Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 08:03 AM

1,026 posts, read 1,523,190 times

Advertisements

As a lifelong vegetarian, of course it was always annoying the lack of veg. food available (and, more so, people's attitudes regarding such, especially when growing up...), but it's gotten a lot better over the years, with more veg./vegan food available, and more vegans/vegetarians...but still, with fast food, and chains, etc...it's nice to have options that are widely available, wherever you go. Of course there's Subway, which is my old-standby. But sometimes I want something besides a sandwich (or a burrito, of course, which is the main convenient veg. food.) Well, a while ago I was going by Burger King and saw that they had a veggie burger...for almost $5. I thought wow, that's great...but almost $5!? So of course I didn't get one...but thought it was good to know, in case I'm ever starving. Well, later I was, and finally got one...I thought it was good and of course it was nice to be able to get a veggie burger somewhere, but I was also annoyed because I can't afford to do that again...lol. It really pisses me off, because isn't their whole argument that oh, well we've had veggie burgers before, but people don't buy them...well not at almost $5 you dumb$%@^! It just seems like another thing, where they're just trying to force everyone to conform, one way or another. Like, oh, you wanted a veggie burger? Here, I'll give you your veggie burger...muahahaha. I don't get the justification for such a high price. I mean, even if they want to claim that it's some specialty item or something, and they don't sell many or something...still, it's a frozen processed patty just like all the others. It's not like they're making up fresh gourmet veggie burgers and then they go bad because no one orders them. I even heard the people working there talking about getting them too. And, can't you get a cheeseburger for like 99 cents? So why is a veggie burger 4x's as much? If it were like $3, I'd actually get one more often, and order other stuff too like fries and a shake. But not not at their tryin-ta-rip-off-vegetarians price. Too bad, because they could have had a lot more business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 09:59 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,393,037 times
It's a slow process, but it will come. As for a burrito, Taco Bell is always available!

As for the price, it's all supply and demand. How many veggie burgers do you think BK sells in a day? 10% of all burgers sold? Is it even that high? If they sell 5000 beef patties in a day, they can charge 99 cents and easily pull a profit. If they sell only 500 veggie patties in a day, they need to mark them up to make any profit. Veggie patties are more expensive everywhere for this reason. I believe the BK one is Morningstar Farms, so even the price of those is higher in the grocery store. As a result, I am sure they are more expensive for BK to purchase. It doesn't make economic sense to buy them for more but sell them at the same price as a beef patty. It is all about profit at the end of the day.

The good news is, as long as the demand keeps raising for veggie items, the more they sell, and they cheaper then can sell them for. It is just going to take a lot of time to get there!

I am even more limited than you are. The BK Veggie patties are not vegan.

Last edited by ElleTea; 05-15-2018 at 10:19 AM..

Old 05-15-2018, 11:46 AM

89,181 posts, read 85,922,310 times
I don't think $5 is a lot of money for a veggie burger at all. It might be where you live. I live in NJ, work in the city, both expensive places (the city obviously much more expensive). Most places charge far more than $5 for a veggie burger.

We have a well-known burger/hot dog place at the Jersey shore called The Windmill. They added a veggie burger. It wasn't the best one I ever had, but it wasn't the worst. But it's more than $5. I just tried to look up the menu, and it has no prices on it, lol, just a note that says "Menu and prices subject to change without notice". Probably gets jacked up after Memorial Day.

But also check your local vegetarian/vegan restaurants. They usually make anything for takeout. Again, though, they aren't cheap. Never are.

You can do vegetarian or vegan at Chipotle or any of the other same-type Mexican-y fast-food chain places.

Falafel in a pita from a halal truck is fast food, and in that $5 range, and there are a lot of cheap choices from the Indian-food trucks, too. I even saw one in Jersey City that was a schnitzel truck and it had an eggplant schnitzel.

Go to the neighborhoods where Indians live, and you will find vegetarian/vegan fast food.

And there is always pizza!

The best veggie burger I ever had? Here. It's a bit of a trip, but worth it, and Van Gogh is right there.

https://foursquare.com/v/lunch-kiosk...b09a6d7ae1ba18

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 05-15-2018 at 11:55 AM..

