Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2020, 10:46 PM

4,493 posts, read 2,932,766 times

Advertisements

Basically, it's dark leaf greens simmered in coconut milk with spices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2020, 01:00 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,781,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Basically, it's dark leaf greens simmered in coconut milk with spices.
There is a cousin to this in most tropical places! Try to make it. Super good and flexible. Add a good amount of ginger, garlic, sliced onions and chili flakes - you are on the way....

Old 07-03-2020, 04:15 AM

1,551 posts, read 1,147,109 times
Laing?

There is a good looking recipe at http://www.astigvegan.com/?s=laing

I'm thinking other greens could substitute for the taro and it would still be mighty tasty.

Last edited by LilyMae521; 07-03-2020 at 04:35 AM..

Old 07-03-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
Laing?

There is a good looking recipe at www.astigvegan.com

I'm thinking other greens could substitute for the taro and it would still be mighty tasty.
Yes, that was it -- Laing. Thank you, Lily Mae, for the memory jog!

Last edited by NW4me; 07-03-2020 at 12:26 PM..

Old 07-03-2020, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
There is a cousin to this in most tropical places! Try to make it. Super good and flexible.
Add a good amount of ginger, garlic, sliced onions and chili flakes - you are on the way....
I used to turn up my nose at the leafy greens (although I liked broccoli, brussel sprouts, etc.).
But after trying some laing from a food truck a few years ago, I realized that it's all in how you prepare the dish.
So today I often make a stew with collard greens or chard. I also started experimenting,
and discovered that another food I wasn't wild about (black-eye peas) tasted great when incorporated into chili.
So that meal from the food truck wasn't only a meal, but a learning experience.

Old 07-03-2020, 03:29 PM

30,557 posts, read 18,055,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
Laing?

There is a good looking recipe at You searched for laing - ASTIG Vegan

Good to know the actual name of the dish! I always just said give me some of the "taro leaves" when ordering from a Filipino restaurant in Hawaii But that dish is SO good.

Old 07-03-2020, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
I used to turn up my nose at the leafy greens (although I liked broccoli, brussel sprouts, etc.).
But after trying some laing from a food truck a few years ago, I realized that it's all in how you prepare the dish.
So today I often make a stew with collard greens or chard. I also started experimenting,
and discovered that another food I wasn't wild about (black-eye peas) tasted great when incorporated into chili.
So that meal from the food truck wasn't only a meal, but a learning experience.

Nice! Similar for me. I used to hate beans. And eventually I realized I like them when paired with some sort of acid! Salsa, vinegar, citrus, salad dressing. And of course a tomato based chili works too. Now I make them often!

This week I did some kale with coconut milk, ginger, garlic, onion, chiles, and miso!

Old 07-13-2020, 01:30 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,341,149 times
Well, I've ordered the ingredients and I'm going to give it a whirl in the next few days...but with spinach. And I'll have a knot of ginger (which I never buy) that will be rolling around in my crisper months, I'm sure. (Not a fan, but didn't want to mess with the recipe more than substituting spinach for taro leaves) I even got the black bean garlic sauce from Amazon delivered today. I don't even know what it is, but I read enough to be sparing with it.

Old 07-14-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
Well, I've ordered the ingredients and I'm going to give it a whirl in the next few days...but with spinach. And I'll have a knot of ginger (which I never buy) that will be rolling around in my crisper months, I'm sure. (Not a fan, but didn't want to mess with the recipe more than substituting spinach for taro leaves) I even got the black bean garlic sauce from Amazon delivered today. I don't even know what it is, but I read enough to be sparing with it.
Since this is a long cooked/slow dish, you probably want a heftier green. Mustard, collards, or kale would work. Spinach has such a weird texture when cooked for a while.

Old 07-15-2020, 09:49 AM

9,479 posts, read 12,255,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Since this is a long cooked/slow dish, you probably want a heftier green. Mustard, collards, or kale would work. Spinach has such a weird texture when cooked for a while.
You would want to add the spinach in the last few minutes of cooking so it doesn't get weird I add spinach to stuff often as I don't enjoy eating it raw. I add it last so it has time to just start to wilt and it's fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food