Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 08:16 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,388,095 times

Advertisements

Not a retreat, but you might want to check out the on-line culinary school called Rouxbe. It offers a plant-based cooking course. I found it very helpful when revamping my diet. Plant-based cooking is a departure from the way most of us approach making meals for ourselves. Going on a retreat is a terrific way to jumpstart a serious life-change, but knowing how to do things in your own kitchen is where the rubber really hits the road. A plant-based cooking course is an excellent way to ensure that your hard work at making the change to a healthier way of eating is sustainable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2021, 10:50 AM

1 posts, read 649 times
I don't think you need to pay for expensive programs straight away. You can start with getting basic knowledge, which can be done for free since there are many useful health blogs. There's an informative guide on transitioning to veganism https://happyvegan.life/ It covers all aspects of being vegan, from health risks to health benefits. And of course, I couldn't help but mention https://nutritionfacts.org/ created by the legendary Michael Greger which provides a host of useful facts on health and nutrition.

Old 04-06-2021, 12:22 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,167,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveBeans View Post
I don't think you need to pay for expensive programs straight away. You can start with getting basic knowledge, which can be done for free since there are many useful health blogs. There's an informative guide on transitioning to veganism https://happyvegan.life/ It covers all aspects of being vegan, from health risks to health benefits. And of course, I couldn't help but mention https://nutritionfacts.org/ created by the legendary Michael Greger which provides a host of useful facts on health and nutrition.

Totally agree!! Why spend money when you don't have to! My wife and I are at month two of my plant based food diet. We went cold turkey. Was it easy? No? What was/is the toughest part? The sugar addiction! I still have cravings especially after eating dinner.

But for the most part it's been going great. My secret? I signed up for a plant based food delivery service and it's been a life saver. Expensive? Yes a bit but worth every penny. My wife and I work long hours and it was far too easy to go to a restaurant or order Door Dash and it was impacting our health.

Now we go online and order lunches and dinners and they are delivered once a week. It's so easy to go into the fridge and grab a healthy premade plant based meal. Convenient and healthy! Hallelujah!

I've come to a realization that the change in lifestyle is a big paradigm shift for sure. Now when I eat, I don't get as much satisfaction from the actual food (although it's certain good), I derive satisfaction from knowing I'm doing my body good. You must retrain your brain!!!!

Old 04-26-2021, 12:26 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,734,315 times
I've lost 40 lbs without paying a dime. Focus on changing lifestyle not only food choices. If you remove one meal a day from your 3-4 meals you automatically drop 1 lb in 2 days atleast if nothing else changes.

You shouldn't eat strictly "plant" based anyways. Plants do not offer the complete nutrient the human body needs for healthy living. You can live long but frail on plants but one needs the many BCCA proteins from living organisms in order to live.

So don't fall for the trend that eating "plant only" will make you healthy when in fact that eating nutrient dense unprocessed natural foods is the best diet.

Old 04-26-2021, 01:53 PM

1,266 posts, read 670,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I've lost 40 lbs without paying a dime. Focus on changing lifestyle not only food choices. If you remove one meal a day from your 3-4 meals you automatically drop 1 lb in 2 days atleast if nothing else changes.

You shouldn't eat strictly "plant" based anyways. Plants do not offer the complete nutrient the human body needs for healthy living. You can live long but frail on plants but one needs the many BCCA proteins from living organisms in order to live.

So don't fall for the trend that eating "plant only" will make you healthy when in fact that eating nutrient dense unprocessed natural foods is the best diet.
First off I disagree wholeheartedly that an individual cannot live a long and very healthy life on a plant-based diet with added supplementation of b-12 and vegan Omega-3 DHA.

Lastly, vision33r, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but you often come in to the Vegetarian and Vegan food section to tell people they are wrong to be on a diet or lifestyle of their choosing. If you want to debate this subject, go to the debate section, or the regular food section and tell them how stupid this very healthy plant-based vegan is.
Again I am fine with you posting your opinions on lifestyle but please have some respect for others' choices besides your own.