Old 05-16-2018, 04:09 AM

13,022 posts, read 13,810,325 times
One of the reason meat is so popular is because it is so cheap. Many vegetables have a much higher nutritive value than meat. That means you are getting a better value for your money when you eat foods that are nutritionally more complete.

Old 05-16-2018, 12:14 PM

1,412 posts, read 814,292 times
When a restaurant (or any business) doesn't sell as much of something, they don't buy as much of it, so they have to pay more for what they do buy (you are aware of volume/bulk buying? The more of something you buy, the better the price you get.) Basic economics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
One of the reason meat is so popular is because it is so cheap. Many vegetables have a much higher nutritive value than meat. That means you are getting a better value for your money when you eat foods that are nutritionally more complete.
And this. The beef industry receives some very nice subsidies and tax breaks from the government. Your tax dollars are paying for the lower price on meat.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:29 PM

33,106 posts, read 36,840,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
It's a slow process, but it will come. As for a burrito, Taco Bell is always available!

As for the price, it's all supply and demand. How many veggie burgers do you think BK sells in a day? 10% of all burgers sold? Is it even that high? If they sell 5000 beef patties in a day, they can charge 99 cents and easily pull a profit. If they sell only 500 veggie patties in a day, they need to mark them up to make any profit. Veggie patties are more expensive everywhere for this reason. I believe the BK one is Morningstar Farms, so even the price of those is higher in the grocery store. As a result, I am sure they are more expensive for BK to purchase. It doesn't make economic sense to buy them for more but sell them at the same price as a beef patty. It is all about profit at the end of the day.

The good news is, as long as the demand keeps raising for veggie items, the more they sell, and they cheaper then can sell them for. It is just going to take a lot of time to get there!

I am even more limited than you are. The BK Veggie patties are not vegan.
Morningstar Farms would definitely be more expensive than a no name patty.

I see that the double cheeseburger is $1.69 I think that they could serve a veg patty for less than 5. They should suck up a lower profit margin for a while, then bump the price a little when sales increase.

Burger King Menu Prices

Old 05-17-2018, 08:48 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,393,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Morningstar Farms would definitely be more expensive than a no name patty.

I see that the double cheeseburger is $1.69 I think that they could serve a veg patty for less than 5. They should suck up a lower profit margin for a while, then bump the price a little when sales increase.

Burger King Menu Prices
They do still use Morningstar Farms, probably for the brand name recognition since they openly flaunt the brand name. They have been serving it for YEARS, so they are not going to drop the price at this point as it is obviously selling fine at the current price. (if it wasn't they would have dropped the price or discontinued it) They also dress it and market it like a Whopper, not the bargain hamburger, so the price is more in line with that anyway.

https://www.bk.com/menu-item/veggie-burger

Not just for vegetarians, our great tasting Veggie Burger is made with real vegetables and wholesome grains, beginning with a MorningStar FarmsĀ® Garden Veggie Patty and topped with fresh-cut lettuce, juicy tomatoes, white onions, crunchy pickles, ketchup and mayo all served on a toasted sesame seed bun.

The nice thing about BK is their fries are vegan (unlike McD's) as are the hash browns and French toast sticks.

Old 05-17-2018, 04:33 PM

923 posts, read 532,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
And this. The beef industry receives some very nice subsidies and tax breaks from the government. Your tax dollars are paying for the lower price on meat.
What subsidies are you talking about?

BTW, our tax dollars are paying for fruits and vegetables, also.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:40 PM

1,412 posts, read 814,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble and Kind View Post
What subsidies are you talking about?

BTW, our tax dollars are paying for fruits and vegetables, also.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...241782/#slide3

Quote:
America both produces and consumes the most beef in the world. So it's no surprise that the nation also leads in beef subsidies too. The average American eats some 66 pounds of beef, and the government provides millions in federal livestock payments.

Nonetheless, there may be implications to federal payouts beyond cheaper burgers. In this Atlantic roundup, one author argues that meat would be "meatier, purer, far less fatty...before feedlots and farm subsidies changed ranchers and cattle," while another points to the delirious health consequences of beef over-consumption.
Lots of subsidies for dairy as well.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:32 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,480,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't think $5 is a lot of money for a veggie burger at all.
I don't think so either. Has the OP checked out the price of a Chipotle burrito lately?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food