Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 08:48 PM

1,579 posts, read 957,343 times

Advertisements

Thanks again.

Yeah, I need to be more flexible but sometimes it's hard to even find substitutes for the recipes. It's really hard to think of a peanut butter substitute when it's the primary ingredient for the sauce (I actually have peanut butter now though). But I have made a few substitutions here and there. My daughter made a recipe that called for rice flour. There was none. There was no regular flour, rice flour, flax flour, etc. We found one last bag of tapioca flour and used that. It didn't really work though, the recipe fell apart (but it tasted okay).

But I will do what was suggested with coming up with a substitute for each recipe.

As for lasagna, there haven't been any noodles in three weeks. Also no vegetarian crumbles (but I had a couple of bags in my freezer).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2020, 11:37 PM

30,634 posts, read 16,304,561 times
layer eggplant instead of noodles.

and BTW, kudos to your daughter for not eating animals.

Old 03-30-2020, 06:59 PM

5,340 posts, read 8,565,618 times
If you're open to gluten free noodles - this brand is very good (I say this as someone who has eaten many different brands of GF noodles) - here are lasagna noodles: https://www.vitacost.com/tinkyada-br...asagna+noodles

Old 03-31-2020, 09:16 PM

88,749 posts, read 85,121,709 times
Make basic rice and beans--a can of beans ( I like black beans best), rice, and a can of diced tomatoes. From there you can add spinach or corn or onions or whatever. It's filling and tastes good.

I made some last week. Black beans and rice and tomatoes. I added lots of onion, then I ate them with a baked sweet potato and those Glory seasoned greens. You could use spinach or some other leafy green.

Old 04-02-2020, 02:36 PM

289 posts, read 490,377 times
A Spanish or Mexican rice mix, made as directed, adding a can of rinsed black beans and a can of tomatoes

Frozen cheese ravioli, made as directed, mixed with a jar of alfredo sauce, then add loose frozen spinach and heat until all hot

French toast, scrambled eggs, veggie sausage (Morningstar frozen), and fruit

A can of vegetarian chili over tator tots (if you can find them and if you don’t have time to make chili)

Veggie soup (Amy’s)/grilled cheese

Protein noodles/spaghetti sauce

Last edited by claytonmom; 04-02-2020 at 02:47 PM..

Old 08-31-2020, 12:30 AM

934 posts, read 1,131,343 times
Easy Mexican vegetarian meal: Vegetable tacos. I chopped up fresh peppers, jalapenos, tomatoes, and onion and sauteed in a pan till they start to break down. I added cumin and salt and garlic. Earlier in the week I made a batch of pinto beans and refried them and I took some of those, heated them up and used them on pan heated corn tortillas with a little Valentina hot sauce and cotija cheese. VERY good and filling! You can skip the cheese if you don't want it. The rest is vegan and tasty!

Old 08-31-2020, 10:29 AM

50,432 posts, read 64,212,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingLiberty1919D View Post
My teen-aged daughter is vegetarian and while I am not, we are the only two in the house and I just find it easier to cook with her in mind (doesn't bother me not to eat meat, I just don't care. If anything, I like that my grocery bill is low because I don't buy it, haha).

Anyway, with the current pandemic and runs on the stores, I am finding it hard to follow recipes. I will make a list, go to the store, and I won't be able to get everything. So I've kind of fallen into "easy to substitute" recipes. For example, a good one is make your own personal pizza night... all I need are crusts but I can substitute bagels. Then we can put any toppings we might have or things I might find at the store. No cheese? We made vegan pizzas. No pizza sauce? We used pesto one time (that was really good).

We have recipes that we like and are out main staples, but sometimes it can be hard to find all the ingredients. For example bean burritos are a favorite, but one week there were no onions or peppers. Then the next week there were, but there were not burrito shells. I finally was able to get everything last week for that recipe. But last week there was no pasta at all to make squash stuffed shells. The week before that there was pasta, but no eggs. I never know what I am going to walk into and I am trying to limit my grocery shopping to one day a week. So I am trying to come up with some flexible ideas like those pizzas.

I have recipe books that I usually use in normal times, but even then there were always a few ingredients I just couldn't find. So the books are pretty much useless. I need simple recipes with few ingredients that we can switch out. Right now, sometimes finding basics can be an issue let alone more complex recipes. And it's never the same thing each time I go to the store.

Anyone have any ideas for simple recipes where it's easy to make substitutions?
I’m not vegetarian, but I’m making the Barilla manicotti recipe tonight and it is vegetarian. Ricotta, mushrooms, spinach, marinara sauce and Parmesan cheese. I actually couldn’t find the manicotti pasta, so I’m using jumbo shells.

Old 04-06-2021, 12:36 PM

5,121 posts, read 2,174,224 times
Do you have a plant based meal delivery service in your town? It's been a life saver for our family. You sign in, select your lunches and dinners (breakfast for us is normally oatmeal with fruit) and most deliver one weeks worth of food per week. Throw them in the fridge and enjoy! Let them to all the prep and cooking

Expensive? A tad, but it's a total investment towards health.

Old 04-09-2021, 09:56 PM

29,531 posts, read 22,762,892 times
I like to keep things simple. I keep stock of things like oatmeal, jasmine or basmati white rice, brown lentils, beans, Butler soy curls (on Amazon). When I go to store I get frozen veggies and fruits (so I stop wasting money throwing away unused fresh stuff), soy milk, occasional extra firm tofu, and meat substitutes like Beyond meat. I pretty much eat the same things more or less but use different spices and sauces to keep variety.

Old 04-11-2021, 12:07 AM

4,705 posts, read 3,045,017 times
I wondered where the OP lived, that everyday staples were in such short supply...
but I see OP started this thread a year ago, when the advent of the coronavirus
was causing such havoc. Presumably the store shelves are much better stocked now,
where ever it is that he/she lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food