Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 02:36 PM

29,423 posts, read 22,328,222 times

Advertisements

One of the most dumbest things I've ever read.

Kid wasn't even eating enough calories, period, yet they want to fixate on him being on a vegan diet, as if that was the root cause of his condition. Ridiculous.

I get tons of complete proteins and calories eating a vegan diet and never once felt tired or weak. This ain't rocket science folks.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/enter...ay/2425367001/

Quote:
The Smith family convened for an honest discussion on food in the latest episode of "Red Table Talk" Monday. During the discussion, the couple recalled how their 21-year-old son's vegan diet made them worried for his health.

"Will and I had a bit of an intervention with Jaden because he's a vegan now, but we realized he wasn't getting enough protein," Pinkett Smith said. "So he was wasting away."

According to Pinkett Smith, Jaden wasn't getting the sustenance he needed.

"He just looked drained," she said. "He was just depleted. He wasn't getting enough nutrients."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2019, 04:19 PM

9,478 posts, read 12,219,945 times
Just another feeble attempt to make veganism look bad. Anyone who skips meals and doesn't get enough nutrients is going to be unhealthy, but that isn't as interesting of a story.

Old 09-25-2019, 04:45 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,344,851 times
Leave it to some folks who self-label to try and create a "holier-than-thou" position to twist something innocuous into something stupid.

Concern for his diet, which happened to be vegan, is not the same as "Vegan Diets cause Malnutrition". M'kay? No one is out to "get" you, no one is try to make Vegan look bad (well, this one isn't anyway ~ it's a lifestyle story anyway). It was just using extra words to feed the SEO to try and gain more clicks. Congrats, you've just fallen for click-bait and fed the ad revenue machine. Whee....

Now, stop thinking everything is about you/your choices... they are as meaningless as me and my choices.

Old 09-25-2019, 04:46 PM

23,877 posts, read 32,152,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
One of the most dumbest things I've ever read.

Kid wasn't even eating enough calories, period, yet they want to fixate on him being on a vegan diet, as if that was the root cause of his condition. Ridiculous.

I get tons of complete proteins and calories eating a vegan diet and never once felt tired or weak. This ain't rocket science folks.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/enter...ay/2425367001/
That family needs a reality check and a consultation with a 21st C. nutritionist.

Old 09-26-2019, 06:18 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,122,099 times
That poor kid just landed a huge contract with Norwegian Cruise Line for his Just Water in a paper bottle as Norwegian abandons all single use plastic. His parents backed him and his idea to start the company when he was 12 and it's worth over $100 million now. Starving might be good for one's entrepreneurial spirit.

Old 09-28-2019, 11:33 AM

921 posts, read 521,423 times
I guess it's all in how you interpret the information. I took it as he was simply not eating correctly for his lifestyle. His parents were concerned and took action. They were being PARENTS. In many stories released by the media it's how parents aren't being actual parents. I think its fantastic that they noticed a problem and addressed the issue. It's not basing vegan or vegetarian diets. Why are some of you so defensive and/or negative? Focus on the good that this is showing. It never said, he's going to eat more meat from now on. lol

Diets are special to each individual. Not everyone can eat meat, or be vegan or even be vegetarian. What's good for the goose, isn't always good for the gander.

Wish you all the best. Have a great weekend!

H&K

Old 09-30-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Leave it to some folks who self-label to try and create a "holier-than-thou" position to twist something innocuous into something stupid.

Concern for his diet, which happened to be vegan, is not the same as "Vegan Diets cause Malnutrition". M'kay? No one is out to "get" you, no one is try to make Vegan look bad (well, this one isn't anyway ~ it's a lifestyle story anyway). It was just using extra words to feed the SEO to try and gain more clicks. Congrats, you've just fallen for click-bait and fed the ad revenue machine. Whee....

Now, stop thinking everything is about you/your choices... they are as meaningless as me and my choices.
Did you even click on the link? How is the headline "Will and Jada Pinkett Smith had 'intervention' with son Jaden for 'wasting away' as vegan" NOT pointing blame directly at a vegan diet? I have seen a variety of sources that also word the headline and article the same, it's the VEGAN part that is to blame, not the fact that he wasn't eating nearly enough regardless of what he was eating. All of the articles point to "eating meat will save him" which is wrong.

It's a sad reality that the media is ALWAYS out to discredit a vegan "diet" as unhealthy, especially sources that are linked to the meat and dairy industry. I guess a diet free of eating animals, free of medications, and free of a myriad of health issues is "unhealthy?"

Old 09-30-2019, 02:13 PM

1,168 posts, read 762,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Did you even click on the link? How is the headline "Will and Jada Pinkett Smith had 'intervention' with son Jaden for 'wasting away' as vegan" NOT pointing blame directly at a vegan diet? I have seen a variety of sources that also word the headline and article the same, it's the VEGAN part that is to blame, not the fact that he wasn't eating nearly enough regardless of what he was eating. All of the articles point to "eating meat will save him" which is wrong.

It's a sad reality that the media is ALWAYS out to discredit a vegan "diet" as unhealthy, especially sources that are linked to the meat and dairy industry. I guess a diet free of eating animals, free of medications, and free of a myriad of health issues is "unhealthy?"
The title says he was wasting away as a vegan, not wasting away due to being vegan. I also did not see the words meat, eggs or dairy mentioned in that article even once.

I think the problem that many people like Smith may have is they likely don't care for many of the foods that are required to make veganism sustainable. They only stick to the foods they like and wind up malnourished. For example, I'm not crazy about most nuts, seeds or vegetable oils, so I would definitely struggle to get enough fat on a vegan regimen.

I think it's great for those that are able to do it, but this is one of the reasons why it's not for everybody.

Old 09-30-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
The title says he was wasting away as a vegan, not wasting away due to being vegan. I also did not see the words meat, eggs or dairy mentioned in that article even once.

I think the problem that many people like Smith may have is they likely don't care for many of the foods that are required to make veganism sustainable. They only stick to the foods they like and wind up malnourished. For example, I'm not crazy about most nuts, seeds or vegetable oils, so I would definitely struggle to get enough fat on a vegan regimen.

I think it's great for those that are able to do it, but this is one of the reasons why it's not for everybody.
You don't have to say "meat, eggs, dairy" as the world knows that the "cure" to veganism is to eat animal products.

No no one is saying YOU should be vegan, but it is very much possible to get enough fat (and all other nutrients) on a vegan diet if a person does some research and pays attention to what they eat. But, that could be said for any diet (though veganism isn't a "diet") but no one every questions your health until they find out you do not eat animals then suddenly everyone is concerned about where your protein and fats and nutrients come from. (the answer to all of that is plants)

Old 09-30-2019, 04:18 PM

1,168 posts, read 762,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
You don't have to say "meat, eggs, dairy" as the world knows that the "cure" to veganism is to eat animal products.

No no one is saying YOU should be vegan, but it is very much possible to get enough fat (and all other nutrients) on a vegan diet if a person does some research and pays attention to what they eat. But, that could be said for any diet (though veganism isn't a "diet") but no one every questions your health until they find out you do not eat animals then suddenly everyone is concerned about where your protein and fats and nutrients come from. (the answer to all of that is plants)
Absolutely nothing I said suggested otherwise. It's one thing for you to be passionate about the lifestyle, but right now you're accusing people being misinformed or having a meat eater agenda simply because they explain why veganism doesn't work for them personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food