Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2019, 01:12 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,654,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
I cup anything that tends to roll in my dumb hand, so they stay put, and chop with the knife in the smart hand, moving towards the dumb hand. As the outer berries are chopped and suddenly have a flat side, they help hold the unchopped cranberries in place because they no longer roll.

If that makes sense.

Just keep your thumb on the cupped hand right out of the way.

No doubt that would work, much like my original idea of creating a holding area from chopped carrot and putting cranberries inside then rechopping whole pile.

Downside to cutting up anything with item in one hand and knife in other, first kinda dangerous if knife is sharp, second pretty slow unless you are just say slicing up few of something for a garnish. I cant criticize too much, way I used to cut up stuff before learning to use larger knife and cutting board. Rocking knife on cutting board whole lot faster and more efficient. Enough so it makes setting up food processor and then having to wash it, too big of a pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2019, 08:24 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,531,949 times
I like to use an ulu.

Old 12-17-2019, 06:47 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,654,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
I like to use an ulu.

Do you have the custom fit chopping bowl for it? I have very old carbon steel one I got somewhere in my kitchen knife collection, but no bowl and never use it. Without bowl, its just a knife with an extreme belly. If you are used to regular knife, think it takes different technique, but I never spent lot time figuring it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food