Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2020, 01:52 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,350,549 times

Advertisements

I'm making this tonight again, this time with kale...I'll report back, but I think I might already regret not putting in two bunches of kale, as the kale is shrinking up pretty fast; despite looking at the pile of pre-cooked/stripped kale and thinking: oh no...that's too much. lol (Again, I cut the recipe in half).

Edited to add tonight's dinner: The kale held up very well, but it was still soupy. I think I should have doubled the kale (2 bunches). Also, I have to say, this recipe has a lot of calories and fat: I halved the recipe, and that's still over 40g FAT! And like 585 calories. So that was dinner (again). (I used unsweetened coconut milk, but still...it's too much fat and calories)

Last edited by crusinsusan; 07-28-2020 at 03:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2020, 03:25 PM

Tonight's dinner: The kale held up very well, but it was still soupy. I think I should have doubled the kale (2 bunches).

Also, I have to say, this recipe has a lot of calories and fat: I halved the recipe, and ate half of what I made, and that's still over
40g FAT! And like 585 calories (for 1/4 of the recipe).

So that was dinner (again). (I used unsweetened coconut milk, but still...it's too much fat and calories) Unless I can find a low fat/calorie coconut milk and use just half the coconut oil...or even eliminate and use a non-stick pan...I'm not sure I would make it again. 1/4 of the recipe is very filling as a meal, but it's just over the top on fat and calories.

Old 07-28-2020, 04:00 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
Tonight's dinner: The kale held up very well, but it was still soupy. I think I should have doubled the kale (2 bunches).

Also, I have to say, this recipe has a lot of calories and fat: I halved the recipe, and ate half of what I made, and that's still over
40g FAT! And like 585 calories (for 1/4 of the recipe).

So that was dinner (again). (I used unsweetened coconut milk, but still...it's too much fat and calories) Unless I can find a low fat/calorie coconut milk and use just half the coconut oil...or even eliminate and use a non-stick pan...I'm not sure I would make it again. 1/4 of the recipe is very filling as a meal, but it's just over the top on fat and calories.
I just scanned the recipe on the site a little closer. And I can see why it I soupy! That is a lot of liquid.

That being said, when I braised my kale in coconut milk, I just used half a can. I had to use it up. I also find that the light coconut milk doesn't seem to work as nicely. It separates easily.

I think the flavor profile in that recipe is great. I think that you can also take that idea and adapt. That feels like a lot of oil, and cutting it down makes sense to me. You could also reduce the liquid by a lot, at least half if not more - I don't think you need that much liquid at all. But it could be me, I don't like soupy greens. I like them to be a bit drier - at least than those pics. And then you can replace some of the liquid with veggie broth.

I think for me, I'd land on like 3/4 of a cup of liquid - and let the kale give up it's moisture. That feels like around the right amount of liquid for a bunch of kale or chard. I'd use enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan, half an onion, maybe 3/4 of the ginger (because I love ginger) same amount go garlic, and a 1tb of black bean sauce. And whatever chiles to taste. Then cook in a covered pan for about 20-25 minutes till the greens get soft and a lot of liquid is reduced. Then serve it as a side! Would be great with a curry.

But I am not one to follow recipes anyway!

Old 07-28-2020, 10:28 PM

Well, I'm wishing I had gone with drinkable coconut milk from a carton...much less fat/calories. I also think I could have done it in a non-stick pan and avoided the coconut oil altogether. Just seems such a shame to have it be so unhealthy when it can be much healthier.

I follow recipes fairly closely if it's something I'm not familiar with, but I won't be following this one again! lol. I can cut out literally hundreds of calories and nearly all the fat by using drinkable/carton coconut milk and the non-stick pan. Yeesh. I should have looked at that more closely and thought about it...I feel like I had calories/fat stolen from me! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food