Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 08:13 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,697,498 times

Advertisements

So wife and I are planning to go vegetarian. We are looking to do meals can have leftovers and casseroles. So far all we found requires a food processor.

Any recepies can recommend or links for veggie recepies to help with our search.

Appreciate the feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 11:52 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
Yes. All a food processor is, is an expensive substitute for a big knife, a small knife, and a blender. We had one, some years ago, and it was kind of cool, but we found that unless you constantly cook large quantities, the clean-up time makes it inefficient compared to a knife. We got rid of it and in the ensuing 20+ years, I honestly have not felt that I would like to have it again. 90+% of the time I can do everything I need to with a large and a small knife. Even a lot of things for which a blender is recommended can be done with a bowl and a potato masher.

Old 05-18-2018, 01:41 PM

337 posts, read 311,063 times
You don't need a food processor to cook rice and beans. Or pasta. Or baked potatoes and salad. Or vegetable stir-fry. Or vegetable soup, or chili.

People survived for thousands of years without fancy electronic kitchen gadgets :-)

Old 05-18-2018, 02:01 PM

14,306 posts, read 11,697,976 times
You don't need a food processor to cook vegetarian meals, any more than you need one to cook omnivore meals. I find it peculiar that all the recipes you've been looking at mention one. It's not hard to chop onions, carrots, potatoes, or any other vegetables with a knife.

I have never had a food processor and absolutely agree that, a few very specific applications aside, the time it takes to clean and reassemble versus the time it saves in preparation makes it no great bargain. It's like a big stand mixer that way.

When a recipe calls for a food processor, I use either a knife or my blender.

Old 05-18-2018, 05:11 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,687,308 times
Dr. McDougall and his wife, Mary, offer tons of plant-based recipes. I doubt that many, if any, require a food processor:

Recipes
https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/recipes/

Old 05-18-2018, 09:37 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
I have a blender, but no food processor.

The only recipes where I wish I had a food processor so far, are for recipes where you make a paste of some kind or a dip that should be really thick - usually made with white beans, for instance.

So, sometimes my blender versions of things are a little runnier, just because my blender needs more liquid to blend things, than a food processor would need.

But, with the blender, if you put the liquid in first, then your beans or whatever, it will usually still blend it up well.

But, yes, there are a few recipes where a food processor would be nice, but I've been vegan for about 9 months now, and have been fine without one.

What I mainly eat are homemade tortillas and a rice/bean/veggie mix I cook up in huge batches and freeze (no blender or food processor needed), pasta, pasta sauce, baked falafels, rice, potatoes and vegan gravy or with ketchup, cereal, nuts, crackers, salsa and chips, hummus, whole grain bread, peanut butter, jam, and such.

What I'd like to get before bothering with a food processor, is an air fryer. Would like to air fry my Trader Joe's falafel mix and make french fries in it, and maybe some veggie burgers.

By the way, good on you for becoming vegetarian. I hope you are pleased with the choice. If it's for health reasons, consider also cutting back on fats and dairy. I went vegan to get my blood test numbers down and it's working really well for me.

Old 05-19-2018, 08:46 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,292,531 times
I've been vegetarian for about 20 years, vegan since last year. I've never owned a food processor. I have a blender but I never use it

Old 05-20-2018, 09:32 PM

88,576 posts, read 84,777,093 times
I have never owned a food processor, nor do I want one. Last thing I want is some other thing to clean and take up space on the counter. You can make plenty of vegetarian meals.

Old 05-21-2018, 03:19 PM

12,961 posts, read 13,673,944 times
Don't make too big a fuss about replacing meat in your diet. It is recommended that we should be getting 5-7 servings of fruits and vegetables a day so continue to do that and try to find sources of protein to get you around 50 grams per day depending on your weight.

That’s not too hard considering many vegetable also have protein like peas, broccoli and asparagus. In a good day I will try to eat a boiled egg, peanut butter sandwich, yogurt, and oatmeal and get the rest from veggies, beans and rice.

When we eat meat we are content to have just a handful of go to meats like beef, pork, chicken and fish. Do the same thing with your meat replacements. Try a BLT with fried thinly sliced, salted tofu and sprinkle the olive oil mayonnaise with soy bacon bits if you need that sense that you’re really eating pork belly.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 05-21-2018 at 04:01 PM..

Old 05-21-2018, 03:59 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I've been vegetarian for about 20 years, vegan since last year. I've never owned a food processor. I have a blender but I never use it
I have not eaten meat for THIRTY YEARS. I have been a lacto-ovo vegetarian, a vegan, a sincerely trying to be vegan, a pescatarian (only because I was told to be by a doctor) and no dairy vegetarian - and until this mother's day - I have never, ever owned a food processor.

I would start to look up rice and bean recipes, - there are so many! Learn about lentils - and get to love them - they cook quickly, and you can fill tacos with them, make a "meaty" loaf with a mushroom onion gravy, make a delicious soup, Dal, Indian food. AND MORE.

CHICK PEAS - get to know Middle Eastern cookery. Hummus - made out of chick peas, Felafel - made out of chick peas and tabouleh salad, make a delicious dinner.

AND - there are so many prepared vegetarian foods now!

I would also explore "fake meats" - there are so many good ones available now that there is sure to be one that will taste good on the grill or substitute for your favorite recipe - just add a BIG salad, and a potato, corn, rice, or pasta.

Don't want to grill? Make these with fake meats -

"Chick'n Salad" with celery, carrots, and mayonnaise (real or vegan) lettuce and tomato.

Veggie Chili with Ground Meatless

Meat Balls and spaghetti - made with Nathan's Meat Balls.

I hope this gives you some ideas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food