Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 08:34 PM

88,977 posts, read 85,515,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Let's make it a best-possible-case scenario and say the mother has had a double mastectomy and is therefore unable to produce any milk whatsoever.

It seems clear that the next best way to feed the baby would be with donated human breast milk. But this is not available everywhere and I think it would be very hard to obtain enough to feed the baby for an entire year.

Would a vegan mother choose a vegan milk substitute (e.g., soy formula) as the next best substitute? Or would the milk from another nursing mammal be considered acceptable in this case, as more natural/healthful for an infant than food made from plants?

Of course I know that vegan adults do not consume dairy products.

No judgment either way, I'm just curious what the vegan consensus (if any) would be.
My baby brother (now 48) could not tolerate any cow's milk when he was an infant, and my mother couldn't breastfeed for more than a few weeks. I remember he had a soybean formula called Pro-So-Bee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 09:02 PM

14,426 posts, read 11,896,976 times
Quote:
As I stated, I have had a double mastectomy (due to breast cancer). While I don't intend to have more babies, I am still at an age when I technically could. As I imagined, I know at least one other woman of childbearing age who has had a mastectomy. Surely there are more of us.
* mentioned . Sorry for error.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:25 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,611,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Knowing what I know now about how unnatural it is to consume milk from non-humans, and how plant nutrition is sufficient, I'd feed my baby plant-based milk. Probably something with higher fat content, which would be in human milk. So, probably soy, maybe coconut. I'd do research to see which had the best nutrients for a baby. Maybe a combo formula of plant based milks.

Its no more natural to eat plants than it is milk from other mammals. Neither come with a label saying "for human consumption". That's just imaginary. Animals eat what is edible. There are a whole host of dangerous plants that will kill you if you eat them. What is natural - is what is edible. Cow, goat and sheep milk are edible for a large number of the population, especially those with European ancestry. In fact - the only food in the world which is actually certainly made for humans is... human milk. Cow milk is far closer to that than say, potatoes, tofu or wheat.

This natural/non-natural dichotomy which is trotted out as something allegedly rational is in fact almost religious. What IS undeniably unnatural is giving a plant-based milk to a human baby prior to its weaning. So lighten up on the "unnatural" modifier unless you want to be hypocritical.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:58 PM

24,166 posts, read 32,711,607 times
Quote:
My question was sincere and much more likely to happen than a hypothetical choice of saving a human or saving an animal from a burning building.

As I stated, I have had a double mastectomy (due to breast cancer). While I don't intend to have more babies, I am still at an age when I technically could. As I imagined, I know at least one other woman of childbearing age who has had a mastectomy. Surely there are more of us.

Since I strongly support breastfeeding, I have given some thought to the problem of how I would feed a baby under these circumstances. It is not ideal. But is it "not ideal" enough for a woman to decide not to have a much-wanted baby, because she can't supply a baby's natural food? I imagine some women struggle with that.

I asked for a vegan perspective because I imagined that, more so than the average person, some vegans might feel conflicted--as I do--about feeding a new baby a purely plant-based formula (e.g., soy). And feel equally conflicted--as I do--about feeding a new baby the milk of another species. I thought the other replies I've had so far were thoughtful and I appreciated them. I'm sorry you're unwilling to add anything to the thread.
Fair enough. The reason that I thought it was hypothetical is that few women who have had breast cancer want to have children, because of the spike in estrogen which is thought by many to encourage the growth of cancer cells. Most women with breast cancer - even in remission - are cautioned NOT to become pregnant by their doctors.

But, I believe firmly that cows milk is for baby cows and not for human beings. I would not feed it to my infant.

I'd advise such a woman to research human milk banks or wet nurses. Secondarily, I'd look into plant based formulas. It's been 20 years since I've had a kid, so I'm not up to date as to weather they exist, but I am going to say that they probably do. The soy bean stuff has been around forever. But I have issues with soy.

Not only for ethical reasons, but for the health of the baby.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:02 PM

24,166 posts, read 32,711,607 times
Quote:
Let's make it a best-possible-case scenario and say the mother has had a double mastectomy and is therefore unable to produce any milk whatsoever.

It seems clear that the next best way to feed the baby would be with donated human breast milk. But this is not available everywhere and I think it would be very hard to obtain enough to feed the baby for an entire year.

Would a vegan mother choose a vegan milk substitute (e.g., soy formula) as the next best substitute? Or would the milk from another nursing mammal be considered acceptable in this case, as more natural/healthful for an infant than food made from plants?

No judgment either way, I'm just curious what the vegan consensus (if any) would be.
I am sorry. From the post, I did not realize that you, yourself were in such a position.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Fair enough. The reason that I thought it was hypothetical is that few women who have had breast cancer want to have children, because of the spike in estrogen which is thought by many to encourage the growth of cancer cells. Most women with breast cancer - even in remission - are cautioned NOT to become pregnant by their doctors.
Often true. My breast cancer was triple negative (not hormone-sensitive) so this wouldn't apply to me, but only about 20% of breast cancers are this type.

Old 04-13-2018, 12:53 AM

33,049 posts, read 36,676,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My baby brother (now 48) could not tolerate any cow's milk when he was an infant, and my mother couldn't breastfeed for more than a few weeks. I remember he had a soybean formula called Pro-So-Bee.
Yes, soy based formula has been around for a long time.

Old 04-13-2018, 12:58 AM

7,491 posts, read 4,997,130 times
Quote:

Old wives tales is that nursing a baby is only beneficial for six months, so no reason to expect maternal nourishment for One Year.

There is no substitute for maternal milk.

There are two options for a newborn baby food: nursing and powder food.
What do you think is better for women and their babies (regardless of the mother's food preferences)?

Old 04-13-2018, 01:17 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,162,961 times
My mom created a vegan formula when her & my dad fostered a newborn who had multiple food allergies & sensitivities & Failure to Thrive.

My mom was an RD, as well as having a PhD in Immunology & Biochem. Her recipe was nutritionally complete & the baby actually loved it; had doubled her weight in 2 months.

I will ask my dad if it’s still there but I bet it is. My mom passed away a year ago but we’ve kept all of her work, which was quite extensive.

Old 04-13-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
There are two options for a newborn baby food: nursing and powder food.
What do you think is better for women and their babies (regardless of the mother's food preferences)?
Obviously nursing is better (was that a serious question?) but powdered food is not the only other option. I know there are people who have taken, for instance, fresh goat's milk, added a few ingredients (some kind of sweetener, I think?) and successfully fed babies. No powder involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food