Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2020, 11:22 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,636,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post

I'm not sure why you meat eaters get a kick out of posting on vegan and vegetarian food forums to state that such products are no good. And then compound such silliness by lying about your experiences to support your positions.
Absolutely agree with how you feel.

I myself have wondered why anti-vegan meat eaters seem to get such a thrill from repeatedly coming to the vegan section of the forum to antagonize vegans and their lifestyle/products. I don't see vegans doing the same in the other food section.

And yet, these same people stereotype vegans as hostile and getting in other people's faces about their lifestyle.

Look what happened to my thread about the "Game Changers" documentary. As expected the anti-vegans butted their nose into the thread and baited and created a hostile environment which caused the thread to be locked.

What, exactly are these people doing on this section of the forum? You don't like vegan products or the lifestyle? Fine, then don't come here. Why, oh why, is that so hard to understand? These people see fit to judge all vegans as being judgmental and hostile, why not take a look in the mirror before posting anything here.

Beyond makes incredible meatless products, their burgers have similar texture and taste to meat, as does Impossible burgers. Beyond sausages are awesome, and no doubt this pork product will be great too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2020, 09:11 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
If they can get the texture close, with pork sausage, there is almost no meat taste, all you can really taste are the herbs and spices. So a pork breakfast sausage should be easy enough to fake. There are plenty of plant based fats to use instead of pork fat, which is a hugely important component of breakfast sausage.

I'm not vegan. I don't eat specialty vegan foods, but I do have to eat gluten-free. Most of the commercial gluten-free foods are pretty marginal, but hey, I can eat it. I suspect that the fake meats are never going to fool a carnivore, but hey, you can eat it and it is good enough.

As to why non-vegans come to your forum, C-D post interesting thread titles off to the right of the screen, and sometimes those look interesting enough to click on.

Old 01-12-2020, 12:44 PM

1,264 posts, read 665,727 times
Quote:
That is what is referred to as a nondenial denial. I still don't believe that you've ever done what you've claimed to have done; i.e., eat an Impossible burger at a "any high quality burger places."

Your posts remind me of the butcher from Maine who posted that he sold Impossible meat at his location even though Impossible Foods wasn't selling their product at any retail locations anywhere in the country (or the world for that matter) at that point in time.

I'm not sure why you meat eaters get a kick out of posting on vegan and vegetarian food forums to state that such products are no good. And then compound such silliness by lying about your experiences to support your positions.
I agree wholeheartedly with you MadMan, and Suburban Guy as well. As far as why non-vegans/ vegetarians post here or not, they are certainly free to do so if they wish, but wherever ANY of US post....we should be respectful of others points, views and of course diets.
I'm not going to name names but on a recent thread someone bragged about giving a family member beef instead of a Beyond burger, which she assumed was what she ate. He rather bragged about his deceitful behavior. Only a psychologist could explain why people behave in this manner. My guess is it's fear oriented, as quite a few people, once they know I am wfpb vegan, begin to explain why they eat meat to me without their diet ever being questioned. I don't pry or tell people what they should eat.... instead I focus on, what I should eat.

Old 01-12-2020, 01:13 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
That is what is referred to as a nondenial denial. I still don't believe that you've ever done what you've claimed to have done; i.e., eat an Impossible burger at a "any high quality burger places."

Your posts remind me of the butcher from Maine who posted that he sold Impossible meat at his location even though Impossible Foods wasn't selling their product at any retail locations anywhere in the country (or the world for that matter) at that point in time.

Couldn't rep you again, but yes, their posts are quite alike.

I've been a member of City Data for a long, long time. I have no idea why they get a kick out of posting here, or fixating on vegetarian/vegan food and eaters. Some of it seems to be sadism, which isn't a bit surprising. The other, fear of change. Their way of life is obviously not "set in stone" and the SAD (standard American diet) is on the decline. They feel threatened.

Maybe this is a good topic for the Psychology forum?

Anyway, I don't post on the Prepper forum because I am not a prepper, I have zero interest in prepping. I would have nothing to add. In essence I'd be there out of voyeurism. What are those people thinking about? I am not interested, but lurking is better than trolling and writing contentious comments.

Comparing anything made at a Fast Food restaurant, and anything made at a decent restaurant is futile. Unless you have a penchant for McFood - the non fast food will always win. Hands Down.

I think ham and pork (to of the first things I stopped eating after veal) are very easy to replicate and, dare I say, better than the original. I do look forward to trying the other products.

I made a delicious Tofuky ham around Christmas, mixing the sauce that came with it, a dark ale sauce, and Vermont maple syrup with allspice. I baked the hams with this mixture and it was crispy on the outside and just delicious.

Old 01-13-2020, 06:28 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,289,523 times
I saw a great comment on a post on Facebook this weekend that applies here. It plays on the old notion that people who are vegan have to constantly tell you they are vegan (which I don't even find to be true.)

