Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2021, 08:59 AM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
I really like a mixture of chopped up mushrooms and spinach in lasagna! You need to cook them up first to get the water out or it will end up soggy.
I agree. Mushroom and spinach lasagne is delicious.

Old 05-21-2021, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
I usually add spinach anyway, extra veggies. But i have heard mushrooms are a good meat replacement
I use them a lot, different types, to give some substance to a dish.

Old 05-21-2021, 09:35 AM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times
Spinach, mushroom, garlic pizza (Digorno has a decent one). Margherita Pizza. Spinach Lasagna. Bean soup or chili. Egg as and rice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2021, 10:22 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,246,669 times
I dont really eat pizza and when I do its with mushrooms only.

Old 05-22-2021, 08:25 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,058,713 times
I love spaghetti squash tossed with cannellini beans and pesto, you could add shrimp or turkey sausage for the others. It works great with zoodles too

Old 05-27-2021, 03:18 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
Last night we had turkey burgers on the grill but I had a Morningstar Farms Griller instead. Lower calorie and it was really good. I want to start integrating more vegetarian meals into our regular diet to reduce consumption and possibly go vegetarian eventually.

I dislike the idea of eating anything plant based masquerading as meat though. A veggie burger is appealing to me but a "fake meat" burger is not and they tend to be higher in calories.

I bought some extra firm tofu which I am going to use to make Tikka Masala this week in place of my regular chicken. Any ideas on preparation for this dish? Any other recipe suggestions you like? I dont like chickpeas but I like falafel. I dont want to replace meat with pretend meat, I want to find new recipes that are plant based.
I hate to tell you this, but Morningstar Farms Grillers "veggie" burger is basically junk food, not to mention false advertising. It's main ingredients are water, wheat gluten, and soy flour. In fact, here's the entire ingredient list: Water, wheat gluten, soy flour, vegetable oil (corn, canola and/or sunflower oil), egg whites, calcium caseinate, cornstarch.Contains 2% or less of onion powder, soy sauce powder (soy sauce [soybeans, salt, wheat]), methylcellulose, cooked onion and carrot juice concentrate, salt, natural flavor, soy protein isolate, garlic powder, spices, sugar, gum acacia, whey, yeast extract, xanthan gum, potato starch, tomato paste (tomatoes), onion juice concentrate.

Not really much there in the way of veggies is there?

Now compare that to the full ingredients list for Dr. Praeger's brand California Veggie Burgers: Carrots, Onions, String Beans, Oat Bran, Soybeans, Zucchini, Expeller Pressed Canola Oil, Peas, Broccoli, Corn, Soy Flour, Spinach, Red Peppers, Arrowroot Powder, Corn Starch, Garlic, Corn Meal, Sea Salt, Spices.

Now that's a real veggie burger with a capital V!

Another good veggie burger is Amy's Organic California Veggie Burger. Here's its list of ingredients: organic mushrooms, organic bulgur wheat, organic onions, organic celery, organic carrots, organic oats, organic walnuts, organic wheat gluten, organic potatoes, sea salt, organic high oleic safflower and/or sunflower oil, organic garlic.

And they both taste better than Grillers (at least to me).

https://www.amys.com/our-foods/organ...-veggie-burger
https://drpraegers.com/our-food/cali...eggie-burgers/

Old 05-28-2021, 02:54 PM

6,455 posts, read 3,977,052 times
There are many recipes out there that don't use meat. Most of them do not purposely omit meat... they are simply recipes that do not feature meat, just like there are recipes that don't feature broccoli, or olive oil, or pasta.

Any recipe can be "meat-eater friendly" if the meat eater in question doesn't think of them as "vegetarian" and hence "something I cannot/should not eat." It's just food. Some food has meat in it, some doesn't. I think somehow in Western society we have gotten the idea that a meal/recipe must include meat, and not eating meat with every meal is unhealthy. It's not.

There are many places you can omit meat and likely not miss it. Don't add it to your green beans or your salad. Use marinara or alfredo sauce instead of meat sauce on your pasta. Put something else on your pizza instead.

