Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-07-2020, 12:50 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
28,226 posts, read 37,113,869 times
Reputation: 28569

Advertisements

Not sure if you all have seen Bryant Terry's books - but he launched a new one and needed to pause his book tour due to pandemic. He mostly focuses on vegan and vegetarian recipes influenced by the Black diaspora - soul food, African food, and Caribbean foods. But he also combines global influences and "California cuisine."

Here is a good mini review from Food52 and another overview from Splendid Table.

We have had lots of fun with his books in my cookbook club, and thought I would share this new one. The recipes are teamed with a soundtrack as well.

I have his Afro-Vegan book, and this one looks fun too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-18-2020, 11:30 AM
 
1,107 posts, read 562,811 times
Reputation: 2739
Wow, I read the reviews and this looks amazing! I'm definitely going to take a look at his books. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2020, 01:25 PM
 
Location: Madrid
1 posts, read 1,193 times
Reputation: 10
I'll definitely give it a try. I was lookinf for something like this to change some boring recipes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2021, 02:56 PM
 
Location: As of 2022….back to SoCal. OC this time!
9,297 posts, read 4,679,689 times
Reputation: 7618
I’ve never thought about a cookbook for vegan recipes. I just use the internet for new ideas....my favorites I recently made are cauliflower tacos with a cashew crema & spaghetti bolognese.

Forks over Knives & Food Monster are awesome vegan recipe apps IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2021, 11:16 AM
 
Location: Elsewhere
89,239 posts, read 86,099,612 times
Reputation: 116350
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
I’ve never thought about a cookbook for vegan recipes. I just use the internet for new ideas....my favorites I recently made are cauliflower tacos with a cashew crema & spaghetti bolognese.

Forks over Knives & Food Monster are awesome vegan recipe apps IMO.
There was an awesome vegan/vegetarian restaurant my daughter and I went to in London in 2015 called Tibits. It was a Swiss restaurant first, and sadly, it looks as if they've closed their London restaurants now.

But they had a great cookbook called Vegan Love Story. I bought it for my daughter.

https://www.amazon.ca/Vegan-Love-Sto.../dp/1780262639

I made their potato and mushroom pot pie.

Sometimes it is nice to have a cookbook. The Internet is great and so many different recipes are accessible, but too many online recipes are preceded by some long droning story about how their grandmother's cousin's neighbor made this on a rainy day when she didn't want to go the market and she was out of XYZ so substituted MNO...and I find it tedious scrolling down through the word salad sludge to get to the actual recipe. Apparently a lot of cooks fancy themselves to be writers, lol.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: https://www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2021, 11:42 AM
 
Location: As of 2022….back to SoCal. OC this time!
9,297 posts, read 4,679,689 times
Reputation: 7618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Sometimes it is nice to have a cookbook. The Internet is great and so many different recipes are accessible, but too many online recipes are preceded by some long droning story about how their grandmother's cousin's neighbor made this on a rainy day when she didn't want to go the market and she was out of XYZ so substituted MNO...and I find it tedious scrolling down through the word salad sludge to get to the actual recipe. Apparently a lot of cooks fancy themselves to be writers, lol.







Ha...ita about “writers”. I’ve never used cookbooks AND IMO an app gives you a lot more variety to thousands & thousands of recipes...by different ppl. You can also click & jump to the recipe online if you don’t want to read that stuff....because I’m like you, I don’t want to read their stories about their grandmother’s cousin..ha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2021, 12:00 PM
 
Location: Elsewhere
89,239 posts, read 86,099,612 times
Reputation: 116350
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Ha...ita about “writers”. I’ve never used cookbooks AND IMO an app gives you a lot more variety to thousands & thousands of recipes...by different ppl. You can also click & jump to the recipe online if you don’t want to read that stuff....because I’m like you, I don’t want to read their stories about their grandmother’s cousin..ha.
That's true, there is so much more on the Internet! When I searched for the potato mushroom pot pie just before, I got a bunch of different ones and I might check a few of those out. There is such a variety.

You younger folks don't remember the pre-Internet joy of buying a brand-new cookbook, holding it in your hands and sitting down to peruse it. There was something to be said about that. I was very into cooking back in the 1980s, and I had quite a collection, most of which I lost in a house fire.

I stopped cooking as much once I was divorced (that's something I do have to say for my ex--he was happy to be my guinea pig and always ate leftovers lol) and my daughter grew up and left. There wasn't much point in cooking just for myself when I could just buy premade food, and I had to work a lot of long hours and just lost interest.

But from March to November this past year, between being isolated and separated from my SO for most of the year due to COVID, coupled with the need to change my diet for health reasons, I spent more time than I had in YEARS chopping and prepping meals for myself, and I find myself looking at recipes again. There really is a lot online.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: https://www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2021, 12:45 PM
 
Location: As of 2022….back to SoCal. OC this time!
9,297 posts, read 4,679,689 times
Reputation: 7618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

You younger folks don't remember the pre-Internet joy of buying a brand-new cookbook, holding it in your hands and sitting down to peruse it. There was something to be said about that. I was very into cooking back in the 1980s, and I had quite a collection, most of which I lost in a house fire.




You’re right....never experienced that. Sry you lost your collection...how awful about a house fire.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
But from March to November this past year, between being isolated and separated from my SO for most of the year due to COVID, coupled with the need to change my diet for health reasons, I spent more time than I had in YEARS chopping and prepping meals for myself, and I find myself looking at recipes again. There really is a lot online.




I’m sry you were separated from your SO. Covid & isolation has been hard enough....I’m so over it. I have gotten more of an interest in cooking too because I cook more now than I used to because we can’t eat out as much...especially vegan or vegetarian. I have found a lot of recipes on apps that my fiancé likes even tho he isn’t either. Ita it’s just about eating healthy & getting more plant based protein.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2021, 07:12 PM
 
2 posts, read 1,163 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Not sure if you all have seen Bryant Terry's books - but he launched a new one and needed to pause his book tour due to pandemic. He mostly focuses on vegan and vegetarian recipes influenced by the Black diaspora - soul food, African food, and Caribbean foods. But he also combines global influences and "California cuisine."

Here is a good mini review from [URL="https://food52.com/blog/25044-best-vegetable-kingdom-bryant-terry-cookbook-recipes"]Food52[/URL] and another overview from [URL="https://www.splendidtable.org/story/the-basic-pleasures-of-eating-inside-bryant-terrys-vegetable-kingdom"]Splendid Table[/URL].

We have had lots of fun with his books in my cookbook club, and thought I would share this new one. The recipes are teamed with a soundtrack as well.

I have his Afro-Vegan book, and this one looks fun too!
Ok, awesome! I'm going to look for his book - thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top