Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2020, 07:25 PM

1,269 posts, read 679,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
These alien / synthesized lab creations confuse the body. And if the stuff can't be digested, will likely leave remnants / residues in the body.
A high proportion of the "Western diet" is predominately alien, synthesized and lab created. Everything from diet soda, to corn, to romaine lettuce to poultry and meats. It's all corrupted. It's all suspect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2020, 07:23 AM

88,851 posts, read 85,274,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
MQ I know that you are not a fan of Faux Meats - and that you are no longer a vegetarian or vegan.

Then years ago, the options were not good. Twenty years ago they were even worse.

I am going to bet that there ARE some meat analogs that you have not yet tried, that you would enjoy.

Honestly, I wish I could cook you dinner.

What brand were these sausages? No. They are not "traditional" bangers and they are nowhere near as fatty and greasy. I agree, who knows what is in them?

Sausage can be delicious. So can hot dogs. I feel so much more comfortable eating the plant-based variety. I am not a fan of fat or grease either.

I'd like to give you some suggestions about the best meat analogs. And recipes if you would like.

Some are "meh" and others are really wonderful.
Hey, I just saw this. The answer to that question was in my post--they were Beyond brand. I just tried the "brat" version, not the Italian, so with the seasonings, I might like them better. The consistently and the texture put me off a bit, though, and they had very little flavor.

Sure, I'm up for recommendations if you have any! Although as you pointed out I am no longer a vegetarian, I still do eat a lot of meatless meals and make sure to have meatless days. It more or less depends upon with whom I am sharing a meal or if I am sharing a meal with anyone. When eating alone, I tend to eat vegetarian or pescatarian. When I'm with my daughter, I eat vegetarian. With my S.O., I do eat meat, but he also comes over to my side and shares fish or meatless meals at times.

I do like the Beefless Ground by Gardein, especially in sauce for the rare times I eat pasta. I keep a bag of that in my freezer. I used it rather recently because I found a high-protein chickpea/lentil pasta that I liked. Also, I tried some "meatballs" not long ago that were pretty good. I forget the brand.

Old 12-04-2020, 06:54 PM

29,536 posts, read 22,805,676 times
I'm a new fan of the Pizza Hut Beyond sausage topping.

I get pan pizza (it is vegan) with Beyond sausage and black olive topping, no cheese, very good.

Old 05-11-2021, 06:30 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,914,613 times
I was amazed how many meat eaters cleared the shelves during the lock down. Not ALL vegan patties resemble MEAT. Some are loaded with vegetables, garbanzo flour, etc. Minimum processing. I do admit to "burning out' on some of the Gardein products, but there are so many other brands to choose from. Some are dry, and tough, so I wrap in foil, add a little water to it, and bake awhile. I talked a young couple into trying the frozen "Just Egg" mini omlette squares. They are all plant derived, and super. Whole foods has them in the frozen breakfast area. Pop them in a toaster !

Old 05-28-2022, 04:20 PM

Kim Kardashian is now a promoter of Beyond Meat. Yuck. Their stocks are now at 28 dollars. I will no longer support them. I will stick with FRYS and Alpha.

Old 05-28-2022, 07:43 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,549,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
Kim Kardashian is now a promoter of Beyond Meat. Yuck. Their stocks are now at 28 dollars. I will no longer support them. I will stick with FRYS and Alpha.
I don't particularly admire her, but if her promotion means people harm fewer animals, I am all for it.

That said, Field Roast is pretty good, too. Also, as someone else said, it is possible to make your own. Forks Over Knives has a lot of good recipes, as does America's Test Kitchen, the latter tending to be much simpler to prepare.

Old 06-24-2022, 06:10 PM

I don't support Beyond Meat any more. I buy mostly the unbreaded Gardein, and Wicked brands. Dr Preagers are good. My very favorite is the Vegetarian Plus vegan Turkey roll at Holiday times. Pricey, but perfect hot or cold. Not rubbery.

Old 07-01-2022, 10:45 AM

88,851 posts, read 85,274,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
I don't support Beyond Meat any more. I buy mostly the unbreaded Gardein, and Wicked brands. Dr Preagers are good. My very favorite is the Vegetarian Plus vegan Turkey roll at Holiday times. Pricey, but perfect hot or cold. Not rubbery.
I am not big on the vegan meats, but I do like the Gardein Groundless Beef. The texture is perfect for adding to spaghetti sauce.

Oh, another occasional favorite is Trader Joe's vegan chorizo.

ETA: LOL, I see I said this already back in 2020.

Old 07-01-2022, 02:24 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,749 posts, read 81,656,775 times
As long as real meat is available, I won't even try fake meat. I like to eat plants just fine, but life is too short to go without Beef, Pork, and chicken, especially bacon. Will that shorten my life? Who knows, but still worth it.

Old 07-01-2022, 09:52 PM

11,180 posts, read 16,066,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
As long as real meat is available, I won't even try fake meat. I like to eat plants just fine, but life is too short to go without Beef, Pork, and chicken, especially bacon. Will that shorten my life? Who knows, but still worth it.
And you're posting this in a Vegetarian and Vegan Food forum for what purpose exactly?

Do you also go to the Diet and Weight Loss Forum and post that life is too short to diet?

Any others?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food