Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 10:09 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs45 View Post
That's alot of "pets" to pay for!! I don't see how it's possible unless you have lots of money to burn.
The less animals eaten, the less animals "created" so the population would not continue at the current rate and would get smaller all the time.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:24 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
While I certainly roll my eye at this one, It does bother me that Nut Juice is sold alongside Dairy products and called "Milk."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 02:22 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
While I certainly roll my eye at this one, It does bother me that Nut Juice is sold alongside Dairy products and called "Milk."
Why? This isn't some newfangled term created by or for vegans. Nut Juice (as you call it) has been called milk and used in recipes for hundreds and hundreds of years going back to the Middle Ages.

"Linguistically speaking, using “milk” to refer to the “the white juice of certain plants” (the second definition of milk in the Oxford American Dictionary) has a history that dates back centuries. The Latin root word of lettuce is lact, as in lactate, for its milky juice, which indicates that even the Romans had a fluid definition for milk.

Ken Albala, professor of history at University of the Pacific and host of the podcast Food: A Cultural Culinary History, says that almond milk “shows up in pretty much every medieval cookbook.” Almonds, which originate in the Middle East, reached southern Europe with the Moors around the 8th century, and their milk—yes, medieval Europeans called it milk in their various languages and dialects—quickly became all the rage among aristocrats as far afield as Iceland."

Read more: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...kDTGtadkoQi.99

Old 09-12-2019, 03:05 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Why? This isn't some newfangled term created by or for vegans. Nut Juice (as you call it) has been called milk and used in recipes for hundreds and hundreds of years going back to the Middle Ages.

"Linguistically speaking, using “milk” to refer to the “the white juice of certain plants” (the second definition of milk in the Oxford American Dictionary) has a history that dates back centuries. The Latin root word of lettuce is lact, as in lactate, for its milky juice, which indicates that even the Romans had a fluid definition for milk.

Ken Albala, professor of history at University of the Pacific and host of the podcast Food: A Cultural Culinary History, says that almond milk “shows up in pretty much every medieval cookbook.” Almonds, which originate in the Middle East, reached southern Europe with the Moors around the 8th century, and their milk—yes, medieval Europeans called it milk in their various languages and dialects—quickly became all the rage among aristocrats as far afield as Iceland."

Read more: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...kDTGtadkoQi.99
Can't rep you again, gotta "spread it around" but the word milk is far more than just about the secretions from a lactating mammal.

Old 09-17-2019, 07:06 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
We already know that many of these places do silly things because they are in opposite world and backwards day...all the time! But this one has to take the cake!

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2...-meatless-meat

"This week, a new law went into effect in Mississippi. The state now bans plant-based meat providers from using labels like “veggie burger” or “vegan hot dog” on their products. Such labels are potentially punishable with jail time. Words like “burger” and “hot dog” would be permitted only for products from slaughtered livestock. Proponents claim the law is necessary to avoid confusing consumers — but given that the phrase “veggie burger” hasn’t been especially confusing for consumers this whole time, it certainly seems more like an effort to keep alternatives to meat away from shoppers."

As one of the unhealthiest states in the USA - and the most Obese - and with the most heart disease and mortality problems from Diet...such a move is the complete opposite of logic and reason!

There is ZERO evidence that consumers are confused.......I certainly have never been.

Maybe a someone here can school us on why government should promote foods which are more polluting and vastly unhealthier?
True. The words "meat" and "milk" have many connotations.

Hot dog? It means nothing really. Hamburger comes from a city in Germany as does an alternative word for hot dog, "Frankfurter".

Legislating language is dangerous and silly. No one who REALLY wants the meat of a slaughtered dead animal will actually be fooled.

This state DOES have serious health issues. They should be HAPPY that there are alternatives for their population.

But, they are not.

Old 11-21-2019, 11:07 AM

1,107 posts, read 552,769 times
I always thought of the word "burger" and "hot dog" and "milk" as describing shape and consistency and style of food more than ingredients. Even among carnivores, there are different types of burgers, and I think someone expecting a beef burger might be sorely disappointed if served a turkey burger. Then again, maybe they only eat beef burgers in MS. Kind of like "barbeque" to them only means pork.

Old 11-21-2019, 11:55 AM

1,264 posts, read 667,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 562026 View Post
I always thought of the word "burger" and "hot dog" and "milk" as describing shape and consistency and style of food more than ingredients. Even among carnivores, there are different types of burgers, and I think someone expecting a beef burger might be sorely disappointed if served a turkey burger. Then again, maybe they only eat beef burgers in MS. Kind of like "barbeque" to them only means pork.
I agree!
While reading thru this bizarre thread it suddenly occurred to me that Mississippi would be a great state to set up shop if you were a newly educated, fresh out of school cardiologist. Problem is ...... more than likely cardiologists are also outlawed in the great state of Mississippi!

Old 11-21-2019, 04:03 PM

10,559 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Seems like a bit of discrimination going on there.

If they could outlaw veganism in MS I'm sure it'd be on the next legislative agenda.

Old 11-22-2019, 05:48 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,221,727 times
News Flash: Mississippi to ban milkweed and wiener dogs and require bleu cheese to change spelling to "blue" cheese.

Old 11-22-2019, 01:01 PM

1,264 posts, read 667,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellacatahoula View Post
I agree!
While reading thru this bizarre thread it suddenly occurred to me that Mississippi would be a great state to set up shop if you were a newly educated, fresh out of school cardiologist. Problem is ...... more than likely cardiologists are also outlawed in the great state of Mississippi!
* I would like to clarify my previous post (seen above) concerning the state of Mississippi's ban of veggie burgers. My tongue-in-cheek response is about the politicians of Mississippi and not the citizens of the state.
I apologize if I offended anyone (other than the politicians) as that was not my intent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food