Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-14-2018, 08:47 AM
 
9,480 posts, read 12,346,883 times
Reputation: 8783

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I wonder if there would be a vegan formula that doesn't requiring drying and reducing the ingredients to a powder. I'm not sure what that would be made of, but rehydrated powdered formula (no matter what the ingredients are) does seem relatively unhealthful and unappealing.
I don't have kids but this topic comes up in my vegan groups from time to time. There is a soy based formula out there, and some feed them plant based milk like hemp.
__________________
My posts as moderator will be in red.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-14-2018, 08:54 AM
 
923 posts, read 530,055 times
Reputation: 1897
If anything, the baby needs colostrum. Be it human or bovine, the first week is important. After that there are many beneficial formulas to suit your baby's needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2018, 05:08 PM
Status: "Happy Memorial Day to all who served." (set 2 days ago)
 
Location: The New England part of Ohio
24,165 posts, read 32,668,380 times
Reputation: 68535
A human baby does not need bovine colostrum. Unless the baby is going to suck on the udder of a cow, there will be no "bovine colostum" available.

Colostrum is present in the first milk produced by mammals after giving birth.https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/colostrum


I'm an RN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2018, 10:37 AM
bg7
 
7,694 posts, read 10,601,901 times
Reputation: 15300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble and Kind View Post
If anything, the baby needs colostrum. Be it human or bovine, the first week is important. After that there are many beneficial formulas to suit your baby's needs.



You are correct, colostrum right at the beginning (0-48 hrs) is very important - especially if the baby is preterm. If the mother cannot feed the baby, the next best thing is another woman who has given birth on same day. If no one at all is available with colostrum-containing milk, bovine colostrum has shown benefit in some studies so far (2016, 2017, all available of NIH Medline) in human neonates. There are no plant alternatives for colostrum.

Last edited by bg7; 04-17-2018 at 10:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2018, 10:52 AM
bg7
 
7,694 posts, read 10,601,901 times
Reputation: 15300
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
A human baby does not need bovine colostrum. Unless the baby is going to suck on the udder of a cow, there will be no "bovine colostum" available.

Colostrum is present in the first milk produced by mammals after giving birth.https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/colostrum


I'm an RN.


The bolded sentence is incorrect. You can even buy it on Amazon and in Walmart. (Though I would NOT recommend giving it to a neonatal baby)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2018, 04:22 PM
 
923 posts, read 530,055 times
Reputation: 1897
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
A human baby does not need bovine colostrum. Unless the baby is going to suck on the udder of a cow, there will be no "bovine colostum" available.

Colostrum is present in the first milk produced by mammals after giving birth.https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/colostrum


I'm an RN.

I completely understand and agree. But, worst case scenario then that is what I would choose if available. The baby doesn't have to suck from the utter, it can be taken in other ways.

I was simply stating how important the colostrum is, and since you are an RN I don't have to tell you that. ....so now we are both wondering why I typed it, aren't we? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2018, 12:47 PM
bg7
 
7,694 posts, read 10,601,901 times
Reputation: 15300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble and Kind View Post
I completely understand and agree. But, worst case scenario then that is what I would choose if available. The baby doesn't have to suck from the utter, it can be taken in other ways.

I was simply stating how important the colostrum is, and since you are an RN I don't have to tell you that. ....so now we are both wondering why I typed it, aren't we? lol


Going a bit off-topic - this is a problem encountered by lots of Americans who have the habit of pronouncing the Ts in the middle of the word as Ds. So when they say utter, it sounds like the different word udder.


It doesn't unusually matter since budder, pardy, and wader (to rhyme with water, not the boot) are not words. But they run into trouble with utter and udder which are both words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2018, 10:53 AM
 
Location: Elsewhere
88,885 posts, read 85,381,848 times
Reputation: 115642
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Going a bit off-topic - this is a problem encountered by lots of Americans who have the habit of pronouncing the Ts in the middle of the word as Ds. So when they say utter, it sounds like the different word udder.


It doesn't unusually matter since budder, pardy, and wader (to rhyme with water, not the boot) are not words. But they run into trouble with utter and udder which are both words.
Haha. My mother had a couple of friends named Betty, and I can still remember being surprised when I learned their names weren't spelled "Beddy".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2018, 08:17 AM
 
923 posts, read 530,055 times
Reputation: 1897
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Going a bit off-topic - this is a problem encountered by lots of Americans who have the habit of pronouncing the Ts in the middle of the word as Ds. So when they say utter, it sounds like the different word udder.


It doesn't unusually matter since budder, pardy, and wader (to rhyme with water, not the boot) are not words. But they run into trouble with utter and udder which are both words.
Oh my Lord!!! I didn't even notice what I typed.

I do have a third grade education, although at times it doesn't look like it. LOL.
Thanks for calling me out on that pathetic misspelling. Believe it, or not, I do know the difference....makes you wonder though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2018, 08:37 AM
 
Location: Elsewhere
88,885 posts, read 85,381,848 times
Reputation: 115642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble and Kind View Post
Oh my Lord!!! I didn't even notice what I typed.

I do have a third grade education, although at times it doesn't look like it. LOL.
Thanks for calling me out on that pathetic misspelling. Believe it, or not, I do know the difference....makes you wonder though.
I am the first one to notice spelling errors, and I am horrified when I find my own. Sometimes there is a disconnect between the brain and the fingers.

I belong to a writers group, and I submitted a short story for critique. I'd gone over that story 50 times and edited it, but it took someone else to point out that I'd used "hear" for "here" on the first page. My shame ran deep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top