Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 07:50 PM

1,199 posts, read 659,450 times

Advertisements

Beans are a staple for me and have been for years. I used to soak and cook a huge batch of dried beans every Sunday for the work week, but over the last year or so have gotten lazier (and busier) and have been buying canned beans.

I am thinking about getting a pressure cooker. I'm thinking this will make it easier to prepare dried beans because I would not have to watch the stove for an hour to two hours while simmering a batch of dried beans. I want to get away from canned beans and am thinking this will be a great motivation.

I am wondering if it is really worth it to spend the money on a pressure cooker? Does anyone else use one to cook beans? What else do you prepare in it? What about whole grains? Any brand recommendations? I was given a $50 Visa gift card for Christmas and am thinking about applying it towards a pressure cooker. I would love to hear from others who have one. Or something similar. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 06:56 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
Cook a whole 4 pound chicken in 25 minutes, Pot Roast in 100 minutes, Pork Shoulder in 55 minutes, all kinds of grains/beans/soups...yeah, I find it worthwhile to have in the kitchen.
Here are 100+ recipe examples: link.
We have 2, a Cuisinart electric, and a stove top.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 12-18-2018, 10:25 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Cook a whole 4 pound chicken in 25 minutes, Pot Roast in 100 minutes, Pork Shoulder in 55 minutes, all kinds of grains/beans/soups...yeah, I find it worthwhile to have in the kitchen.
Here are 100+ recipe examples: link.
We have 2, a Cuisinart electric, and a stove top.

Regards
Gemstone1
This is not really relevant on a vegetarian and vegan forum, is it?

Old 12-19-2018, 02:44 AM

Thanks ElleTea, I thought it was a little odd to share that here too lol. I wonder if sometimes people look at new posts for the day on City Data and don't pay attention to what forum it's attached to.

My main reason for considering a pressure cooker is the beans, and possibly some grains. I am not familiar whatsoever with these, or the instant pot. I have only ever used a crockpot. People seem to swear by them so it's peaked my interest.

Old 12-19-2018, 06:19 AM

I was merely showing how versatile the appliance is, regardless of your diet preferences. A simple google search brought this up: 75+ Vegan friendly pressure cooker recipes. It can be used for way more than rice and beans.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 12-19-2018, 02:40 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Yes, a pressure cooker is a great way to prepare dried beans. We do it all the time.

Old 12-20-2018, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Yes, a pressure cooker is a great way to prepare dried beans. We do it all the time.
Thanks! Would you be able to describe the steps you take to prepare your beans with a pressure cooker? I'm trying to determine how much time I would cut out with a pressure cooker versus soaking/simmering on stove. Do you still soak your beans first?

What kind of pressure cooker do you have (brand name). Thanks.

Old 12-20-2018, 07:18 AM

1 cup un-soaked black beans, 28-32 minutes , (do not salt, it inhibits cooking) add 2 t oil to prevent foaming.
Use high pressure, natural release...overall time from pot to plate, maybe an hour.

Cuisinart Electric Pressure Cooker, recipe book included with purchase. You're welcome for the recipes too.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 12-20-2018, 07:51 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinwomb View Post
Thanks! Would you be able to describe the steps you take to prepare your beans with a pressure cooker? I'm trying to determine how much time I would cut out with a pressure cooker versus soaking/simmering on stove. Do you still soak your beans first?

What kind of pressure cooker do you have (brand name). Thanks.
I have an Instant Pot, and I don't do anything special to prepare basic beans. I just throw the dried beans in the pot and add a bay leaf and water to a depth of about an inch. Pressure cooking takes about 40 minutes depending on the bean, plus the length of time for the pot to come to pressure and to de-pressurize for a total of about an hour. (I live at altitude, so it takes a little longer than for someone at sea level.)

Old 12-21-2018, 03:01 AM

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Much appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food