I was an omnivore when I went away to college. One night, a couple of students had a craving for "Mickey Dee's". I seriously had no idea what they were talking about. It was there that I tried my first - and last McDonalds burger. It was pretty awful.

But, I'm still happy that they've entered the 21st Century.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 03:20 PM

29,506 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Yes as mentioned previously McDonald's fries aren't vegan as their "natural beef flavoring" contains hydrolyzed milk (but still no actual beef in it). Their fries are cooked up in vegetable oils.

I'm not that strict of a vegan where consumption of such fries would turn me off, and it doesn't bother me either if the same cooking surface was used for meat.

The McDonald's in India doesn't use any beef flavoring and only vegetable oil to cook up fries, so I suppose theirs are vegan, and it depends on each country and venue what they do.

Old 12-22-2017, 04:57 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Yes as mentioned previously McDonald's fries aren't vegan as their "natural beef flavoring" contains hydrolyzed milk (but still no actual beef in it). Their fries are cooked up in vegetable oils.

I'm not that strict of a vegan where consumption of such fries would turn me off, and it doesn't bother me either if the same cooking surface was used for meat.

The McDonald's in India doesn't use any beef flavoring and only vegetable oil to cook up fries, so I suppose theirs are vegan, and it depends on each country and venue what they do.

Not appetizing. I'm not sure why French Fries are supposed to taste like beef.

Old 12-22-2017, 11:51 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble and Kind View Post
I thought to be vegan it couldn't be cooked on same flattop/dish/pot/etc as meat had been cooked? Is this true?
Vegans arent going to go for a product thats been cooked on the same stove a regular burger has been cooked on,they will also balk at the same cooking utensils being used on their vegan concoctions.. got a friend whos daughter is vegan an as a result she has to have an entire second set of cookware to accommodate her vegan daughter.

Old 12-23-2017, 09:32 AM

1,326 posts, read 1,137,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
Vegan and vegetarian people tend to be quite hippy and anti McDonald's anyhow.
What a weird thing to say.

I'm a vegetarian. I won't eat there no matter what they add to the menu because I don't trust the chain as a whole.

Old 12-23-2017, 10:10 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Not appetizing. I'm not sure why French Fries are supposed to taste like beef.
It's not a matter of "supposed to." People find the added flavor appealing. Aren't the dozens of meat substitutes created in the same spirit? Vegan chicken, wings, sausage, etc.

Old 12-23-2017, 12:04 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
It's not a matter of "supposed to." People find the added flavor appealing. Aren't the dozens of meat substitutes created in the same spirit? Vegan chicken, wings, sausage, etc.
People generally don't actually love the taste of the meat itself...they love seasoning!

Old 12-30-2017, 08:49 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
If I find myself in a McD's, yes. The only reason I would ever enter a McDs or similar fast food chain outlet is if I'm traveling and need to take a leak and that fast food outlet is the nearest location. Having something edible to order (as opposed to just a drink that I'll toss in the trash) is better than nothing.

The worst place to be veg*n and traveling, within the Western world anyway, is the North American heartland away from the coasts - on both sides of the 49th parallel.
That cracked me up. I just did that yesterday on a route I travel regularly. I stop at a large, busy McD's just to pee on the way up every time.

I was pleasantly surprised to find some good vegetarian choices in a local cafe where I travel to in The Middle of Nowhere north of the 49th. They also sell veg dishes frozen to take home. But in a lot of small-town places in which I've eaten up here, my choices are very limited. In New Jersey, it's almost a given that there will be a non-meat-based soup available in a coffee shop or diner.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:17 AM

27,133 posts, read 13,429,141 times
McDonalds already serve Vegetarian Burgers in the UK, as well as Porridge Oats and pancakes and syrup as part of the breakfast menu and of course many of the deserts are also vegetarian.

I am sure a Vegan Burger will also be very welcome.

McDonalds UK - Vegetarian

Although Leon already provides the best vegetarian option in terms of fast food in the UK which is probably why McDonalds has had to up it's game and introduce more options. Leon has plans to expand to the US.

The British chain restaurants catering very well for vegans | Metro News

List of vegan-friendly options at UK chains

Home - LEON, Naturally Fast Food

Last edited by Brave New World; 12-30-2017 at 11:00 AM..

Old 12-30-2017, 10:23 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
McDonalds already serve Vegetarian Burgers in the UK, as well as Porridge Oats and pancakes and syrup as part of the breakfast menu and of course many of the deserts are also vegetarian.

I am sure a Vegan Burger will also be very welcome.

McDonalds UK - Vegetarian
Hmm, they make it from Chickpeas. Kind of like a humus burger I guess. I assumed it would be Tofu. Can vegans eat Tofu?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food