Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2020, 05:19 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,141,190 times

Advertisements

When we went vegan we switched exclusively to olive oils.

My husband just got his bloodwork back and his numbers have never in his life looked better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2020, 03:20 AM

1,198 posts, read 666,104 times
I had another fasting lipid profile done last November 2019 after two years of being pescetarian. I eat fish 1-2x week, about 3 eggs per week on average, small amount of dairy usually nonfat plain Greek yogurt, but mostly plant based beyond that. I do use oil but very little. From time to time I roast veggies or bake with coconut oil, or use cold pressed extra virgin olive oil in salads or on pasta. Once in a while I use real butter but usually no more than once per week if that. I still eat mostly whole foods, mostly plant based, rarely eat out. I am active with moderate exercise and keep weight on low end of normal range (112 lbs or 51 kg). My only risk factors for high cholesterol or heart issues is long term hypothyroidism and surgical menopause (which I take HRT for).

Here is a comparison of my numbers as a pescetarian and when I was WFPB vegan and had fasting lipid profile in 2012:

total cholesterol: vegan 125 pesc 155
HDL: vegan 57, pesc 70
LDL: vegan 67, pesc 75
triglycerides: vegan 47, pesc 50
glucose: vegan 82, pesc 87

numbers are very similar, with better HDL as pescetarian but lower overall cholesterol and LDL as vegan. The addition of small amount of oil and small amount of fish, eggs, dairy has not hurt me but the key is moderation. If at some point my LDL starts to climb, I would likely cut out the dairy and eggs before I'd cut out the olive oil or fish.

Old 03-09-2020, 03:55 AM

7,314 posts, read 5,196,903 times
Your ratio of Total chol/ HDL is slightly under 2.2 on the earlier diet and slightly over 2.2 on the vegan-- essentially the same on either. Chol levels are determined by genetics with very little input from diet-- and that is mostly in terms of total calories, not the fat or chol content of the food.

All lab tests have an inherent level of error...For chol tests, it's in the range of 5-10%, so your readings are technically unchanged on the two different diets....Similar explanation for glucose differences.

Your ratio of 2.2 is excellent-- slightly less than "average risk."

Think of total chol as the trash piled at the curb ready for pick-up and the HDL as empty garbage trucks coming to get it. It's ok if total is up as long as there are enough collection trucks to handle it.

Old 03-10-2020, 03:02 PM

8,949 posts, read 11,812,084 times
The jury is still out on the benefit of lower cholesterol. A relative of mine died suddenly of a heart attack at the age of 47. He was an ER doctor and a picture of health. His bloodwork was impeccable.

Look up the 85 Plus Study. Researchers monitored a large group of senior citizens for 10 years, basically until they died. The seniors were divided into low, moderate, and high cholesterol groups. The researchers found that the risk for CVD events was the same for all groups. In other words, seniors with low cholesterol died of heart attacks at the same rate as those with high cholesterol.

The group with the highest cholesterol ended up living the longest because their high cholesterol protected them from cancers and infections.

Heart attacks have many causes. Cholesterol is low on the list. Unfortunately the irrational fear of cholesterol lingers.

Last edited by davidt1; 03-10-2020 at 03:15 PM..

Old 03-10-2020, 05:23 PM

1,269 posts, read 674,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
The jury is still out on the benefit of lower cholesterol. A relative of mine died suddenly of a heart attack at the age of 47. He was an ER doctor and a picture of health. His bloodwork was impeccable.

Look up the 85 Plus Study. Researchers monitored a large group of senior citizens for 10 years, basically until they died. The seniors were divided into low, moderate, and high cholesterol groups. The researchers found that the risk for CVD events was the same for all groups. In other words, seniors with low cholesterol died of heart attacks at the same rate as those with high cholesterol.

The group with the highest cholesterol ended up living the longest because their high cholesterol protected them from cancers and infections.

Heart attacks have many causes. Cholesterol is low on the list. Unfortunately the irrational fear of cholesterol lingers.
I agree, and cholesterol-lowering drugs, namely statins have made massive amounts of money for Big Pharma yet heart disease claims about 650,000 deaths per year.
It's old school to rely heavily on lipid numbers, as roughly 50% of deaths from heart attacks happen to people with good bloodwork numbers.
Arterial health is a much better indicator of overall health than blood lipid tests.

Last edited by Bellacatahoula; 03-10-2020 at 05:40 PM..

Old 03-11-2020, 06:33 PM

These are better indicators of heart health.

Coronary calcium scoring
Insulin resistance
Blood pressure

These you can't do anything about.

Genetics
Bad luck

Cholesterol is so far down the list, it's almost useless in predicting heart health.

Old 03-13-2020, 08:50 PM

1,198 posts, read 666,104 times
How do you measure arterial health?

I have very healthy blood pressure, usually 98/60 on average. My pulse runs in the upper 50's, lower 60s. Oxygen measures 100% almost every time. Years ago when I was very anorexic and low weight my pulse was in the mid 40s which really freaked me out. I'd get dizzy a lot.

Old 03-14-2020, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinwomb View Post
How do you measure arterial health?

I have very healthy blood pressure, usually 98/60 on average. My pulse runs in the upper 50's, lower 60s. Oxygen measures 100% almost every time. Years ago when I was very anorexic and low weight my pulse was in the mid 40s which really freaked me out. I'd get dizzy a lot.
Triglyceride/HDL ratio is a good indicator to look at. Your number is less than 1, which is good. An ideal number is less than 3. A good self-test anyone can do is the waistline/body height ratio. An ideal number is .5 or less.

A good test of heart health is the CAC (heart scan). It's not covered by most insurance but is not expensive. This test is only recently recommended buy the guideline and many people are not even aware of it.

https://www.heart.org/-/media/files/...9EBF42C128107E

Last edited by davidt1; 03-14-2020 at 03:06 PM..

Old 05-20-2020, 10:53 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,663,870 times
Personally I doubt any cold pressed oil is a big deal. Chemically extracted and hydrogenated oils obviously not good. Cooking with oil maybe not great idea as it changes its chemistry, but consuming it on salad or whatever healthy enough. You seriously arent going to overeat on oil. Knock back a shotglass of olive oil some time. Do you want another?

And your body needs fat lot more than it needs excess carbs. Human brain is mostly fat. So if not using oil, you need to add tree nuts and oily seeds to your diet.

Disclaimer: I ate a vegetarian diet heavy in whole grains and beans and potatoes for 30+ years. REAL whole grains as in "have pressure cooker will travel". Bit sugar here or there, but no sweet tooth. No soda pop, no sugar in my coffee. No sweets setting around. Got diabetes and no family history of diabetes. Low cholesterol though. I now control blood sugar by eliminating ALL grain and most beans. Substituting flax and sunflower seed and pumpkin seed, and other oily seeds. They still have plenty of carbs, just far fewer than grains and beans. Be aware grain or some grain derived sugar or starch hidden in everything anymore. Its cheap so profitable. And its addictive, they have it down to a science on making the consumer reach their "bliss point".

Old 05-21-2020, 08:21 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,319,486 times
Yes your body needs fat, bit you are much better off getting the fat from the food itself. Olive's instead of olive oil. Avocado instead of avocado oil. Peanuts instead of peanut oil. The oil strips away all the good stuff in the food and leaves only the fat. People that don't use oil still can easily get the fat they need, and it's much healthier
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food