Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 11:15 AM

807 posts, read 1,033,309 times

Advertisements

I went vegetarian one year ago. I recently had blood work done, my cholesterol level was exactly the same as it was a year ago, 260. I do not take any meds.

Maybe a year isn't enough time to see any reduction, but I would have thought it would have dropped a little. Plus, I ended up in the hospital last week for blockage in my artery and had a stent put in, doctor said it was 99% blocked! How did it get worst over the past year when I was eating healthier. I'm perplexed and feel defeated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 11:22 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,973,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
I went vegetarian one year ago. I recently had blood work done, my cholesterol level was exactly the same as it was a year ago, 260. I do not take any meds.
Do you still eat eggs and dairy?

Old 03-16-2018, 12:01 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
Do you still eat eggs and dairy?
This is an important question. OP, you might want to review this Q&A from Dr. Michael Greger's website. Simple suggestions for possibly lowering cholesterol follow later in the piece.

What can I do to lower my cholesterol? It seems I’ve tried everything!
https://nutritionfacts.org/questions...ed-everything/

"For those who have tried eating a whole food plant-based diet and still have high LDL, you should make sure you’re not eating plant sources of saturated fat, such as palm kernal oil, palm oil, coconut oil, and cocoa butter (found in chocolate). Of course if you were you wouldn’t be eating a whole food plant-based diet, but you’d be surprised how many people tell me they are and they’re like “Yeah, and I eat a spoonful of coconut oil a day.” I’d also cut out unfiltered coffee. Then once you have gotten rid of the things that increase your cholesterol you need to pack your diet with foods that actively lower your choleserol. So, for example, the components of the portfolio diet for lowering cholesterol. I’ll highlight some of the diet tips found in Dr. Jenkins protocol using Dr. Greger’s videos as reference. "

Old 03-16-2018, 12:06 PM

807 posts, read 1,033,309 times
Cheese is my downfall. No more cow milk, I've been using almond milk for cooking and coffee. Only eat egg whites.

Old 03-16-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:

Maybe a year isn't enough time to see any reduction, but I would have thought it would have dropped a little. Plus, I ended up in the hospital last week for blockage in my artery and had a stent put in, doctor said it was 99% blocked! How did it get worst over the past year when I was eating healthier. I'm perplexed and feel defeated.
I imagine that your doctor suggested cholesterol-lowering drugs a year ago. It's always a good idea to be monitored on a regular basis by your doctor while changing your diet.

It has to be extremely frustrating, but there's really no need to feel defeated. Hopefully, a radical change in your diet would be beneficial. Of course, there are always some who will have to take statins.

Last edited by pacific2; 03-16-2018 at 12:23 PM..

Old 03-16-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Cheese is my downfall. No more cow milk, I've been using almond milk for cooking and coffee. Only eat egg whites.
Well, we know about cheese. I'd suggest that you look at the link I posted above because you may also be getting saturated fats from other processed foods. Always read labels.

Additionally, it may be easier for you to stay on track if you regularly follow one of the plant-based MDs:

Dr. Michael Greger's Nutrition Facts:
https://nutritionfacts.org/

Dr. John McDougall's Health & Medical Center:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/

Dr. Neal Barnard's Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine:
http://www.pcrm.org/?gclid=EAIaIQobC...SAAEgI4wvD_BwE

Last edited by pacific2; 03-16-2018 at 12:19 PM..

Old 03-16-2018, 12:19 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,978,672 times
I'm a vegetarian and have high cholesterol.

Old 03-16-2018, 12:52 PM

This video might give you some hope. Elena, an MD by the way, is a Type 1 diabetic who was rushed to the hospital with chest pains, and found to have suffered a heart attack.

To make a long story short, she refused heart surgery, underwent treatment by Dr. McDougall, still follows his program, and is doing quite well with far fewer meds and much less insulin.

Elena: Diabetes, Heart Attack & Subsequent Recovery – NEW
https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/e...s-video/elena/

"Univision TV star, Setareh Khatibi, and her mother, Elena, share the story at YouTube Space LA studios, of Elena’s recent heart attack and subsequent recovery. Joining the discussion are Lex of Mr. and Mrs. Vegan, and Robby of Mastering Diabetes. Using the McDougall plant based diet, Elena is not only improving the effects of her heart disease but also long standing diabetes type 1."

Last edited by pacific2; 03-16-2018 at 01:12 PM..

Old 03-16-2018, 01:05 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I'm a vegetarian and have high cholesterol.

Me too....family history.

Old 03-16-2018, 03:11 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:

I never had high cholesterol until I gave up eating meat.

I am not sure why. More cheese, maybe? But I had put on some weight overall after becoming a vegetarian, and my blood sugar and cholesterol both rose to levels that made my doctor say he wanted to put me on meds.

I said no and asked for six months to get it down with diet. Lost 27 pounds, and they both dropped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food