Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2021, 08:17 PM

6,519 posts, read 4,062,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I’m not really sure what “meat eater friendly” means. I am not vegetarian, but I eat meals that are vegetarian or vegan from time to time. I like food like falafel, hummus, etc. I might make a pasta dish with a vegetarian tortellini or ravioli and put on that vegan kale pesto from Trader Joe’s with some added veggies thrown in.
I'm not sure, either, but in my experience, certain things seem to scare meat-eaters away.

1. Labeling something as "vegetarian." They assume this means "meat eaters stay away." Whereas if you simply showed them the food without specifically calling it "veg{etari}an" or pointing out that meat was purposely left out, they're more likely to see it as... just food, rather than special-food-without-meat. Sometimes they might not even notice the lack of meat.

2. Anything to do with tofu (probably also seitan or tempeh). Especially since everyone gets this idea that tofu is bland and tasteless (whether they themselves have ever eaten it or not). Even if it is? So what? There are plenty of times when meat is pretty bland and tasteless. Ever had something with chicken on it and the chicken just doesn't taste like anything, is maybe dry and boring? But that doesn't put people off eating chicken, does it?

3. Sometimes, as I mentioned, great vegetarian food can come from other cultures. So straightaway some Westerners will see it as "weird" and not something they want to eat. (I've learned the hard way at potlucks, where I bring something I think other people will find different and interesting. Nope. If it's not the same old stuff they're used to, they think it's "weird" and I end up taking most of it back home again.)

"Meat eater friendly" probably means either that it resembles meat (veggie burgers, etc.), or as I also advised, simply leaving meat out of something that really doesn't need it in the first place. (Honestly, in many cases I'm guessing lard/bacon fat flavoring could be left out of things and people wouldn't know the difference if they weren't told that it wasn't used...)

(Point #1 footnote: except, of course, those times when they really should, lol. Ever been at a buffet or potluck where all the meat-eaters go through the line and take the cheese pizza and pasta salad, and by the time you get through the line, all that's left are chicken wings and meatballs? Yeah. So clearly there are no-meat foods that meat-eaters love to eat! {Yes, I've been at potlucks before where it's not my table's turn yet, but everyone else says, "go up there now before all the food you can eat is gone!" And if we order pizza at work? I always order more cheese pizzas than you might guess, because they go fast.})
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2021, 01:32 PM

131,444 posts, read 12,303,706 times
Baked potatoes topped with coleslaw & baked beans.

Old 06-08-2021, 01:13 PM

7,159 posts, read 12,740,254 times
We really like black bean burritos (mash some, leave some whole) with piles of veggies such as sauteed mushrooms, yellow zukes, jalapeno or bell peppers, garlic, spinach--and topped with guacamole and red or green salsa.

Old 06-09-2021, 12:11 PM

29,545 posts, read 22,872,402 times
I like to use Butler soy curls, the texture is very reminiscent of stringy chicken meat. By itself, kind of tastes blah, but the great thing is it absorbs whatever flavorings you put on it (best to marinate it beforehand).

The 'chicken' seasoning that comes with this particular package I order is also great.

https://www.amazon.com/Butler-Soy-Cu...XGBKWC1YQCZBGW

Old 06-23-2021, 02:21 AM

30 posts, read 18,557 times
You can take help from this Paneer tikka masala recipe.

Indian vegetarian recipes, like biryani, pulao, palak paneer, naan, kofta etc.

Old 06-29-2021, 11:42 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,434,590 times
Don't try to make something into meat, just eat stuff that isn't meat.

If I take some black-eyed peas, boil them, and season with salt and pepper, is that "vegetarian" or is it just a "vegetable"?

I eat many meals that don't contain any meat. They aren't "vegetarian meals", they're just meals that don't have any meat.

Don't make things harder for yourself by getting all balled up in terminology.

Old 07-01-2021, 09:05 PM

6,519 posts, read 4,062,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Don't try to make something into meat, just eat stuff that isn't meat.

If I take some black-eyed peas, boil them, and season with salt and pepper, is that "vegetarian" or is it just a "vegetable"?

I eat many meals that don't contain any meat. They aren't "vegetarian meals", they're just meals that don't have any meat.

Don't make things harder for yourself by getting all balled up in terminology.
Yes, exactly! Without the "special" label, people will simply see it as food.

Old 07-17-2021, 03:27 AM

22 posts, read 11,920 times
What I liked the most from your post is that you want to reduce your meat consumption and go for vegan diet to help yourself loose weight. Indeed, plant based or vegan diet is the best fit for you if you want to loose pounds. You mentioned "Tikka Masala" which is basically an Indian recipe and is best made with Paneer and not with Tofu. Also it is very spicy if you make it in original Indian way. So I suggest you do not use more spices in it.

How about consuming more salad in your diet - in breakfast and in evening meal? You can search healthy salad making recipes on internet and by mixing various vegetables and beans and olive oil, etc. you can make healthy salad for your family.

Old 07-22-2021, 04:09 PM

14,761 posts, read 14,750,552 times
I found most non-vegetarians like the ground-round (vegetarian ground beef substitute) cooked into spaghetti sauce or chili, probably they're small and easily absorbed into whatever sauce you cook them into. Yves, Lightlife and Gardein all make good version of it.

Old 07-24-2021, 04:54 PM

24,163 posts, read 32,692,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I found most non-vegetarians like the ground-round (vegetarian ground beef substitute) cooked into spaghetti sauce or chili, probably they're small and easily absorbed into whatever sauce you cook them into. Yves, Lightlife and Gardein all make good version of it.
I agree, but some are vehemently opposed to fake meats. I eat fake meats (meat analogs) sparingly - pretty much LESS than red meat is supposed to be eaten. So, at the VERY MOST three times a week. My husband's cardiologist approves.

The best to me is Impossible Burger. Fantastic on the grill. It also makes a "Very Veggie Retro Meatloaf" that is fantastic with mashed potatoes and a green vegetable. Serve with a seasonal fruit crisp. Peach and berry are great now,

Lentils, mixed with minced mushrooms, finely chopped mushrooms, caramelized onions, and chopped spinach, and wild and brown rice, or white corn are a great combo when it comes to stuffing peppers, squash, or any stuffable vegetable. Depending upon your desire, this can be used to make Hungarian Stuffed Peppers, or stuffed squash with a Thanksgiving-ish taste - let your imagination be your guide.

I have many recipes that I usually reserve for holidays that involve meat analogs.

There is actually a company that unapologetically calls itself Fake Meats, and the products are MUCH healthier than they once were.

[url]https://www.fakemeats.com/

Last edited by sheena12; 07-24-2021 at 05:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food