Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2022, 09:09 PM

4,597 posts, read 2,988,358 times

Advertisements

something that would pair well with potato salad...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2022, 12:44 AM

1,262 posts, read 664,481 times
Give this a go. We have made this a few times and it is always well received. The black salt is a must though.
https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com...ndwich/#recipe

Old 05-26-2022, 10:44 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
Macaroni salad? The creamy kind. (I was originally going to suggest potato salad, so...)

Old 05-27-2022, 04:00 AM

19,696 posts, read 20,221,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellacatahoula View Post
Give this a go. We have made this a few times and it is always well received. The black salt is a must though.
https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com...ndwich/#recipe

You could substitute chickpeas instead of tofu, if you rather avoid soy products.

Best Chickpea 'Egg' Salad Sandwich
https://simple-veganista.com/mashed-...salad-sandwic/

Old 05-29-2022, 08:50 PM

4,597 posts, read 2,988,358 times
Thanks, all three!

Old 05-29-2022, 08:55 PM

63 posts, read 24,829 times
I've made vegan egg salad with tofu numerous times, and it's virtually indistinguishable from actual egg salad. The only thing I do different is freeze, defrost and squeeze out as much water as possible from the tofu for a meatier texture but it's not critical.

Old 05-31-2022, 08:59 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name Is View Post
I've made vegan egg salad with tofu numerous times, and it's virtually indistinguishable from actual egg salad. The only thing I do different is freeze, defrost and squeeze out as much water as possible from the tofu for a meatier texture but it's not critical.
Eh. I did not grow up vegan or vegetarian, then was vegan for eight years, and now back to not being vegan. I have never had a vegan 'egg' salad that tastes anything like the real thing. Adding black salt, as mentioned above, is a key to getting the sulphur taste/smell/experience from eggs, but even then it is not the same. To add, store bought vegan mayo runs between 'this is worse than Miracle Whip!' to 'not mayo, but not bad'. Homemade vegan mayo can be pretty good, depending on recipe.

The real trick is to not try to capture the same experience when preparing vegan or vegetarian meals. We say vegan egg salad, and we expect something close. We say egg-less salad and go into it with less expectations and with an understanding it is not going to be the real deal. Obviously, things need to be descriptive and most of this is about comfort foods, anyways.

To the OP: There are a 1000 + 1 recipes online for vegan alternatives to egg salad. Some are better than most, but in truth you'll have to try a few (or a bunch) of recipes until you find one that works for you.

Old 06-03-2022, 09:21 AM

443 posts, read 316,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name Is View Post
Have you ever used a tofu press? My fiance and I got one about a year ago and it is a game changer for getting the water out (much quicker than freezing/defrosting/etc)

https://www.amazon.com/Tofu-Press-st...46370554&psc=1

Old 06-07-2022, 09:37 AM

19,114 posts, read 25,309,475 times
While I haven't tried it, I would trust this recipe from The Cleveland Clinic:

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/m...tofu-sandwich/

Old 06-08-2022, 06:16 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
While I haven't tried it, I would trust this recipe from The Cleveland Clinic:

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/m...tofu-sandwich/
I've tried that and it's delicious! Plus 1 for yoiu.

The prep time might turn off non-cooks, or people who want a quick lunch, though.

An easier alternative to the recipe is to visit a local natural foods store and buy "egg salad flavoring for Tofu". It's very good when you need your non egg "egg salad" quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food