Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2020, 07:17 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times

Advertisements

That is why humans are not meant to be vegans. We are designed to consume meats. This vegan trend is not only expensive but it is dangerous. You don't give babies a vegetarian formula. Breast milk contains loads of amino acids or BCAAs. You can't find these essential amino acids that are important for breast and organ development. If veganism is bad for babies, why are people doing it? I eat lot of veggies everyday but I need my sustainable fish and red meat as well. If you're buying supplements just to shore up deficiencies in veggies then you are not doing your body any favors and it will be expensive too. I advocate eating veggies because it is the ideal source for getting minerals into your body and lowers inflammation. I only eat meat for proteins, B vitamins, potassium, and DHA/EPA. Even animals like dogs occasionally eat grass to help digestion and reduce inflammation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2020, 07:48 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
That is why humans are not meant to be vegans. We are designed to consume meats. This vegan trend is not only expensive but it is dangerous. You don't give babies a vegetarian formula. Breast milk contains loads of amino acids or BCAAs. You can't find these essential amino acids that are important for breast and organ development. If veganism is bad for babies, why are people doing it? I eat lot of veggies everyday but I need my sustainable fish and red meat as well. If you're buying supplements just to shore up deficiencies in veggies then you are not doing your body any favors and it will be expensive too. I advocate eating veggies because it is the ideal source for getting minerals into your body and lowers inflammation. I only eat meat for proteins, B vitamins, potassium, and DHA/EPA. Even animals like dogs occasionally eat grass to help digestion and reduce inflammation.
Meat eaters are often plenty deficient in all kinds of nutrients, you cannot get most vitamins from eating an animal. But for some reason, tell someone you are vegan and suddenly they panic about where you get your protein (all protein comes from plants, I go directly to the source, not filtered through an animal) and other nutrients.

I don't have kids, but veganism is not bad for babies. They can thrive on a plant based diet. I know plenty of very healthy adults who have been vegan since they were in the womb.

I don't supplement. I get what I need from my food.

Old 02-27-2020, 08:00 AM

7,255 posts, read 5,126,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Be assured that there will be "anti-vegetarian" and "pro-meat" posters showing up within minutes.

You can follow any religion you like, but at least don't spread lies about nutrition.

The article cited in the OP is patently false. As others have pointed out above, ALL animal sourced food contains all the essential AAs-- those are the ones H.sapiens can't manufacture out of other nutrients and must be supplied in the diet. The fact that cattle etc can make complete protein out of an herbaceous diet is a non sequitur meant to delude the naïve reader.

A major problem with the meatless diet is that, unless you happen to live in an area without seasons, you can't maintain good nutrition throughout the year and still "eat local." You must depend on a very sophisticated mercantile system which itself depends heavily on a petroleum based transportation system...So much for the "green" advantages of veganism.

Old 02-27-2020, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
You can follow any religion you like, but at least don't spread lies about nutrition.

The article cited in the OP is patently false. As others have pointed out above, ALL animal sourced food contains all the essential AAs-- those are the ones H.sapiens can't manufacture out of other nutrients and must be supplied in the diet. The fact that cattle etc can make complete protein out of an herbaceous diet is a non sequitur meant to delude the naïve reader.

A major problem with the meatless diet is that, unless you happen to live in an area without seasons, you can't maintain good nutrition throughout the year and still "eat local." You must depend on a very sophisticated mercantile system which itself depends heavily on a petroleum based transportation system...So much for the "green" advantages of veganism.
Veggies and fruits are available frozen

Old 02-27-2020, 08:28 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
veganism is not bad for babies.
This is just wrong. Babies need milk, period, and as we all know that is not vegan.

Florida couple arrested for manslaughter after 18-month-old son dies of malnourishment

They claim they were feeding the baby breast milk. I seriously doubt the baby was getting enough.

Quote:
Sheila and Ryan O’Leary told investigators that the vegan family only eats fruit, vegetables and raw foods, such as mangoes, rambutans, bananas and avocados, according to the News-Press. The parents supplemented the toddler’s diet with breast milk.

Old 02-27-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
This is just wrong. Babies need milk, period, and as we all know that is not vegan.

Florida couple arrested for manslaughter after 18-month-old son dies of malnourishment

They claim they were feeding the baby breast milk. I seriously doubt the baby was getting enough.
They need their human mother's milk, yes. No human needs milk from a cow.

Old 02-27-2020, 11:46 AM

7,255 posts, read 5,126,001 times
Quote:
Veggies and fruits are available frozen

But if you live in, say, Denver, where does that all come from? Most vegans can only pursue that lifestyle because they are able to rely on a sophisticated, long distance supply chain.

We sure have become spoiled. We expect fresh strawberries and apples should be available to us 12 months a year. It wasn't so long ago that things like that were only available "in season."

Old 02-27-2020, 12:06 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,092,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I agree. I was never vegan, although I like vegan food, but when I started eating fish again, I stopped saying I was vegetarian.
Isn't vegan food just... well, food?

I often offer my carnivore friend in Las Vegas to try a certain vegetarian or vegan restaurant to which he replies, "I don't eat that."

Sure you do. It's food. You just happen to add more things on top of it most meals.

Old 02-27-2020, 12:23 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
They need their human mother's milk, yes. No human needs milk from a cow.
I have to ask you: where would an infant get milk if mommy in unable to nurse? They would need to et it from a cow in order to get enough calcium. Now in the rare case a baby is allergic to cows milk, then, of course substituting soy is better than no milk at all.

I think there are good arguments on both sides; vegetarians versus meat eaters: not probably as many good arguments for veganism.

Meat eaters who really do eat healthy eat a lot of veggies, and fruits. and can be very healthy. Vegetarians might be able to get all the protein they need simply from their diet but they have to work a lot harder at it.

The notion about eating whole proteins was pushed in the 60s by a Adele Davis, who got rich on stressing the need for whole proteins. She, of course wasn't the only one who did this. I will add, I followed her advise for many years including eating organ meats at least once a week. She died from stomach cancer I will add. I look back on it now and think she was way over the top. The best part of her theories was the information on preservatives and how bad they are. At that time no one ever talked about preservatives.

I still maintain would doubt the information written in the Huffington Post and still hold to the theory of complete protein, but if one is healthy, feels good and can get what they need, nutritionally without meats that is fine.

Old 02-27-2020, 12:35 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
Isn't vegan food just... well, food?

I often offer my carnivore friend in Las Vegas to try a certain vegetarian or vegan restaurant to which he replies, "I don't eat that."

Sure you do. It's food. You just happen to add more things on top of it most meals.
I kind of thought the same thing. If it's not from animals, it's vegan. Nothing special and I eat them all of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food