Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 07:12 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times

Advertisements

Plant-based, fine, if that is what you prefer.

But, yeah, I was looking at some plant-based "meat" today........first three ingredients
were pea-protein, sunflower-oil and canola-oil, yikes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2020, 08:14 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Plant-based, fine, if that is what you prefer.

But, yeah, I was looking at some plant-based "meat" today........first three ingredients
were pea-protein, sunflower-oil and canola-oil, yikes!
Much better than what is it n meat!

Old 06-06-2020, 08:32 AM

225 posts, read 144,311 times
Seeing folks buying processed foods made to look like meat based foods make me sad. So easy to cook healthy from scratch meals. So many put priority on quick. Inexpensive. Microwave to table in under fifteen minutes. Wolf it down and done. Back to their screens. Sad. Now that many have more time at home, maybe more will prepare meals from scratch and eat their meals at a more leisurely pace. Reports of more people baking is positive. Hope that continues after we have a vaccine. Enjoying a meal prepared from scratch with those you care about is one life's pleasures. Over-reliance on takeout and processed frozen meals is not way to a healthy diet. Nourish your body and soul. Be your best self.

Old 06-06-2020, 09:41 AM

1,264 posts, read 666,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trouillot View Post
Seeing folks buying processed foods made to look like meat based foods make me sad. So easy to cook healthy from scratch meals. So many put priority on quick. Inexpensive. Microwave to table in under fifteen minutes. Wolf it down and done. Back to their screens. Sad. Now that many have more time at home, maybe more will prepare meals from scratch and eat their meals at a more leisurely pace. Reports of more people baking is positive. Hope that continues after we have a vaccine. Enjoying a meal prepared from scratch with those you care about is one life's pleasures. Over-reliance on takeout and processed frozen meals is not way to a healthy diet. Nourish your body and soul. Be your best self.
Well said trouillot! I couldn't agree with you more. Food is fuel for our bodies, it determines so many things in our life. Sadly, many look at food as a hassle and get it over with in as little time as possible, using a microwave and processed junk. That is how so many treat their own life, it's no wonder respect of other's lives is diminishing.

Old 06-06-2020, 03:58 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
LOL, it is, and I wish I could do that, but...coronavirus. I haven't seen those I love most in months! Even my cat is 500 miles away. I HAVE been cooking a lot. I took a pic one day of something I made and shared it with a group of former coworker-friends that message together on Facebook, and one of them said, "Wow, who knew you were such a cook?"

I was speechless. I used to be known as such a good cook, but then I realized that this woman never knew me then. When you don't have anyone to cook for anymore and eat most meals alone, it's easy to let it go.

I never did do much in the way of frozen/microwave, though. That stuff doesn't appeal to me. Just found easy things to prepare, and yes, got a lot of takeout. Even these days of isolating, it's a lot of work to chop chop chop and prep food that's only going to be enjoyed by me and then have a mess to clean up, but the time to do it is there, and I have been altering my food choices and eating healthier, so the forced attention to meals is beneficial in a way. I do usually make enough for two meals.

Those of you who get to share meals "with those you care about" are fortunate. Enjoy!

I have been having a few outdoor dinners with a neighbor friend recently. She is older and has health issues that put her at risk, but lately she has felt safe enough for us to have dinner on her patio. I brought food I made one time, she made food another time.

Old 06-11-2020, 10:20 AM

1,584 posts, read 981,453 times
Quote:
YMMV, but I like veggie burgers, veggie meatballs, tofu dogs, and veggie sausages, and I don’t feel I’m eating unhealthily doing so. One can make tasty meals using such foods, and we do at home. I almost never eat meat or dairy anymore, and I don’t miss it. And I don’t consider the most successful veggie “meats” to be those that most closely approximate meat flavor and texture, either.

I also don’t use the microwave anymore, either.

Old 06-13-2020, 08:00 AM

37 posts, read 43,410 times
Quote:
I cook from scratch with whole foods 95% of the time. Once in a while I just want a burger or everyone else is having burgers and it's easier to do that than it is to prepare and eat a separate meal for one person. No one eats a perfect diet and to deny yourself anything that isn't cooked from cooked from scratch EVER borders on disordered eating. My BP is good, my BMI is 23%, my blood sugars are low, my cholesterol levels are healthy, my blood work doesn't show any vitamin deficiencies, and I'm pretty active physically. Occasionally I have a processed plant patty. I'm sorry if that gives you a sadz.

Old 06-17-2020, 09:25 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,217,972 times
Quote:
Despite the taste and gratification of eating something I grew myself I still enjoy my Beyond burgers and various meat substitutes. I don't see any conflict with consuming some faux meat products while focusing on home cooking with fresh ingredients.

Old 06-17-2020, 09:47 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
Quote:
Seeing folks judge others for their choices makes me sad.

We ate Beyond Burgers all through the lockdown. I make a wicked Shepherds Pie with Beyond Meat and about a half a million veggies. It's labor intense but worth it. My secret ingredient is red wine. It gives the sauce a deep,rich flavor.

Old 06-17-2020, 10:11 AM

24,112 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
YMMV, but I like veggie burgers, veggie meatballs, tofu dogs, and veggie sausages, and I don’t feel I’m eating unhealthily doing so. One can make tasty meals using such foods, and we do at home. I almost never eat meat or dairy anymore, and I don’t miss it. And I don’t consider the most successful veggie “meats” to be those that most closely approximate meat flavor and texture, either.

I also don’t use the microwave anymore, either.
I don't feel hat I am eating unhealthily either. I eat a meat analog 2-3 times per week. Not three meals per day, seven days per week.

There are so many great recipes using veggie burgers and other meat alternatives. Now that Summer is finally here, I look forward to grilling them, along with grilled vegetables, fruit and corn.

My veggie burgers are non GMO organic, soy free and free of hormones and antibiotics. MUCH more healthy than meat,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food