Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 12:23 PM

4,606 posts, read 3,000,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellacatahoula View Post
Because oil slows the blood flow through the arteries, the oxidative factors of oil causes inflammation, and inflammation is the path to heart disease, and heart disease promotes heart attacks, and strokes.
So you're saying the much-touted Mediterranean diets aren't actually healthy because they include olive oil,
and Asian cooking isn't healthy either because it involves stir-frying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 01:23 PM

1,264 posts, read 667,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
So you're saying the much-touted Mediterranean diets aren't actually healthy because they include olive oil,
The Med. Diet and Asian stir frying are healthier than driving thru the takeout lane for a bag of crap, or nuking a frozen super-processed meal. Everyone must decide what they want their food choices to do for them. Our food choices can prematurely kill us or can extend and improve our lives. You just can't put terrible fuel in a car and expect it to perform admirably. Same with us. I have learned the hard way, although I ate very little fast food and fried food. Oil has a detrimental effect on endothelial function. Endothelial cells line our arteries, and when healthy and are functioning properly, they allow for good blood flow ( lowers b/p) and prevents the cholesterol/plaques from building up and eventually blocking our arteries, which causes heart disease, heart attacks and strokes. The Western diet has shown heart disease to begin around age 20 and unchecked will gradually worsen. Smoking and the consumption of oils hardens our arteries which cuts the endothelial function in about half within an hour. In time tho I believe four to six hours, our arteries' endothelial function returns showing our ability to heal. But then, we eat another hamburger and fries, or more specifically oil, and once our functionality returns it's progress is halted again. This is when hardening and plaque buildup takes place. The arterial lining now is slowly clogging, blood pressure rises, and if unchecked diminished blood flow issues arise. This being blood clots, which our bodies initiate in an attempt to patch things up. When a blood clot becomes loose because of high b/p it flows upstream until, it causes a major blockage resulting in a stroke or heart attack. So you see, it's truly all about artery health especially the older we all get.
We all have choices, what is important to me, may not be important to another. Food can and does heal, if the proper foods are consumed and the detrimental ones are eliminated.
I hope that answers your question.

Old 06-15-2019, 04:21 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, I think the problem is there in the sentence

"I used to use a lot of oil in cooking everyday as well as drizzling it on foods"

Instead of going extreme and eliminating all oil from your diet, why not just be moderate, use a small amount of olive oil (one of the least processed oils, and with the minimum saturated fat) for cooking where appropriate?

I use almost 100% olive oil when cooking, but just a bit. For example, between a teaspoon and a tablespoon of oil is plenty to do most sauteeing/stir-frying/frying in a standard iron skillet. I never "drizzle" oil over my food; that is just disgusting to me.

By the way my cholesterol is always rated excellent.

I agree about moderation. I measure my oil and I use very little. I no longer fry anything but I do sautee using no more that one tablespoon of olive oil. I don't drizzle oil on breads or anything. Oily greasy food are disgusting.

My LDL HDL ratio is perfect.

Old 06-16-2019, 03:53 PM

1,264 posts, read 667,198 times
I would like to repeat what I have stated earlier, that nearly 50% of people that have heart attacks also have "ideal cholesterol numbers". It was a mystery for years, how could this be? The answer lies not in the blood tests that reveal your healthy or unhealthy cholesterol numbers, but in the health of your arteries. You could in fact have atherosclerosis (a precursor for heart disease) and yet have good cholesterol levels.
Here is a link to some interesting information on what we thought we knew and what we failed to see. Life is a balance, a lifetime of wrongs cannot be righted overnight, but every improvement surely helps.

http://www.fanaticcook.blogspot.com/...x-diet-matters
Sorry above web address won't work.....try this!

http://www.huffpost.com/entry/what-s...-from_b_815943

Old 06-18-2019, 03:25 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I haven’t seen any study that shows that plant-based oils like olive oil are worse for you than animal fats.
Read Politically Incorrect Nutrition. The author actually read the original studies that people have been quoting misinterpretations of for years and years. A lot of them say something totally different from what people have always heard the studies say. Check out the chapter on what the author found in the Framingham study, which has always been the eye of the "saturated-fat-is-the-Devil" hurricane:

Amazon link for publication info: https://www.amazon.com/Politically-I...gateway&sr=8-1

Old 02-18-2020, 11:18 AM

3 posts, read 1,656 times
Default Mixed opinions

I know that a lot of people, including internet vegan doctors, preach a no oil diet supposedly because it is bad for endothelial health. Yet there are actual trials that dispute this. I have attached a link. So who is correct?

Old 02-18-2020, 11:27 AM

3 posts, read 1,656 times
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29141571

This is a link of a study, and there are others, that states that evoo is good for endothelial function. I know that Dr. Esselstyn and the like say NO oil. Who to believe, what studies do the no oil docs base their info on?

Old 02-18-2020, 12:58 PM

The confusion about oils is usually about this, according to what I read in Michael Barbee's Politically Incorrect Nutrition: people never hear about where and how different fats are supposed to be used. In many cases,. people who use EVOO for every single things are damaging their arteries more and creating more inflammation, because they're using it for frying and so forth which damages and oxidizes the oils. EVOO should only be used raw and only in moderation. For any kind of cooking you need more-highly-saturated fats, like lard, butter, or coconut oil; they do not get damaged at high temps as easily as oils liquid at room temperature and when used in moderation they are far better for cardiovascular health than the liquids.

Old 02-18-2020, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Stir frying it fine as long as you use an oil or fat that doesn't oxidize easily at high temps. Olive oil is excellent for you if used raw.

Old 02-19-2020, 06:05 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
I have been doing WFPB no oil for about 6 weeks. I saute in water or veg broth. I don't miss the oil at all, not even on my potatoes which used to always have (vegan) butter on them. I make oil free hummus, oil free everything. I am basically doing high carb, low fat. I'm down 14 pounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food