Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 12:10 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
My mom created a vegan formula when her & my dad fostered a newborn who had multiple food allergies & sensitivities & Failure to Thrive.

My mom was an RD, as well as having a PhD in Immunology & Biochem. Her recipe was nutritionally complete & the baby actually loved it; had doubled her weight in 2 months.

I will ask my dad if it’s still there but I bet it is. My mom passed away a year ago but we’ve kept all of her work, which was quite extensive.
That would be interesting to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 12:21 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Obviously nursing is better (was that a serious question?) but powdered food is not the only other option. I know there are people who have taken, for instance, fresh goat's milk, added a few ingredients (some kind of sweetener, I think?) and successfully fed babies. No powder involved.
Yes, I hope it wasn't a serious question, either, lol. But I don't get the reference to "powder".

I remember some 25 years ago or so, my sister had an Irish coworker, a nurse, who fed her baby canned condensed milk.

My mom could only ever breastfeed for about six weeks, then she would switch to formula. As a matter of fact, she found a little notebook from when I was an infant in which she wrote down what I had taken in and how much. At five days old, she gave me orange juice.

Old 04-13-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My mom could only ever breastfeed for about six weeks, then she would switch to formula. As a matter of fact, she found a little notebook from when I was an infant in which she wrote down what I had taken in and how much. At five days old, she gave me orange juice.

And yet, here you are.

Old 04-13-2018, 02:31 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:

And yet, here you are.
Yes. I'll be 60 in August. Mom is 89. She has a living uncle (he is only 93, though, 4 years older than she is.)

All these rules about not giving babies anything other than breast milk until they were 14 years old and whatnot didn't exist in 1958.

Even when my sister was pregnant for my niece, who just turned 40, the doctor told her not to have more than three alcoholic beverages a day. Can you imagine?

Old 04-13-2018, 02:38 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
I figure some vegans would want to seek out another vegan as a wet-nurse.

I disagree with the idea that vegans shouldn't want to reproduce. Everyone thinks their own children will make the world better, not worse. I would expect vegans as a group to want there to be more vegans, not fewer.

Old 04-13-2018, 04:00 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,296,361 times
Quote:
Obviously nursing is better (was that a serious question?) but powdered food is not the only other option. I know there are people who have taken, for instance, fresh goat's milk, added a few ingredients (some kind of sweetener, I think?) and successfully fed babies. No powder involved.
A vegan would not.

Old 04-13-2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
A vegan would not.
I wonder if there would be a vegan formula that doesn't requiring drying and reducing the ingredients to a powder. I'm not sure what that would be made of, but rehydrated powdered formula (no matter what the ingredients are) does seem relatively unhealthful and unappealing.

Old 04-13-2018, 06:45 PM

50,376 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I would not feed my baby anything but a formula. Otherwise, how would you know if the baby was getting the right balance of nutrients?

This being said, I have a copy of the formula recipe that I was given, 70 years ago, and all it was was evaporated milk, Karo syrup and water. That doesn’t sound like a healthy diet to me, but so far I am surviving.

Old 04-13-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I would not feed my baby anything but a formula. Otherwise, how would you know if the baby was getting the right balance of nutrients?

This being said, I have a copy of the formula recipe that I was given, 70 years ago, and all it was was evaporated milk, Karo syrup and water. That doesn’t sound like a healthy diet to me, but so far I am surviving.
It does sound like mothers used to start babies on foods other than milk at a very young age, which may have helped fill in some of the nutritional gaps.

Old 04-13-2018, 06:49 PM

50,376 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes. I'll be 60 in August. Mom is 89. She has a living uncle (he is only 93, though, 4 years older than she is.)

All these rules about not giving babies anything other than breast milk until they were 14 years old and whatnot didn't exist in 1958.

Even when my sister was pregnant for my niece, who just turned 40, the doctor told her not to have more than three alcoholic beverages a day. Can you imagine?
So true. See the post above. Breast feeding was not encouraged in the 50s and in the 60s. Not only did we have cocktails, but smoked cigarettes too, and so did my parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food