How do you know someone is a meat eater? Don't worry, they will comment on a vegan thread and tell you.

Old 01-16-2020, 11:59 AM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I saw a great comment on a post on Facebook this weekend that applies here. It plays on the old notion that people who are vegan have to constantly tell you they are vegan (which I don't even find to be true.)

How do you know someone is a meat eater? Don't worry, they will comment on a vegan thread and tell you.
There is so much truth to this! Not only on City Data, but on Facebook. I am not a vegan, as you know, but I do not eat meat from mammals or fowl, and I eat very little dairy. I try to eat none.

Anyway, recently, a "frenemy" on Facebook posted that her - this is how she described him "hard core, militant, carnivore" husband, stopped at Burger King "out of curiosity" to try the "Impossible Burger".

First of all, I know Ray, and in no way this man was "curious" about anything. He wanted to make fun of it.
That's all.

His wife, who was once a friend, posted the half eaten burger that was "too disgusting to eat"

THEN, all of their sycophantic friends joined in to say how repulsive veggie burgers are, why aren't they green, if they hate meat, why do they want burgers? why not eat the real thing? Who knows what is in that crap. It probably gives you cancer.....yada yada yada…

She is one post away from being blocked. Or unfriended. She was a friend IRL over 25 years ago. She knew I became a "lacto ovo vegetarian" in 1989, and had nothing to say about it. We used to work together and sometimes eat out.

Suddenly, she is doing everything to drive me crazy. It isn't working, but it's interesting to watch. She's the one who is three years younger than I am, 40lbs overweight, has diabetes and high blood pressure.

Anyway, is there any reason why ARE people, who are antagonistic to vegetarianism, veganism, even meatless Monday - permitted to post here? ???

Isn't that THE VERY ESSENCE of TROLLING which is against the TOS?

My comparison with Preppers is an apt one. I don't want to prep. I am not a prepper. I don't care why they are prepping. There is nothing I have to add to the subject. And, truth be told, I think it's a little nuts.

Perfect storm for trolling, right?

What I said pretty much describes the anti-veg*n regulars we have here. They think it's a little crazy, or insane, they are hostile to the idea of even eating LESS meat, and they have an "axe to grind".

Many of the posts are beyond nasty. A few years ago, a frequent hostile poster, said my Thanksgiving menu was just "sad".

Why is this OK?

I think the vegetarian forum is also probably not a good place for butchers, ranchers, dairy farmers, pig farmers, and hunters. Yet ALL of them post here.

They even give themselves "kind" screen names to mask their true intention,

I'd love to hear an answer to this.

Old 01-17-2020, 09:14 PM

1,264 posts, read 665,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
There is so much truth to this! Not only on City Data, but on Facebook. I am not a vegan, as you know, but I do not eat meat from mammals or fowl, and I eat very little dairy. I try to eat none.

Anyway, recently, a "frenemy" on Facebook posted that her - this is how she described him "hard core, militant, carnivore" husband, stopped at Burger King "out of curiosity" to try the "Impossible Burger".

First of all, I know Ray, and in no way this man was "curious" about anything. He wanted to make fun of it.
That's all.

His wife, who was once a friend, posted the half eaten burger that was "too disgusting to eat"

THEN, all of their sycophantic friends joined in to say how repulsive veggie burgers are, why aren't they green, if they hate meat, why do they want burgers? why not eat the real thing? Who knows what is in that crap. It probably gives you cancer.....yada yada yada…

She is one post away from being blocked. Or unfriended. She was a friend IRL over 25 years ago. She knew I became a "lacto ovo vegetarian" in 1989, and had nothing to say about it. We used to work together and sometimes eat out.

Suddenly, she is doing everything to drive me crazy. It isn't working, but it's interesting to watch. She's the one who is three years younger than I am, 40lbs overweight, has diabetes and high blood pressure.

Anyway, is there any reason why ARE people, who are antagonistic to vegetarianism, veganism, even meatless Monday - permitted to post here? ???

Isn't that THE VERY ESSENCE of TROLLING which is against the TOS?

My comparison with Preppers is an apt one. I don't want to prep. I am not a prepper. I don't care why they are prepping. There is nothing I have to add to the subject. And, truth be told, I think it's a little nuts.

Perfect storm for trolling, right?

What I said pretty much describes the anti-veg*n regulars we have here. They think it's a little crazy, or insane, they are hostile to the idea of even eating LESS meat, and they have an "axe to grind".

Many of the posts are beyond nasty. A few years ago, a frequent hostile poster, said my Thanksgiving menu was just "sad".

Why is this OK?

I think the vegetarian forum is also probably not a good place for butchers, ranchers, dairy farmers, pig farmers, and hunters. Yet ALL of them post here.

They even give themselves "kind" screen names to mask their true intention,

I'd love to hear an answer to this.
Can I put this simply?
We take no food from their bowl,
so fear must be why they bite us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food