Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2021, 01:02 PM

374 posts, read 378,381 times

Advertisements

My husband eats eggs, sausage, and toast every morning. He says that if he doesn't eat something very protein and calorie rich in the morning, he runs out of fuel before lunch. He works, physically, very hard. He is unimaginative when it comes to food but he'll eat anything you put in front of him. I'm looking for ideas of equivalent breakfasts that are healthier than pounds of sausage and more than a dozen eggs a week. Some eggs and cheese are fine but in moderation.

Looking for ideas online hasn't been so useful as a lot of sites believe pancakes or muffins are a hearty breakfast. They really aren't. Also I'm not going to cook his breakfast every morning. Something he can make himself quickly and easily, or reheat a serving of, is needed.

Old 12-28-2021, 01:25 PM

8,420 posts, read 7,425,009 times
Boiled steel cut oats for fiber and for complex carbohydrates. If he's working hard, he's burning carbs, not protein; the protein is for building and maintaining muscle. Don't go with rolled or prepackaged instant oats, as they don't have the nutritional benefits of steel cut oats. The brand of oats I eat is Bob's Red Barn. After the oatmeal is cooked, add in a handful of nuts, a handful of blueberries, mix it up, and then top it with a generous sprinkling of cinnamon. Nuts add protein to the meal. I prefer walnuts, but other types can be used. Blueberries add antioxidants, fiber, and vitamins. If you can't get fresh, you can get prepackaged dehydrated blueberries or you can thaw out some frozen blueberries. Cinnamon adds to the flavor and supposedly has many health benefits (not all benefits are proven). Brew a cup of green tea, or at least a cup of black coffee to go with the oatmeal. This breakfast takes about 10 or 15 minutes to prepare.

If that takes too long, have him stop by McDonalds for an Egg McMuffin (or two) and a coffee. Aside from the muffin, which could be bumped up to whole grain, it's a fairly decent and healthy breakfast. I make my own ersatz McMuffin at home, but oatmeal keeps me more satisfied during the morning.

Old 12-28-2021, 05:51 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,587,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sombrueil View Post
My husband eats eggs, sausage, and toast every morning. He says that if he doesn't eat something very protein and calorie rich in the morning, he runs out of fuel before lunch. He works, physically, very hard. He is unimaginative when it comes to food but he'll eat anything you put in front of him. I'm looking for ideas of equivalent breakfasts that are healthier than pounds of sausage and more than a dozen eggs a week. Some eggs and cheese are fine but in moderation.

Looking for ideas online hasn't been so useful as a lot of sites believe pancakes or muffins are a hearty breakfast. They really aren't. Also I'm not going to cook his breakfast every morning. Something he can make himself quickly and easily, or reheat a serving of, is needed.

Ita he needs healthier options than processed meat & eggs every day. What about overnight oats with plant based milk? It can be adjusted for needed calorie requirements AND for more protein by what you add & how much. It’s also super easy to make 5 minutes the night before, then grab & go. So I’ll make one for me & one for my husband but his normal caloric requirement is higher than mine ofc so I’ll add a little more peanut butter or other nut butters to his or more ground flaxseed & a little larger serving of oats. Nonfat yogurt is another option to mix in for extra protein & chia seeds. Add a little Ceylon cinnamon, cacao, mashed banana, or top with granola or blueberries. The possibilities are endless….so he won’t feel like he is eating the same thing every day AND it will be a million times healthier.

edit: On a lazy Sunday morning when it’s cold or rainy, my husband will make us breakfast…blueberry pancakes or eggs & bacon. It’s not like it hurts now & then but every day^^ is super unhealthy.

Old 12-30-2021, 10:34 PM

88,624 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Since you put this in the vegetarian forum, would your husband be open to a tofu scramble? There are many recipes on the Internet.

This one looks good, but I just do not like kale, so I would substitute spinach.

(Yes, I am aware of the benefits of kale, and there are very few greens I don't like, but kale is the main one..)

https://minimalistbaker.com/southwest-tofu-scramble/

Old 12-31-2021, 04:04 AM

The tofu scramble is an excellent idea, thanks.

He tried a cracked grain cereal breakfast and felt faint by 11:30 a.m. That is not going to work, at least by itself. Frankly, though I'm a less active person, my regular muesli, yogurt, and fruit breakfast also leaves me needing some kind of snack at minimum by the same time. Granted, I eat before barn chores at dawn, but still, people tend to really underestimate how many calories it takes to get through a physically active morning. My husband is very lean.

My dairy farmer grandpa sat down to an eggs sausage fried potatoes breakfast every day (after milking fifty cows), followed by pie and coffee ... he also died of a heart attack at 67 though.

My husband tried out a peanut butter/tofu/miso scramble on toast one time this week (I'd need to be starving to eat anything like that for breakfast!) which worked a lot better than cereal. A lot of fat and protein in that one. We're working on it ...

Old 01-02-2022, 02:31 PM

24,604 posts, read 10,921,225 times
Try burritos - ham/egg/cheese. Left over meat/vegetables with scrambled egg/cheese.

Old 01-02-2022, 02:42 PM

640 posts, read 451,012 times
Well, what are his cholesterol readings? If they are fine, let him eat what he does! He is absolutely right about burning through a carb-laden breakfast in a couple of hours. The government has done us all a great disservice by pushing its "scientific" food pyramid, which has been instrumental to the obesity epidemic in this country.

If the meats are undesirable for some reason, he can add protein by eating a cheese sandwich plus a protein drink (he needs to drink extra water with that). Walmart sells some for $16.88 a tub.

Old 01-02-2022, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Try burritos - ham/egg/cheese. Left over meat/vegetables with scrambled egg/cheese.
That's really similar to what he's eating now.

Old 01-02-2022, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strannik33 View Post
Well, what are his cholesterol readings? If they are fine, let him eat what he does! He is absolutely right about burning through a carb-laden breakfast in a couple of hours. The government has done us all a great disservice by pushing its "scientific" food pyramid, which has been instrumental to the obesity epidemic in this country.

If the meats are undesirable for some reason, he can add protein by eating a cheese sandwich plus a protein drink (he needs to drink extra water with that). Walmart sells some for $16.88 a tub.
His doctor told him that he wished his own numbers were that good. But I still worry.

Old 01-04-2022, 12:09 PM

19,446 posts, read 27,860,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sombrueil View Post
His doctor told him that he wished his own numbers were that good. But I still worry.
If the doctor isn't concerned, I'm not understanding why you are worried. I mean, I'd be more worried about him getting dizzy at work. Or unhappy because he misses the bacon, eggs and sausage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food