Old 04-26-2021, 02:31 PM

29,527 posts, read 22,704,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellacatahoula View Post
First off I disagree wholeheartedly that an individual cannot live a long and very healthy life on a plant-based diet with added supplementation of b-12 and vegan Omega-3 DHA.

Lastly, vision33r, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but you often come in to the Vegetarian and Vegan food section to tell people they are wrong to be on a diet or lifestyle of their choosing. If you want to debate this subject, go to the debate section, or the regular food section and tell them how stupid this very healthy plant-based vegan is.
Again I am fine with you posting your opinions on lifestyle but please have some respect for others' choices besides your own.
I agree.

I don't understand why anti-vegans feel a need to come to this section of the forum to lecture vegans on the 'error' of their ways. What's the point? This is a continuing pattern on this section of the forum. I don't go to the main Food section of this forum to troll on non-vegans. And then people think that vegans are the intolerant and spiteful ones.

By the way, it's a myth that vegan diets don't offer complete proteins. Also, there can be some nutritional deficiencies on a vegan diet, but it's hardly anything to be concerned about since these can easily be met eating the right foods (which most vegans would eat anyways). Doesn't take any additional supplements or difficult planning. Far better than the risk of getting stroke or heart disease stuffing yourself with animal fats every day and night.

Vegetarian Protein Is Just As 'Complete' As Meat, Despite What We've Been Taught

HOW TO AVOID DEFICIENCIES ON A VEGAN DIET

Quote:
Some of the common vitamin deficiencies of a vegan diet include:

Vitamin B12
Vitamin B9 (folate)
Iron
Vitamin D

So, how do you avoid vitamin deficiency when switching to a vegan diet?

The best sources of vitamin B12 for people on a vegan diet include:

Nutritional yeast
Yeast spreads such as marmite
Fortified soy and almond milks
Fortified cereals

Vegans tend to have higher levels of folate in their blood, but this doesn't mean you do not need to worry about B9 deficiency. To ensure you are getting enough B9 or folate consume foods such as:

Lentils, beans, peas
Dark, green leafy vegetables such as spinach or kale
Asparagus, broccoli and avocados
Fruits such as bananas, mangos and oranges.
Nuts and seeds such as walnuts, chia seeds and linseed

Meat is high in iron and is a good source of protein as well as B vitamins, which is why vegans can be deficient in these vitamins. However, there are some good plant-based sources of iron. Foods that have a high iron content include:

Legumes such as beans, lentils, chickpeas, peas and soy beans
Dark, green leafy vegetables such as spinach and kale
Nuts and seeds such as cashew nuts, pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds, ground linseeds, chia seeds
Dried fruit such as apricots, figs and raisins
Quinoa

Old 09-24-2021, 11:20 AM

7,148 posts, read 12,686,436 times
It really helped me (no money for a retreat, though sounds wonderful!) to buy a half dozen or so simple Asian cook books. There are also videos and cooking shows online that are wonderful.

There are so many easy (and not-so-easy) recipes for Thai, Vietnamese, Japanese and Chinese cooking that are animal-product free. Indian cuisines--great curries--will fit your new way of eating.

Made a tasty stir-fry yesterday with Vermicelli (rice noodles), assorted vegetables, tofu and a great sweet Thai chili sauce sauce with fresh ginger. Topped with ground peanuts...both DH and I loved it--enough leftovers for another meal.

We're finding that tofu and tempeh have much protein, are hearty, and fill us up the way animal protein used to...not missing them at all. A plus is losing weight.

Great good luck on your new culinary journey.

Old 09-24-2021, 11:47 AM

48,556 posts, read 34,920,300 times
Soups and chilies are easy to turn vegetarian too, beans add lots of protein. Middle Eastern cuisine has a lot of vegetarian dishes.

Burritos and tacos do well with black beans and no meat. Also look up tofu ground "beef", super good and easy.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food