Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 01:00 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
...that still have dairy in them?

Am I wrong in assuming that most people who eat alternative cheeses do so because they object to the conditions/treatment of dairy animals? Having dairy ingredients like casein in soy cheese kind of defeats the purpose.

Or because they're allergic to dairy. Same outcome, no sale!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2019, 01:16 PM

923 posts, read 525,851 times
Shouldn't they call a cheese with no dairy something else? Asking for a friend in MS.
hahahaha!

I couldn't resist!

Old 09-05-2019, 07:57 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
People who are lactose intolerant can simply buy milk that are lactose free. When I went full vegan, I avoid milk altogether. Then suddenly I drink milk and I had problems digesting milk, I realized that being lactose intolerant is a condition but not a permanent problem. I slowly began drinking milk and eating cheeses and was able to enjoy whole milk again. Whole milk yogurt tastes way better than almond or soy based yogurts.

Old 09-12-2019, 08:01 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
People who are lactose intolerant can simply buy milk that are lactose free. When I went full vegan, I avoid milk altogether. Then suddenly I drink milk and I had problems digesting milk, I realized that being lactose intolerant is a condition but not a permanent problem. I slowly began drinking milk and eating cheeses and was able to enjoy whole milk again. Whole milk yogurt tastes way better than almond or soy based yogurts.
There's a difference between being lactose intolerant, which has to do with not being able to digest the sugar in milk, and someone who has a full-blown milk allergy, which is a true food allergy which is caused by an allergic reaction to the protein in milk.

Buying lactose-free milk is not a solution for someone who is allergic to milk.

https://www.foodallergy.org/life-wit...se-intolerance

Old 09-12-2019, 11:09 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Huh. Never heard of it, but I rarely even eat fake cheese. Around once a month I buy a Daiya frozen pizza as a treat, but otherwise no fake cheese for me. Just a different form of fat I don't need.

Old 09-16-2019, 11:38 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
There's a difference between being lactose intolerant, which has to do with not being able to digest the sugar in milk, and someone who has a full-blown milk allergy, which is a true food allergy which is caused by an allergic reaction to the protein in milk.

Buying lactose-free milk is not a solution for someone who is allergic to milk.

https://www.foodallergy.org/life-wit...se-intolerance
But there's no reason you can't have both problems. Many people don't know the difference and suffer for it. Or make others suffer.

Old 12-30-2020, 05:03 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,898,927 times
Veggie cheese, "plant based" can be tricky. It would be better if companies would print "100% plant derived." I want to scream when I see whey or casein. I love tree line style, and Violife feta. Chao is my main 'go to' for sandwiches, and follow your heart for shreds, or mozzarella.. If I were not so lazy, I would make my own mozzarella. Cashew based cheese is the best, in my opinion. I hope stores begin to have sections for all vegan products. A separate room, even. Las Vegas has a 100% vegan grocer near Sunset park.

Old 06-19-2021, 02:54 AM

1 posts, read 531 times
Default Why would anyone make alternative cheeses

Cheese is one of the most popular dairy products worldwide. On average, each person in the United States consumes approximately 38 pounds of cheese per year. Many dairy-free cheese replacements are now available, due to greater popularity of vegan and other dairy-free diets. Vegan cheeses come in a number of shapes and flavors and are manufactured from a number of plant-based ingredients.

Last edited by saraedwin; 06-19-2021 at 03:10 AM..

Old 06-20-2021, 10:04 AM

88,513 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saraedwin View Post
Cheese is one of the most popular dairy products worldwide. On average, each person in the United States consumes approximately 38 pounds of cheese per year. Many dairy-free cheese replacements are now available, due to greater popularity of vegan and other dairy-free diets. Vegan cheeses come in a number of shapes and flavors and are manufactured from a number of plant-based ingredients.
What on earth is the point of this post?

Old 06-20-2021, 09:17 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
What on earth is the point of this post?
Reads like a setup for spam. I'm surprised it didn't include a scammy link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food