Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 10:16 AM

1,107 posts, read 552,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trouillot View Post
Seeing folks buying processed foods made to look like meat based foods make me sad. So easy to cook healthy from scratch meals. So many put priority on quick. Inexpensive. Microwave to table in under fifteen minutes. Wolf it down and done. Back to their screens. Sad. Now that many have more time at home, maybe more will prepare meals from scratch and eat their meals at a more leisurely pace. Reports of more people baking is positive. Hope that continues after we have a vaccine. Enjoying a meal prepared from scratch with those you care about is one life's pleasures. Over-reliance on takeout and processed frozen meals is not way to a healthy diet. Nourish your body and soul. Be your best self.
Being home doesn't necessarily mean having more time! I'm working from home, longer hours than ever. And I have 18 cats to care for -- most indoors, some outdoors -- which takes A LOT of time, and I'd rather spend my time caring for and enjoying them than standing over a stove. I guess that's how I nourish my soul! Maybe I'd feel differently if I had children. I actually enjoy vegan "fast food."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2020, 08:41 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
Gardein is always sold out when I go shopping at certain stores. Meat eaters are buying most of it surprisingly. Las Vegas has an ALL vegan grocer. Also 20 all vegan eateries.
This makes me happy! A Vegan Grocer? And 20 Vegan eateries? I am also sure there is something other than meat on the menus of standard menus.

I am not a vegan - or a vegetarian even, since I eat fish very occasionally for personal health reasons. I will only eat wild caught fish or sea food. I really try to avoid dairy, for a multitude of reasons both health and ethical.

Meat analogs back in 1989, when I stopped eating meat, poultry and fish, were scarce and barely palatable.

Today, they are delicious!

So many people are responding to the demand for easy to prepare meat free foods.

I just read that Purdue, is launching a chicken free product.
Same with Kentucky Fried Chicken has done the same.

Do you think that's because Perdue and KFC are becoming enlightened?

Nah. They're only in it for the money. There is obvious public demand.

Old 10-06-2020, 08:59 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trouillot View Post
Seeing folks buying processed foods made to look like meat based foods make me sad. So easy to cook healthy from scratch meals. So many put priority on quick. Inexpensive. Microwave to table in under fifteen minutes. Wolf it down and done. Back to their screens. Sad. Now that many have more time at home, maybe more will prepare meals from scratch and eat their meals at a more leisurely pace. Reports of more people baking is positive. Hope that continues after we have a vaccine. Enjoying a meal prepared from scratch with those you care about is one life's pleasures. Over-reliance on takeout and processed frozen meals is not way to a healthy diet. Nourish your body and soul. Be your best self.
Don't be so quick to judge! I HATE fast food. I don't really like Burger King's version of The Impossible Burger. It's much better made at home. If I am on an interstate, driving for hours, it's good to know it's there.

Why do you assume that all of these foods are tossed in the microwave? That just isn't so. Many creative cooks use them as the basis for recipes. Beyond Beef can be used in recipes ranging from meat loaf, tacos, enchiladas, stuffed peppers, Italian meat balls, Swedish Meatballs, and a variety of casseroles.

I have used Quorn plain "chicken" filets to make Chicken Dijon, Chicken Parm, Chicken with white wine and Tarragon, Chicken Salad and MORE.

I PREFER Tofurkey Ham to the real thing. We only have it on holidays because that's when it's sold.

Why are you assuming that people who cook with meat are not eating processed foods?

In my social circle, very few people eat a Standard American Diet.

ETA - people "baking more" is hardly a good thing. Sugar is a dangerous food.

Old 10-07-2020, 08:34 PM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Huh, never thought of that. I make a vegan lentil shepherds pie. MY secret ingredient (OK, it's not "mine" and it's not a secret--I saw it on the Internet) is A-1 steak sauce. It is vegan, and it's good with the lentils.
Lol, I posted the same thing four months ago in this thread.

Old 10-07-2020, 09:01 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Yes, they are more healthy than any meat because they are low in cholesterol and have zero saturated fat. Saturated fat is only present in ANIMAL BASED FOODS - Meat and Dairy.

No one things saturated fat is good for you. https://www.heart.org/en/healthy-liv...saturated-fats
That's not entirely correct. While saturated fat is mainly found in animal foods, there are a few plant foods that are also high in saturated fats, such as coconut, coconut oil, palm oil, and palm kernel oil.

Old 10-16-2020, 09:45 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
The whole idea of eating a plant based "meat" is ridiculous. You never hear a meat eating person wants to eat a broccoli made of bacon.

I don't care if you eat for environment nor political reasons, eating a highly processed and designed food makes the whole plant eating diet a joke.

Old 10-16-2020, 02:15 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
The whole idea of eating a plant based "meat" is ridiculous. You never hear a meat eating person wants to eat a broccoli made of bacon.

I don't care if you eat for environment nor political reasons, eating a highly processed and designed food makes the whole plant eating diet a joke.
Newsflash for you, Einstein: plant-based meats such as Beyond Burger and Impossible Burger are specifically marketed toward meat eaters. And if you try really hard to use some of that big brain of yours, you'd realize - - - just as the developers and managers of those companies do - - - that they'd soon go out of business if they had to rely solely on vegans and vegetarians to buy their products.

And finally: frankly, nobody cares what you think is ridiculous or a joke. In fact, coming to a vegetarian and vegan food forum to complain about vegetarian and vegan food items has to land pretty damn high on the ridiculous scale.

Old 10-16-2020, 06:28 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,952,361 times
Our meat is plant based... we feed our cows, pigs and chickens plants and vegetables.

Old 10-17-2020, 11:32 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Newsflash for you, Einstein: plant-based meats such as Beyond Burger and Impossible Burger are specifically marketed toward meat eaters. And if you try really hard to use some of that big brain of yours, you'd realize - - - just as the developers and managers of those companies do - - - that they'd soon go out of business if they had to rely solely on vegans and vegetarians to buy their products.

And finally: frankly, nobody cares what you think is ridiculous or a joke. In fact, coming to a vegetarian and vegan food forum to complain about vegetarian and vegan food items has to land pretty damn high on the ridiculous scale.
Not much of a meat eater who wants a plant based substitute sounds like someone who eats Thai but only dares to eat Pad Thai.

It's just a fad nothing else. Let's see they try replace that Ribeye steak with a pea based protein.

Old 10-19-2020, 11:47 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

Quit seasoning your meat with plants then, and eat it just as it is. You know, salt, pepper, garlic, oregano, etc etc etc that is used to make meat palatable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food