Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 04:45 PM

29,517 posts, read 22,653,459 times

Advertisements

There have been many great speakers about veganism, but none so eloquent as London based vegan activist Ed Winters.

Absolutely amazing speech from start to finish that takes down every argument against vegans/veganism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byTxzzztRBU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 07:29 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
He's amazing. Not only does he have great answers, but when he speaks to people he is very calm and non-confrontational. He asks the right questions to help the person he is speaking to come to their own conclusions.

Old 05-21-2019, 09:50 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Fortunately, I have never had to argue my vegetarianism.

Old 05-21-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Fortunately, I have never had to argue my vegetarianism.
You are very, very, very VERY lucky.

I was vegetarian 25+ prior to going vegan and I had someone question me about it at least weekly. It got very tiresome. Nowadays it is more mainstream so I think people are less unsure about it maybe.

Old 05-21-2019, 12:11 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,094,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
You are very, very, very VERY lucky.

I was vegetarian 25+ prior to going vegan and I had someone question me about it at least weekly. It got very tiresome. Nowadays it is more mainstream so I think people are less unsure about it maybe.
I get questioned at work quite a bit, but more in the way of people making fun.

Just yesterday a group of 3 co-workers, who obviously know I don't eat meat, asked if I'd like to share some of their lunch. I asked, "Ah, what's in it?" Chicken. "Ohhhh just eat around it," they said.

Meanwhile, one of the people is a devout religious believer and refuses to eat pork. Others respect him by not eating bacon around him at all. Imagine if someone asked him to eat around it.

It's wild.

Old 05-21-2019, 07:28 PM

29,517 posts, read 22,653,459 times
I'm fortunate in that no one at work has ever questioned my dietary choices.

One of my co-worker's wife is vegan, so it's nothing new. We are all pretty much open minded at work. People respect my vegan choices and whenever we go out to eat, they usually try to pick somewhere that has vegan options. And in turn, I have never lectured people at work or anywhere else that eats animal products.

It was more about health for me than ethical reasons, but when I hear speakers like these, it does hit home to me that our personal choices have effects on other things in life.

Old 05-22-2019, 06:58 AM

577 posts, read 494,494 times
I am not a vegan and at 67 years old now, I have never confronted anyone about their choice to be a vegan. I agree with the video's author that man's desire to eat red meat can be labeled as barbaric, but sorry folks...I do not see that desire going away any time soon. But I do have two comments to make on the video I watched.

1. The young man in the video was a bit misleading about his topic of dairy cows. A dairy farmer does not keep their dairy cow impregnated just so they can keep producing milk. The cow being raised for food has been genetically engineered to be the best source of beef to eat, therefore it is called a beef cow and raised for slaughter. The top dairy cows like the Holsteins and Jersey breeds, have been genetically engineered to produce huge amounts of milk. They do NOT have to be impregnated to keep up their milk supply. < on edit by GLOT: not a totally accurate statement due to my misinterpretation, of the explanation given to me.

2. I am of the firm belief that all adults have the right to eat whatever they want. My concern is about the children being raised by "purist" vegan parents. The young human body needs calcium and protein in its early stages of development in order to develop strong bones and teeth. To help the young body to get the amino acids it needs.

We know there are groups of vegetables that do have calcium and protein in them, but a serving of broccoli does not have near the amount of calcium in it, that a glass of milk does.

How many parents out here can HONESTLY say, they have raised children that ate large servings of green "stuff" in their meals ? To where they would have gotten their medically recommended needed daily requirement of protein and calcium ….as a young person ?

All JMO

Last edited by greglovesoldtrucks; 05-22-2019 at 08:24 AM..

Old 05-22-2019, 07:46 AM

There is 300mg of calcium in a glass of cow's milk vs 180mg in a cup of broccoli. I'd say that's pretty impressive for a vegetable considering we have all been brainwashed to think that we "need" milk for calcium. Spinach has 240mg and figs have 300mg. We don't "need" to drink the milk from a large mammal that is intended to for their offspring. Our bodies absorb calcium much more readily from plant.

And, yes, a dairy cow does need to keep their cows impregnated to produce milk. That is how mammals work. Dairy cows don't just produce milk all the time without being pregnant any more than a human does, a cat does, a tiger does, or a rat does. The sad part is the cow is pregnant for over 9 months and they don't get to raise their baby and mourn for it when it is taken away for veal or to be raised to be a dairy cow (depending on sex), and the cycle continues.

Also, there are numerous sources out there that show calcium taken from the milk of another animal such as a cow actually can do more harm than good, it doesn't give you strong bones as the dairy industry would have you believe. Be mindful of the source when you read articles on the subject, many are from the dairy industry which is, of course, going to tell you you need to consume as much dairy as possible.

Old 05-22-2019, 08:33 AM

577 posts, read 494,494 times
I edited my mis-statement above about the impregnation/milk production. But I stand by my position, that a child being raised on all vegetables WILL not get their daily requirement of calcium and protein.

Unless the parent does like my sister did her 4 children, and mistreats them. She would put kale greens or spinach etc on their plate and if they did not eat it, she would make them stay at the table while the rest of us that were not served green stuff on our plates....went out to play. And every one of her 4 kids grew up with "personality issues".

And today 67 years later me and millions of other of old people that grew up while eating meat and drinking milk, are not dropping dead any faster or any slower...than vegans.

Old 05-22-2019, 08:54 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
I don't think there is any reason to belittle or question people based on their diet choices. Of course some may wonder about a person's choices but that is not making fun of them or an attempt at putting people down. I think it is more a question of wanting to understand why some people choose one way and others another. What I have a problem with and I do see this often, is people who do choose a restricted diet and put others down for not eating the way they do. I have come across a few vegans and vegetarians that do give the impression that are just a little better or a little more knowlegable than those who do not agree with them. I cal them very self righteous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food