Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 07:11 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Bread is not always vegan! Same with fries. McDonald's fries are not even vegetarian!
I wouldn't eat at McDonald's to begin with, and I know bread is not always vegan, but most of the time good, regular bread should be. Stay away from the challah.

My point was that for the most part, even in a small town, there is a good chance a vegan could form a meal around those two items.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:47 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I wouldn't eat at McDonald's to begin with, and I know bread is not always vegan, but most of the time good, regular bread should be. Stay away from the challah.

My point was that for the most part, even in a small town, there is a good chance a vegan could form a meal around those two items.
Usually french fries are safe in terms of vegan diet, but yes unfortunately McDonald's fries are not vegan. I think in some Asian country it might be vegan, but not in the U.S. Interesting as most fast food and restaurant fries are perfectly vegan.

Bread and pasta are also tricky since so many of them are made with eggs and sometimes milk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 08:13 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Usually french fries are safe in terms of vegan diet, but yes unfortunately McDonald's fries are not vegan. I think in some Asian country it might be vegan, but not in the U.S. Interesting as most fast food and restaurant fries are perfectly vegan.

Bread and pasta are also tricky since so many of them are made with eggs and sometimes milk.
McDonald's fries are not even vegetarian!

The only reason I even mrni them is because if you are in a small town or on a road trip in general , your only option might be fast food, and your most common option might be McDonald's. You'd probably be safe getting a Diet Coke there

I'm seriously researching for my trip next week and I'll be struggling for a couple of days when I'm in a specific town. I put that town into Happy Cow and get zero results I'm spoiled in Phoenix as there's lots of options.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:

The only reason I even mrni them is because if you are in a small town or on a road trip in general , your only option might be fast food, and your most common option might be McDonald's. You'd probably be safe getting a Diet Coke there

I'm seriously researching for my trip next week and I'll be struggling for a couple of days when I'm in a specific town. I put that town into Happy Cow and get zero results I'm spoiled in Phoenix as there's lots of options.
Yes, we can get spoiled with food choices in the metropolitan areas. I live in NJ and work (when I work) in NYC, and both of those places have tons of vegan and vegetarian options. You may have to pack some food to take from home.

Old 08-07-2018, 03:44 PM

24,109 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixmike11 View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/02/t...avel-tips.html

seems like some good tips to stay vegan/vegetarian while travelling
This came at a good time for us. We are taking a trip to Europe with out ethical vegan son. We are still reefing our destinations, but they are mostly countries that we are connected to ancestrally. So, for this trip, we are looking at Ireland, England, Germany, The Netherlands, Copenhagen and Sweden.

I know the Mediterranean or Asia might be easier for an ethical vegan and for people who only eat wild caught fish.

The article brings up a very good point - there are practices in some countries, such as bull fighting, that would be abhorrent to many people who care for animals. We have no interest in visiting countries where we might see an animal skinned alive, either, even if the cuisine better.

I am also going to check out Lonely Planet. That series does include vegetarian restaurants with food prepared in the traditional style.

We can be a little flexible, but I can taste beef or pork in a stock, and I find it revolting.

Generally, people are more accommodating if yo say that you are allergic A white lie that has worked for us.

Any suggestions would be welcome!

Old 08-07-2018, 10:48 PM

^sheena12, if you go to London, you have to eat here:

https://www.tibits.co.uk/en/

Old 08-08-2018, 08:11 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times
Quote:
Yes, we can get spoiled with food choices in the metropolitan areas. I live in NJ and work (when I work) in NYC, and both of those places have tons of vegan and vegetarian options. You may have to pack some food to take from home.
I'll be flying to another state so food from home is not easy, but I will be stopping at a grocery store for done basics. The small town also does have a Taco Bell and a Taco John's so that my be my savior lol

Old 08-08-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
I'll be flying to another state so food from home is not easy, but I will be stopping at a grocery store for done basics. The small town also does have a Taco Bell and a Taco John's so that my be my savior lol
Oh, OK. Yes, flying is a pain enough without having to cart food along. Good luck, and maybe when you come back you can add to the thread by letting us know what you ended up doing!

Old 08-08-2018, 07:41 PM

24,109 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
^sheena12, if you go to London, you have to eat here:

https://www.tibits.co.uk/en/
MQ - this just may be my dream restaurant! I think I could safely eat there for a month or more, and never tire of their food.

How was your and your daughter's experience in the Netherlands in terms of vegan/vegetarian/ pescatarian
foods?

I also worry about Copenhagen and Germany. Not so much for us, but for our ethical vegan.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:23 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times
Quote:

There are several great options for vegan fast food.

Taco Bell has vegan options:

https://www.tacobell.com/how-to-eat-vegan

Chipotle of course has vegan option.

Other fast food options:

https://www.peta.org/living/food/chain-restaurants/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food