Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2021, 03:08 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,729,146 times

Advertisements

Review:

Ronzoni Turmeric Pasta

They sell this in a 16oz sized big box like the rest of their spaghetti
for about $3.50 in NYC
yet they kind of scam you, it's only 10 oz if you are not careful to look at the package
That comes to over $5 a pound, insane

They probably only use a small amount of turmeric, the stuff is pretty strong in flavor and color.

I like turmeric in curry or a tofu scramble but it's not that great tasting by itself in my opinion.
In a curry cinnamon is added to sweeten it's bitter-ish flavor, mustardy flavor
The cinnamon is used at a quantity so you don't notice in with the curry but the amount is not actually that small. It's just competing with serval other spice, like the strongly flavored cumin.

Anyway if you are familiar with the taste of turmeric this pasta tastes as expected
I would call it o.k but not a taste sensation. It's good for an occasional novelty.

For health? Consider that turmeric varies in quality, some sources have some lead in them

Ronzoni Gluten free Cauliflower, spaghetti

ing:
white rice
cauliflower
fava bean flour
mono and diglycerides

According to an evaluation by the World Health Organization (WHO), mono- and diglycerides make up approximately 1 percent of the glycerides you consume. They occur naturally in certain oils and are also found in processed foods.
Mono- and diglycerides help oil and water to blend. Because of this, they can be used to improve the texture or consistency of foods. Mono- and diglycerides contain small amounts of trans fat. They’re classified as emulsifiers and not lipids, so the FDA ban doesn’t apply to them.
According to the FDA, mono- and diglycerides are generally recognized as safe. They can be used in food without limitation, provided the manufacturing process is satisfactory.
The Center for Science in the Public Interest also describes them as safe, while a WHO report indicates that there are no harmful effects associated with their consumption.

https://www.healthline.com/health/fo...des#definition

The mono and diglycerides don't worry me here.

The taste is pretty good. Not as starchy as regular pasta.
It has some fava beans but you wouldn't notice.
The cauliflower taste is there mildly.

Similarly 10 oz for about $3.50 aka over $5 a pound, ridiculous
the first ingredient is actually rice

Worth it to try once in my opinion

Red Lentil Pasta, various brands

There are various brands of this. I like red lentils. Red lentils are highest in protein next to soy
They can cook from the dry in about 15-20 minutes.
Put in a lot of fresh onions, garlic, salt, red pepper and near the end put in salt and some plain tomato sauce or some chopped tomatoes, salt (only at the end to taste- a lot)

But unfortunately the pasta which is typically 100% red lentil doesn't taste that great in my opinion.
What I do is mix it 50/50 with white pasta. It could be passable at that point or maybe 1/3

It's another price gimmick. Costs over $5 for 12 oz
a 16oz package of red lentils is $2 or less

At the health food store are some more exotic items, black soy spaghetti for instance.
That was interesting, kind of good but again much to high priced to be a staple for me

For years I trained myself to like whole wheat pasta but know I find it a bit harder to digest and I eat a lot of beans and vegetables anyway. So I get the white pasta. I like the De Cecco brand, imported form Italy but I get 2 boxes for $5
They also have one called "7 grains" and it has 20g protein
mainly wheat and pea flour
Some of this pea protein in a lot of product is yellow pea but I'm not sure.
Anyway it's pretty good

Then there is
Barilla Protein +
wheat, lentils, pea protein, some other grains

Less starchy tasting than regular pasta, protein 10g
Tastes o.k. but just o.k.
The protein amount seems to be similar to the De Cecco 7 grain but it is just a difference on serving size

I bought a hand press pasta maker. The price was low. I forget, under $25
It's a steel cylinder with a handle on the side and it has a screw in plunger type cap which you turn over hot water and the pasta fall right in. At the top you have to twist a handle to gradually bring the plunger down and dough is forced through changeable holes at the bottom
It works pretty well. You can use like 3/4 flour and then mix with a vegetable puree of anything, add herbs etc. If you have a freeze dried vegetable and turn it into a power only a small amount of it will color a pasta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food