Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2020, 06:50 AM

3 posts, read 1,656 times

Advertisements

No oil internet vegan guru docs say no oil period. They keep referring to some old FMD measurement test someone did on 11 people 2 decades ago. Who to believe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2020, 01:15 PM

215 posts, read 151,626 times
Pure coconut oil seems to have a lot of benefits. But again in moderation, not like some pro coconut Docs suggest. They suggest eating tea spoon of coconut oil every morning, afternoon and evening, and keep cooking with coconut oil.

I have been vegetarian all my life, never ate meat. Of late, I am trying to be Vegan, cut off milk. But one think I am not able to get rid of is, Costco Greek Yogurt. Thats because, it is low cal, 0 fat and high protein food, and I love the taste. Mainly, I use it for its Protein.

Also, I am going raw vegan. Trying to eat most of the things raw (uncooked). Going well so far. Feeling better!

I do use a spoon of coconut oil and a spoon of Ghee (clarified butter), per day. Its good for joints.

And I consume LOTs of nuts (almonds, walnuts and peanuts).

Old 02-19-2020, 01:23 PM

2,224 posts, read 1,327,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I have been doing WFPB no oil for about 6 weeks. I saute in water or veg broth. I don't miss the oil at all, not even on my potatoes which used to always have (vegan) butter on them. I make oil free hummus, oil free everything. I am basically doing high carb, low fat. I'm down 14 pounds.
I did that for a couple of months, and am now back with moderate olive oil to help my body absorb lycopene and beta-carotene. And I no longer suffer from constipation.

Old 02-19-2020, 02:08 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
I did that for a couple of months, and am now back with moderate olive oil to help my body absorb lycopene and beta-carotene. And I no longer suffer from constipation.
I still get fat, just not from oil. I get it from the whole food itself. By the time it becomes oil it has been processed and all of the good stuff has been stripped away. I'd rather eat olives than just the oil

I also get fats from nuts and seeds, tofu, etc.

Old 02-19-2020, 02:20 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
I still get fat, just not from oil. I get it from the whole food itself. By the time it becomes oil it has been processed and all of the good stuff has been stripped away. I'd rather eat olives than just the oil

I also get fats from nuts and seeds, tofu, etc.
For oils like olive or peanut, the only processing is merely crushing or grinding. No real stripping away.

Old 02-19-2020, 02:27 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
"Olive oil is not a whole food—it is a fattening, low-nutrient, processed food, consisting of 100% fat. ... When fats are ingested in the form of extracted oils, they are rapidly and efficiently absorbed by the body and immediately converted into body fat"

https://www.drfuhrman.com/elearning/...-a-health-food

"How is it that we know that processed sugars are junk foods, yet we’ve allowed ourselves to be convinced that certain oils are somehow good for us? Oil follows essentially the same model as processed sugar, which is also pressed from plants. Think about what oil is: fat—and nothing but fat. All the nutrients, including protein, carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals, fiber, and water, have been thrown away. Oil of any kind has more calories per gram than any other food we know. And without any fiber or water in it, oil lacks the bulk to convey to your senses how many calories you have eaten; this virtually guarantees you will consume more calories at the meal than you need. So we ask you: Why would you waste calories on something that has no nutrients in it other than fat? And why would anyone believe that highly concentrated fat is healthy?"

https://www.forksoverknives.com/what...SqMY#gs.wtah9c

Old 02-19-2020, 03:59 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times
Quote:
"Olive oil is not a whole food—it is a fattening, low-nutrient, processed food, consisting of 100% fat. ... When fats are ingested in the form of extracted oils, they are rapidly and efficiently absorbed by the body and immediately converted into body fat"

https://www.drfuhrman.com/elearning/...-a-health-food

"How is it that we know that processed sugars are junk foods, yet we’ve allowed ourselves to be convinced that certain oils are somehow good for us? Oil follows essentially the same model as processed sugar, which is also pressed from plants. Think about what oil is: fat—and nothing but fat. All the nutrients, including protein, carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals, fiber, and water, have been thrown away. Oil of any kind has more calories per gram than any other food we know. And without any fiber or water in it, oil lacks the bulk to convey to your senses how many calories you have eaten; this virtually guarantees you will consume more calories at the meal than you need. So we ask you: Why would you waste calories on something that has no nutrients in it other than fat? And why would anyone believe that highly concentrated fat is healthy?"

https://www.forksoverknives.com/what...SqMY#gs.wtah9c
The human body is very smart. It wants to survive and to live as long and as healthy as possible. It also stores as much fat as possible. If fat was bad, it wouldn't store any. Things only go wrong when people don't know what to do with this fat.

Old 02-27-2020, 03:00 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,654,062 times
Processed chemically extracted oils are bad. Hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils especially bad. Cold pressed unfiltered oils are fine. People way overdo the carbs while being scared silly of all fats. High carb, low fat diet is the myth that just wont die.

Old 02-27-2020, 06:22 PM

146 posts, read 123,435 times
ALL liquid oils are bad news. McDougall, Esslystyn, Barnard, etc. describe why very well.

Old 02-28-2020, 12:05 PM

1,107 posts, read 552,769 times
I cook with either extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil (which is good for high-heat). I also take a tablespoon of Udo's 3-6-9 Oil every day. It provides me with all the necessary Omegas I need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food