Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 05:57 PM

11,178 posts, read 16,046,590 times

Advertisements

An article in today's NY Times (And, yes, I know that it's behind a paywall and that some of you won't be able to read it):

As the meat industry struggles to respond to the outbreak, makers of vegan substitutes are ramping up production to meet new interest from shoppers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/22/d...ronavirus.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2020, 11:06 AM

29,530 posts, read 22,744,755 times
It was pretty funny I thought that during the initial stages of the stay at home orders and panic buying, grocery stores were stripped bare of beef but had tons of vegan meat products sitting there on the shelves.

I have a picture myself when I went to the store.

Old 05-24-2020, 04:37 PM

390 posts, read 308,566 times
The "plant based meats" can't be good for you. They're highly processed artificial crap. If one is to go vegan, it's better to eat natural fruits and vegetables, and not some highly processed food.

Old 05-25-2020, 07:26 AM

9,400 posts, read 14,347,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLessTraveled2015 View Post
The "plant based meats" can't be good for you. They're highly processed artificial crap. If one is to go vegan, it's better to eat natural fruits and vegetables, and not some highly processed food.
That's the first thing that came to my mind when I read the thread title, though after reading the post it is clear that the article cited is coming from another perspective.

From my perspective, vegetarian and vegan food is a matter of what makes me feel good and healthy now. I actually like the taste of raw vegetables and other whole foods, and dislike the taste of meat, not to mention any processed foods, and how it feels in my stomach. In that sense, I am a whole food vegetarian/vegan (with occasional exceptions) as a practical matter.

Others are vegan for, it seems, ideological reasons.

This article seems to point out that there are many people who like the taste of meat and have been looking for substitutes, which may then catch on as the crisis passes. Maybe some of those people will stumble onto whole food vegetarian/vegan diets as a practical matter and not just processed substitutes as a matter of taste or ideology.

And of course there is all of the above and everything in between.

All the best!

Last edited by bale002; 05-25-2020 at 08:10 AM..

Old 05-26-2020, 02:39 AM

1,584 posts, read 985,296 times
I eat veggie (vegan) dogs sometimes, and while getting them in the past was easy, it has been impossible to obtain them via Whole Foods delivery or Peapod for a couple months now. Vegan sausage has been hit or miss to find as well. Vegan burgers can be gotten a little more easily depending on how flexible you’re willing to be.

Old 05-27-2020, 09:31 PM

29,530 posts, read 22,744,755 times
How did I know someone was going to post the usual "plant based meats are terrible processed foods don't eat them."

I would rather eat processed plant based foods than meat full of cholesterol and other nasty hormones and chemicals in them.

I just cooked up some Impossible meat, just some salt and in the air fryer, and it was absolutely delicious. Only issue is that it is expensive compared to a similar packet of ground beef. But it is much easier to form and cook than actual beef.

Old 05-30-2020, 11:39 AM

923 posts, read 528,387 times
Why not make them yourself than buying them? It won't be "perfect" but will be cheaper and healthier than store bought. Food processor and imagination is all it takes. During times like this, make do with what you have or is available and affordable.

Old 05-30-2020, 04:52 PM

11,178 posts, read 16,046,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
I eat veggie (vegan) dogs sometimes, and while getting them in the past was easy, it has been impossible to obtain them via Whole Foods delivery or Peapod for a couple months now. Vegan sausage has been hit or miss to find as well. Vegan burgers can be gotten a little more easily depending on how flexible you’re willing to be.
Maybe where you live, but I've had absolutely no problem here in Miami getting Smart Dogs through WF delivery throughout the past two months, including coincidentally, today.

Old 06-03-2020, 05:37 PM

24,151 posts, read 32,568,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
How did I know someone was going to post the usual "plant based meats are terrible processed foods don't eat them."

I would rather eat processed plant based foods than meat full of cholesterol and other nasty hormones and chemicals in them.

I just cooked up some Impossible meat, just some salt and in the air fryer, and it was absolutely delicious. Only issue is that it is expensive compared to a similar packet of ground beef. But it is much easier to form and cook than actual beef.
So would I.

Old 06-03-2020, 05:54 PM

24,151 posts, read 32,568,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
An article in today's NY Times (And, yes, I know that it's behind a paywall and that some of you won't be able to read it):

As the meat industry struggles to respond to the outbreak, makers of vegan substitutes are ramping up production to meet new interest from shoppers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/22/d...ronavirus.html
Meat is really nasty food. I'm eating a Beyond Beef burger right now. Mmmm good.
And it's the KIND thing to do.

So many of my formerly SAD eating friends are including these delicious, wholesome foods in their diets. I think the Standard American Diet (SAD) is slowly changing.

Plant-based meals - or a plant-based option are readily available now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food