Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2023, 10:23 PM

1,035 posts, read 563,265 times

Advertisements

"grinding them may reduce health benefits:

Not exactly. Not grinding them means that any alleged health benefits from eating them go down to zero. They will pass right through your digestive system whole unless you have itty bitty teeth that can crunch and pulverize them. They're a yuppie fad thing anyway, there's probably 1,000,000 things you could eat that would be more beneficial to your health than flax seeds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2024, 06:57 AM

5 posts, read 1,513 times
Flax seeds are a versatile and nutritious ingredient that can be incorporated into various dishes to enhance both flavor and nutritional content. Here are some creative ideas for incorporating flax seeds into your diet:

1) Smoothies: Add a tablespoon of ground flax seeds to your favorite smoothie for a boost of fiber and ome1)ga-3 fatty
acids.

2) Yogurt Parfait: Layer yogurt with fresh fruits and a sprinkle of flax seeds for a nutritious and crunchy parfait.

3) Oatmeal or Cereal Topping: Sprinkle ground flax seeds on top of your morning oatmeal or cereal for added texture and
nutritional value.

4) Homemade Granola: Include flax seeds in your homemade granola for a crunchy and nutritious addition.

5) Salad Booster: Add ground flax seeds to your salads for an extra nutritional punch. They blend well with salad dressings.

Old 04-24-2024, 02:57 AM

22,377 posts, read 19,294,705 times
i grind 1 or 2 days worth of flax seed in a small spice grinder that i bought on Amazon, it does a great job, was something like $20. I really like flax seed. NOTE: Do NOT don't take medication with flax seed at the same time. or it can prevent the medication from being released into your system. i have 2 tablespoons ground flax seed daily, either on green beans with soy sauce; or on roasted potatoes. It has a pleasant flavor, on the nutty side.

Old 04-24-2024, 06:24 AM

7,301 posts, read 5,185,498 times
Flax seed & hemp seeds are the only two plant source of complete protein (ie- have all eight essential AAs.....

...BUT, because they 're usually used only in "sprinkle quantities," they provide no more nutritional benefit than, say, using pepper on your food....One whole tsp contains only 1.6gm protein-- not enough to make a difference in your diet.

Old 04-24-2024, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Flax seed & hemp seeds are the only two plant source of complete protein (ie- have all eight essential AAs.....

...BUT, because they 're usually used only in "sprinkle quantities," they provide no more nutritional benefit than, say, using pepper on your food....One whole tsp contains only 1.6gm protein-- not enough to make a difference in your diet.
they are helpful for reducing symptoms of IBS.
so yes, they do make a difference.

"Flax seeds contain soluble & prebiotic fiber which combine to great effect when it comes to the health of your digestive system."

Old 04-24-2024, 10:14 AM

11,089 posts, read 6,941,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
i grind 1 or 2 days worth of flax seed in a small spice grinder that i bought on Amazon, it does a great job, was something like $20. I really like flax seed. NOTE: Do NOT take medication with flax seed at the same time or it can prevent the medication from being released into your system. i have 2 tablespoons ground flax seed daily, either on green beans with soy sauce; or on roasted potatoes. It has a pleasant flavor, on the nutty side.
Sounds yummy! and I think I will get that cheap spice grinder online at the behemoth, since keeping my coffee grinding and spice grinding is preferable. Don't know why I haven't done that already.

Old 04-27-2024, 03:59 AM

7,301 posts, read 5,185,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
they are helpful for reducing symptoms of IBS.
so yes, they do make a difference.

"Flax seeds contain soluble & prebiotic fiber which combine to great effect when it comes to the health of your digestive system."
Let's not confuse "nutrition" with "medicinal properties."

Old 04-27-2024, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Let's not confuse "nutrition" with "medicinal properties."
Dietary fiber is a “nutrient to get more of” and is required to be on the Nutrition Facts label, which lists this nutrient as a sub-group under Total Carbohydrates.

"The Dietary Guidelines consider fiber to be a nutrient of public health concern for those 2 years of age and older since low intakes are associated with health concerns. Since more than 90 percent of women don’t meet the recommended dietary fiber intakes, Eye on Nutrition is highlighting this nutrient."

"The Nutrition Facts Label final rule defines "dietary fiber," in relevant part, as "non-digestible soluble and insoluble carbohydrates (with 3 or more monomeric units), and lignin that are intrinsic and intact in plants; isolated or synthetic non-digestible carbohydrates (with 3 or more monomeric units) determined by FDA to have physiological effects that are beneficial to human health. These effects include lowering blood glucose and cholesterol levels, reduced calorie intake, and increasing the frequency of bowel movements."

here FDA's definition for dietary fiber declared on the Nutrition Facts label
and here Eye on Nutrition: Fiber

Old 05-06-2024, 04:16 PM

12,574 posts, read 9,665,004 times
Flax seed meal is often baked into bread... "Flax and Sunflower Seed Bread" recipe

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/18...er-seed-bread/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food