Explore cuisines from other cultures. South Asian and Middle-Eastern food can be very vegetarian-friendly, as can some east Asian food (but beware with Asian food if eating out: just because it says it has tofu doesn't mean it doesn't have other meat or animal products. In Asia, tofu is simply a food, not consideredly solely a "vegetarian food," so it is used like any other ingredient and you may find a dish with tofu *and* pork, for example). Western food tends to be more meat-centric, so you'll likely have more luck looking to the foods of other regions.

Old 05-30-2021, 08:41 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
There are many recipes out there that don't use meat. Most of them do not purposely omit meat... they are simply recipes that do not feature meat, just like there are recipes that don't feature broccoli, or olive oil, or pasta.

Any recipe can be "meat-eater friendly" if the meat eater in question doesn't think of them as "vegetarian" and hence "something I cannot/should not eat." It's just food. Some food has meat in it, some doesn't. I think somehow in Western society we have gotten the idea that a meal/recipe must include meat, and not eating meat with every meal is unhealthy. It's not.

There are many places you can omit meat and likely not miss it. Don't add it to your green beans or your salad. Use marinara or alfredo sauce instead of meat sauce on your pasta. Put something else on your pizza instead.

Explore cuisines from other cultures. South Asian and Middle-Eastern food can be very vegetarian-friendly, as can some east Asian food (but beware with Asian food if eating out: just because it says it has tofu doesn't mean it doesn't have other meat or animal products. In Asia, tofu is simply a food, not consideredly solely a "vegetarian food," so it is used like any other ingredient and you may find a dish with tofu *and* pork, for example). Western food tends to be more meat-centric, so you'll likely have more luck looking to the foods of other regions.
I’m not really sure what “meat eater friendly” means. I am not vegetarian, but I eat meals that are vegetarian or vegan from time to time. I like food like falafel, hummus, etc. I might make a pasta dish with a vegetarian tortellini or ravioli and put on that vegan kale pesto from Trader Joe’s with some added veggies thrown in.

Old 05-30-2021, 09:11 PM

2,219 posts, read 1,326,475 times
Quote:
Me and my family are on a weight loss journey. I have lost 56 lbs, my husband has lost 45 lbs, my son lost 30 and my youngest son (aged 6) isnt trying to lose just not gain until his height catches up a little more.

I grew up in the south and I am a meat eater, always have been. As of late though I have been reconsidering my meat consumption. 90% for health reason not ethical but if its good for me and helps the environment I feel good about that.

Last night we had turkey burgers on the grill but I had a Morningstar Farms Griller instead. Lower calorie and it was really good. I want to start integrating more vegetarian meals into our regular diet to reduce consumption and possibly go vegetarian eventually.

I dislike the idea of eating anything plant based masquerading as meat though. A veggie burger is appealing to me but a "fake meat" burger is not and they tend to be higher in calories.

I bought some extra firm tofu which I am going to use to make Tikka Masala this week in place of my regular chicken. Any ideas on preparation for this dish? Any other recipe suggestions you like? I dont like chickpeas but I like falafel. I dont want to replace meat with pretend meat, I want to find new recipes that are plant based.
You may want to use tofu that has been deep-freezed and thawed.
By freezing and then defrosting tofu, it changes to a coarser chewy texture and it will absorb the curry sauce better.

See the difference in texture of tofu.
left (before freezing), right (after defrosting)
https://garlicdelight.com/wp-content...3-1024x768.jpg
top (before freezing), below (after defrosting)
https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/c...AED7FE3955.JPG

Old 05-31-2021, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I’m not really sure what “meat eater friendly” means. I am not vegetarian, but I eat meals that are vegetarian or vegan from time to time. I like food like falafel, hummus, etc. I might make a pasta dish with a vegetarian tortellini or ravioli and put on that vegan kale pesto from Trader Joe’s with some added veggies thrown in.
I think he probably means "filling". When I went vegetarian, that was an adjustment. Meat holds you longer. You have to get used to the idea that you are going to feel hungry sooner after a meal, especially on a mostly-plant-based diet. It's why, in my opinion, newer vegetarians end up eating too many french fries and/or cheese. I had high cholesterol for the first time in my life when I became vegetarian.

People who haven't yet developed a repertoire of vegetarian meals might be thinking of lettuce and raw veggies. Salad's great, but it's not going to assuage hunger for long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food