Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-27-2020, 10:33 AM
 
2,867 posts, read 1,549,529 times
Reputation: 8652

Advertisements

What poor service!

Some ignorant and insecure men (and women) seem to not only equate eating animals as masculine, but feel threatened by those who think otherwise. It is part of toxic masculinity to believe it is necessary to feed on the cruel and horrific death of another living creature in order to be "manly." Pay these people no mind. As time goes on, more and more people are coming to realize that not only is eschewing meat healthy, compassion is sexy. When we have power and the ability to exercise that power to suit our own wants but choose not to because we seek the greater good, that is strength.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Brad Pitt, Woody Harrelson, Chris Martin, Mac Danzig, Steve-O, Anthony Kiedis, Bruce Springsteen, Hershel Walker, Samuel L. Jackson, Paul McCartney, Tom Cruise, Billy Idol, Bryan Adams, Ringo, Leonard Nimoy, Alec Baldwin, Jim Carrey, Bill Goldberg and Willem Dafoe, among others, would disagree with that characterization.
And my favorite, Joaquin Phoenix.

 
Old 11-27-2020, 01:44 PM
 
1,584 posts, read 987,867 times
Reputation: 2610
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenI69 View Post
I’m male, in my 30’s, and I believe in doing my part to protect the environment. And I have been vegetarian for a long time.
However, when I talk about the fact that I’m vegetarian, I always get teased by the server (in a somewhat mean way), or told by other guys sitting next to me I’m a disgrace among men...
Like, why is doing my part to help reduce my carbon footprint seen as “unmanly”. I just don’t get it. Doesn’t part of being “manly” involve respecting the environment around you ?
Question. Why would you patronize a restaurant that treats you with disrespect? Anyplace that did that to me wouldn’t see me ever again. Period.

I say vote with your feet.
 
Old 11-28-2020, 07:25 AM
 
Location: NYC
20,549 posts, read 17,804,443 times
Reputation: 25616
Because a man must have a complete protein diet to stay in good shape. You can't get that easily with a plant based diet. There are no weight lifters on plant only diet. It’s not seen as masculine thing. I eat plants every day, it’s important source of minerals.
 
Old 11-28-2020, 07:41 AM
 
Location: Lake Huron Shores
2,227 posts, read 1,417,414 times
Reputation: 1758
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
Question. Why would you patronize a restaurant that treats you with disrespect? Anyplace that did that to me wouldn’t see me ever again. Period.

I say vote with your feet.
I don’t go there anymore. Also, it’s rather far. I only stopped during a road trip because a friend told me it had very tasty food and vegetarian was available if you asked for it. Maybe they didn’t stock it on that day, who knows...
 
Old 11-28-2020, 08:07 AM
 
1,107 posts, read 557,226 times
Reputation: 2738
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Because a man must have a complete protein diet to stay in good shape. You can't get that easily with a plant based diet. There are no weight lifters on plant only diet. It’s not seen as masculine thing. I eat plants every day, it’s important source of minerals.
You're wrong. What about Patrik Baboumian, Germany's "strongest man"? Vegan. Ever heard of Ultimate Fighting champion Nate Diaz? Vegan. There are many examples of successful vegan athletes. Do your research before you make such uninformed statements.
 
Old 11-28-2020, 09:10 AM
 
1,584 posts, read 987,867 times
Reputation: 2610
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Because a man must have a complete protein diet to stay in good shape. You can't get that easily with a plant based diet. There are no weight lifters on plant only diet. It’s not seen as masculine thing. I eat plants every day, it’s important source of minerals.
You can get plant-based complete proteins easily. Examples include:

-hummus on a whole wheat pita.

-beans and brown rice.

-a peanut butter sandwich on whole wheat bread.

And as has been pointed out, there are several vegan athletes, including weightlifters and football players.

The idea that it’s not “manly” to eat vegan is so much image-making baloney.
 
Old 11-28-2020, 12:19 PM
 
24,781 posts, read 11,170,008 times
Reputation: 47369
My take - OP did not get the royal treatment and had nothing to do but stew on it. His snarky remarks "she was young (probably late teens) and this was small town Appalachia, she probably never saw a vegetarian man or was raised by family to view them as beta male" are past rude. The old rule of "how you call in" applies.
 
Old 11-28-2020, 12:44 PM
 
Location: Østenfor sol og vestenfor måne
17,916 posts, read 24,440,024 times
Reputation: 39038
I think that all other arguments aside, the notion that diet is somehow gender or sex dependant or relevant is a sign of utter ignorance and/or pettiness.

I am an omnivore, but if someone casually expressed the opinion that vegetarianism/veganism is somehow more or less appropriate for one sex or another, I would probably very uncouthly call that person an idiot.
 
Old 11-28-2020, 07:40 PM
 
Location: Lake Huron Shores
2,227 posts, read 1,417,414 times
Reputation: 1758
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
You can get plant-based complete proteins easily. Examples include:

-hummus on a whole wheat pita.

-beans and brown rice.

-a peanut butter sandwich on whole wheat bread.

And as has been pointed out, there are several vegan athletes, including weightlifters and football players.

The idea that it’s not “manly” to eat vegan is so much image-making baloney.
I agree, you can get protein on leaner carbs too, like low carb noodles on Tofu stir fry .
 
Old 11-29-2020, 04:09 PM
 
118 posts, read 78,579 times
Reputation: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

Restaurants do not want to be sued. They do not want anyone going into anaphylactic shock in their So restaurant. So rather than use those loaded words I just say "I am allergic to chicken (or whatever it might be) could you ask the cook if there is any chicken broth in the rice?"



Restaurants hate this, people with real allergies hate this, but you do you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top