Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2022, 07:19 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,168,523 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to understand why this is even in the veggie forum?

Old 01-04-2022, 07:35 PM

3,322 posts, read 1,798,826 times
Get that man some potato's ! Hash brown's or home fries, white or sweet those potato's will round out the breakfast and keep him going until after lunch.

Old 01-05-2022, 01:50 PM

10,956 posts, read 7,499,586 times
Current science says eggs are healthier than sausage. For quick eats, one of you could prepare a frittata or quiche or strata with eggs, veggies, mushrooms, cheese, and bread or crust or potatoes.
Cook in muffin tins for individual servings, or make a big one and cut up.
Nice at room temperature or warmed up.

Old 01-06-2022, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
I'm trying to understand why this is even in the veggie forum?
Sounds like she's looking for veggie options.

Old 01-11-2022, 12:25 PM

4,781 posts, read 3,082,320 times
Default oats!

If a big 'ol horse can do its work, powered by oats, they should make good fuel for a human too.

Old 01-11-2022, 03:10 PM

374 posts, read 381,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
If a big 'ol horse can do its work, powered by oats, they should make good fuel for a human too.
I know you are trying to make a joke, but I own horses, and you are laboring under two misconceptions. One, that horses are 'powered' by oats -- they are actually powered by hay or grass, with grains being a supplement only. Second, that humans, who digest their food entirely differently, can exist on grains without fats and protein. Nope. There are a million theories about the right way to eat, but anyone who does hard physical labor or strenuous sports like hiking, running, bicycling, can tell you that what gives you the strength to go on are fats and protein. A bowl of oatmeal and fruit is great for computer jockeys.

This morning my husband had leftover chili (beans, hamburger) and rice for breakfast and came in out of the 2 degree weather to drink another cup of coffee and eat two peanut butter cookies before going out again.

Right now he is building a barn on our property.

Not vegetarian but it got him over the hump.

A cheesy quiche with potatoes for tomorrow ....

Old 01-11-2022, 05:08 PM

102,310 posts, read 108,488,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sombrueil View Post
The tofu scramble is an excellent idea, thanks.

He tried a cracked grain cereal breakfast and felt faint by 11:30 a.m. That is not going to work, at least by itself. Frankly, though I'm a less active person, my regular muesli, yogurt, and fruit breakfast also leaves me needing some kind of snack at minimum by the same time. Granted, I eat before barn chores at dawn, but still, people tend to really underestimate how many calories it takes to get through a physically active morning. My husband is very lean.
One answer to your question may be right here in this post. The Irish steel cut oats for oatmeal are really good (great texture & flavor!). Carbs are filling, but they don't last; he's right, that he needs protein for its lasting power.

So how about giving him a side of Greek yogurt (read the containers on the different brands, and get one with the highest protein content. Ciobani is one such brand), with berries? A cup of yogurt with fruit, and a good solid oatmeal concoction with milk should last him. For sweetener, instead of sugar, you can put chopped bananas or raisins in the oatmeal (let them cook up with the oatmeal).

Variety is the spice of life. It's also healthier to rotate your foods, not eating the same thing every day. So the oatmeal & yogurt combo could be 1 day a week.

You can do what's called "cowboy stew" for breakfast: scrambling chopped up and lightly fried ground beef with eggs and fried potatoes all together. That sounds like more effort than he'd want to make for himself, though.

Old 01-12-2022, 08:39 AM

2,916 posts, read 3,015,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sombrueil View Post
My husband eats eggs, sausage, and toast every morning. He says that if he doesn't eat something very protein and calorie rich in the morning, he runs out of fuel before lunch. He works, physically, very hard. He is unimaginative when it comes to food but he'll eat anything you put in front of him. I'm looking for ideas of equivalent breakfasts that are healthier than pounds of sausage and more than a dozen eggs a week. Some eggs and cheese are fine but in moderation.

Looking for ideas online hasn't been so useful as a lot of sites believe pancakes or muffins are a hearty breakfast. They really aren't. Also I'm not going to cook his breakfast every morning. Something he can make himself quickly and easily, or reheat a serving of, is needed.

Oatmeal, a dash of peanut butter, a little honey and a banana. Protein + carbs....lots of energy and definitely healthier than eggs and sausage. Oatmeal will burn off at a nice rate so you don't feel overly loaded down but he won't be starving before lunch either.

Sausage/chorizo and eggs before physical activity would make me feel sluggish. I eat that stuff on a lazy Saturday but never before any kind of physical activity.

Old 01-12-2022, 06:28 PM

I love soy chorizo. First discovered it at Trader Joe's, then found it at Walmart. Delicious!

Old 01-12-2022, 06:53 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,455,618 times
Could he try fish, like tuna (albacore in particular), salmon, herring, sardines, even shellfish, like shrimp?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food