Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 08:56 AM

2,747 posts, read 3,317,505 times

Advertisements

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/02/t...avel-tips.html

seems like some good tips to stay vegan/vegetarian while travelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 09:26 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixmike11 View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/02/t...avel-tips.html

seems like some good tips to stay vegan/vegetarian while travelling
Good article. I used Happy Cow when traveling to Amsterdam, Paris, and London. Happy Cow was less helpful in Paris because they are very meat-based. The first night we got there and were hungry we realized with dismay that most of the restaurants in our airbnb 'hood featured five or six lamb dishes and one chicken dish and that was about it, lol. Then we found a great Indian restaurant that not only had vegan options but one of its three-course specials that night was vegan.

A friend of mine said that whenever she visits Paris she focuses on salads, which are generally very fresh, and I found that to be the best course of action for my stay there. Between the salads and the fresh bread, you can survive.

Amsterdam and London were easy for vegans/vegetarians, especially London. Loved the food in London.

Old 08-05-2018, 10:03 AM

29,513 posts, read 22,636,772 times
Good tips that I have already been applying in my travels as well as everyday life.

I also use Happy Cow as a reference, and it's also very easy to research vegan restaurant availability in the cities you are visiting.

If traveling far away, I always pack vegan friendly snacks including Kind bars and various snacks and chips. I also hit local markets and places like 7/11 where I stock up on vegan snacks, not the healthiest but will do.

I think being vegetarian is quite easy compared to being vegan when traveling. Just the fact that you can eat eggs and dairy as a vegetarian gives you so many convenient options. Eggs for breakfast, cheese pizza for lunch, pasta with cheese for dinner, etc. Many restaurants the world over offer vegetarian dishes but not vegan.

But if I am traveling and the only options are dishes that contains eggs or dairy as an ingredient (and not actually smothered on the food like mac and cheese or pizza), then I'll make an exception and eat it.

Old 08-05-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Good tips that I have already been applying in my travels as well as everyday life.

I also use Happy Cow as a reference, and it's also very easy to research vegan restaurant availability in the cities you are visiting.

If traveling far away, I always pack vegan friendly snacks including Kind bars and various snacks and chips. I also hit local markets and places like 7/11 where I stock up on vegan snacks, not the healthiest but will do.

I think being vegetarian is quite easy compared to being vegan when traveling. Just the fact that you can eat eggs and dairy as a vegetarian gives you so many convenient options. Eggs for breakfast, cheese pizza for lunch, pasta with cheese for dinner, etc. Many restaurants the world over offer vegetarian dishes but not vegan.

But if I am traveling and the only options are dishes that contains eggs or dairy as an ingredient (and not actually smothered on the food like mac and cheese or pizza), then I'll make an exception and eat it.
My daughter does the same. She does not eat eggs, but she is also gluten intolerant and she knows that GF pizza crusts or rolls often contain egg to bind the non-wheat flour together. She will consciously sometimes choose to have what she calls her "dairy encounters", particularly with cheese and/or ice cream. For example, she was in her cousin's wedding and the bridal party had a private room before the reception during the cocktail hour, and she and her vegan bf merrily ate the cheese on the platter that was provided. Usually when she has ice cream, it's because of stress or emotional response to something going on.

I do eat eggs and dairy, so Paris was easier for me that way. I had a good omelet for dinner one evening.

Also in Paris we got cereal and fruit from a nearby grocery store to keep in the house for breakfast and nuts to carry around. My very favorite Parisian meal was at a little corner cafe, where they had big salads that came in casserole dishes and on top of the salad was a mess of hot sliced fried herbed potatoes. It sounds weird, but it was so good that I sometimes make this at home now.

Closer to home, I spend a lot of time now in Canada, which isn't always the most veg-friendly place. Some of the little lunch places in small towns don't have much of a selection for vegetarians beyond grilled cheese or fries, and very little for vegans. However, the town nearest where I stay does have a falafel burger on its regular menu, and they sell prepared frozen meals to take home that include a good veggie lasagna (with cheese) and lentil shepherd's pie, which I haven't tried yet.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My daughter does the same. She does not eat eggs, but she is also gluten intolerant and she knows that GF pizza crusts or rolls often contain egg to bind the non-wheat flour together. She will consciously sometimes choose to have what she calls her "dairy encounters", particularly with cheese and/or ice cream. For example, she was in her cousin's wedding and the bridal party had a private room before the reception during the cocktail hour, and she and her vegan bf merrily ate the cheese on the platter that was provided. Usually when she has ice cream, it's because of stress or emotional response to something going on.

I do eat eggs and dairy, so Paris was easier for me that way. I had a good omelet for dinner one evening.

Also in Paris we got cereal and fruit from a nearby grocery store to keep in the house for breakfast and nuts to carry around. My very favorite Parisian meal was at a little corner cafe, where they had big salads that came in casserole dishes and on top of the salad was a mess of hot sliced fried herbed potatoes. It sounds weird, but it was so good that I sometimes make this at home now.

Closer to home, I spend a lot of time now in Canada, which isn't always the most veg-friendly place. Some of the little lunch places in small towns don't have much of a selection for vegetarians beyond grilled cheese or fries, and very little for vegans. However, the town nearest where I stay does have a falafel burger on its regular menu, and they sell prepared frozen meals to take home that include a good veggie lasagna (with cheese) and lentil shepherd's pie, which I haven't tried yet.
When I visited Taiwan, there were a few vegan eateries I went to, but I also relaxed my dietary restrictions a bit as sometimes it's annoying trying to ensure everything is acceptable. I couldn't be sure that the noodles I ate were free of eggs, and some of the soup bases might have had fish stock. The veggie tempura batter for sure had some eggs. But they weren't in any amounts enough to make me feel unwell. Nowadays my stomach feels bad if I eat meat, eggs, or dairy in large amounts.

It's all about being flexible.

Old 08-05-2018, 10:30 PM

Quote:
When I visited Taiwan, there were a few vegan eateries I went to, but I also relaxed my dietary restrictions a bit as sometimes it's annoying trying to ensure everything is acceptable. I couldn't be sure that the noodles I ate were free of eggs, and some of the soup bases might have had fish stock. The veggie tempura batter for sure had some eggs. But they weren't in any amounts enough to make me feel unwell. Nowadays my stomach feels bad if I eat meat, eggs, or dairy in large amounts.

I could not agree more.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:47 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,289,523 times
Quote:

As an ethical vegan, there is no flexibility! I don't eat animals or anything from an animal and I can't adjust my beliefs when it's convenient. I'll be traveling next week and one small town will have very little to choose from, but I'll adapt and survive. I'll ask the questions about soup stock or ingredients in noodles and go without when necessary.

It takes a bit more planning and research but I'll make it work.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
As an ethical vegan, there is no flexibility! I don't eat animals or anything from an animal and I can't adjust my beliefs when it's convenient. I'll be traveling next week and one small town will have very little to choose from, but I'll adapt and survive. I'll ask the questions about soup stock or ingredients in noodles and go without when necessary.

^Good on you for holding fast to your principles!

There are almost always French fries to be had somewhere.

Also, if you are NOT gluten-intolerant, there's always bread.

Old 08-06-2018, 01:38 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,289,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
^Good on you for holding fast to your principles!

There are almost always French fries to be had somewhere.

Also, if you are NOT gluten-intolerant, there's always bread.
Bread is not always vegan! Same with fries. McDonald's fries are not even vegetarian!

Old 08-06-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post

I respect that. As a practicing vegan, I support my fellow vegans. I am not as ethical sometimes when it comes to the concept of eating meat, but certainly respect my fellow vegans who do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food