Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2022, 12:24 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,898,927 times

Advertisements

Vegan Boursin is delicious. It's available in health food stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2022, 09:47 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,898,927 times
Trader Joe carries vegan Boursin. Oh my ! Can't tell the difference. No one was the wiser at my luncheon.

Old 09-10-2022, 09:12 PM

1,262 posts, read 664,481 times
We are trying out a new Swiss cheese recipe. Its base is both raw cashews and blanched almonds. Can't wait to dig into it at lunch time tomorrow and give it a try.

Old 06-01-2023, 03:15 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Does any one have other recommendations about a non-dairy mozzarella substitute? I have become lactose-intolerant. I don't care whether the product is vegan. It seems like Target is a good place to shop for vegan products.
I am also looking for good pizzas with cheese substitutes. It does not have to be gluten-free.

Old 06-01-2023, 05:04 PM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chint View Post
If one was inclined to do so one could make casein in something which is not an animal, such as a plant or a bacteria. Like all proteins, its just basically a string of amino acids. Then it wouldn't be dairy.

People probably would want casein from bacteria or plants though, and it'd be an expensive way to make it. Plus everyone freaks out when they see GMO.
LOL - yes, it's hard to please everyone. Getting the mission - "make something that tastes just like milk, cream, cheese, yogurt, etc - but it can't have anything actually derived from animals, or made by genetic engineering" - that's a pretty tall order, even for food scientists!

Old 06-01-2023, 06:19 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Does any one have other recommendations about a non-dairy mozzarella substitute? I have become lactose-intolerant. I don't care whether the product is vegan. It seems like Target is a good place to shop for vegan products.
I am also looking for good pizzas with cheese substitutes. It does not have to be gluten-free.
365 non-dairy mozzarella is available at Whole Foods. That's their house brand. If you do not have a Whole Foods, it's available on Amazon.

Target may have Daiya, the original non-milk cheese. Near me, Walmart also has it. They also have frozen pizza with vegetarian/vegan cheese.

Let me know what you think!

Old 06-01-2023, 09:30 PM

1,406 posts, read 800,235 times
Quote:
Target has a store brand non-dairy mozzarella that isn't half bad.

There is also this which as far as I know is the only liquid/pourable non-dairy cheeze. It was pretty good when I used it in a baked ziti, but kind of pricey

Old 06-02-2023, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
...Let me know what you think!
I bought some Violife shreds at my local Food Lion. It is made from coconut oil and potato starch. I plan to make a pizza from scratch. I want to see if the Violife passes the husband test.

I live too far from a Target or Whole Foods to make them everyday shopping options.

How does one ship the liquid product from Amazon? Doesn't require refrigeration?

Old 06-03-2023, 09:51 AM

1,262 posts, read 664,481 times
Quote:
I bought some Violife shreds at my local Food Lion. It is made from coconut oil and potato starch. I plan to make a pizza from scratch. I want to see if the Violife passes the husband test.

I live too far from a Target or Whole Foods to make them everyday shopping options.

How does one ship the liquid product from Amazon? Doesn't require refrigeration?
Violife is the brand we recommend. It's the best tasting mozzarella-like cheese we have tasted. We buy the Violife Just Mozzarella Vegan Perfect Pizza Cheese shreds.

Old 06-05-2023, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellacatahoula View Post
Violife is the brand we recommend. It's the best tasting mozzarella-like cheese we have tasted. We buy the Violife Just Mozzarella Vegan Perfect Pizza Cheese shreds.
Thanks. I made a pizza using the Violife shreds and the usual other toppings. My husband said he could not tell the difference. I also thought the taste was very acceptable. I am on the way to living with lactose-intolerance, although I crave ice cream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food