Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2023, 12:07 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
I could imagine that happening quite a lot 50 or 60 years ago, but I'm surprised to hear of it still going on today.
Natural food is so mainstream now, with Whole Foods stores popping up all over,
and regular supermarkets selling organic produce. Also, special diets are much more visible;
I constantly see the words "gluten free."
I find it stupid when companies put "gluten free" on things like cheese that never ever had any gluten in them in the first place. Gluten free is for bread, baked goods, snacks, etc., wherein the usual product does contain gluten.

I agree with others that with so many people eating vegetarian or vegan or even "flexitarian" these days, it's rare when someone makes a remark about others' food choices, and when they do, they are looked at as being sort of jerky.

I have a part-time job that includes attending a lot of events where a meal is served. There are always a lot of Indian and Muslim and Jewish people at these events (New York engineering industry), and their regular diets are vegetarian or else they eat vegetarian when halal or kosher food is not available. Someone remarking on what they are eating or not eating would be looked upon like an a-hole.

Old 06-28-2023, 12:11 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
I wouldn't care what they call me, or "get tired" of it. It's much easier to ignore or get rid of such "friends".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2023, 12:15 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Shredded cheeses, string cheese, canisters of parmesan cheese and even blocks of cheese can have gluten added during the manufacturing and packaging process.
Some anti-caking agents are made from wheat flour or starch, both of which contain gluten.

Old 06-28-2023, 12:18 PM

4,502 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I find it stupid when companies put "gluten free" on things like cheese that never ever had any gluten in them in the first place. Gluten free is for bread, baked goods, snacks, etc., wherein the usual product does contain gluten.

I agree with others that with so many people eating vegetarian or vegan or even "flexitarian" these days, it's rare when someone makes a remark about others' food choices, and when they do, they are looked at as being sort of jerky.

I have a part-time job that includes attending a lot of events where a meal is served. There are always a lot of Indian and Muslim and Jewish people at these events (New York engineering industry), and their regular diets are vegetarian or else they eat vegetarian when halal or kosher food is not available. Someone remarking on what they are eating or not eating would be looked upon like an a-hole.
Oh heck, I've seen gluten free coffee.

I don't know about you, but all my coffee damn sure better be gluten free! I certainly do NOT want glutinous coffee!

Old 06-28-2023, 12:18 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Shredded cheeses, string cheese, canisters of parmesan cheese and even blocks of cheese can have gluten added during the manufacturing and packaging process.
Really? I would not have thought that. I mean, for a person with celiac, they have to be careful that a product isn't manufactured in the same plant with gluten products, because the sensitivity is so high.

For someone like my daughter, who is merely gluten intolerant, it would not be so important to know.

Old 06-28-2023, 12:49 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
I've definitely been called worse!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-28-2023, 03:59 PM

1,262 posts, read 664,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I've definitely been called worse!
I agree!
I just feel my diet like my religion is something I believe in although you may not. That's OK, but leave your comments to yourself unless they are constructive comments not meant to judge but to learn or understand.

Old 06-28-2023, 07:58 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
"Health nut" is not the worst thing I've been called as a vegetarian, so I guess it doesn't worry me that much. Though it *is* a bit annoying that people assume health is the reason I do it, or assume that because I don't eat meat I must eat super-healthy all the time-- even though most of them have NO idea what I actually eat. I point out to them that cake and pizza and french fries are vegetarian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellacatahoula View Post
I agree!
I just feel my diet like my religion is something I believe in although you may not. That's OK, but leave your comments to yourself unless they are constructive comments not meant to judge but to learn or understand.
Yup. Especially since if I made the same sort of comments back to them, it'd be "UGH veg{etari}ans are such jerks, always judging people and making comments about what they eat!" And if I told them they were being rude, it'd be "UGH veg{etari}ans are so sensitive, can't even take a joke!"

Old 06-28-2023, 08:04 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I'm wondering if others who try to eat a mostly nutritious diet are sometimes viewed as odd or health nuts by other folks? Others being those who eat more along the lines of the Standard American Diet.

I try to practice my food preferences quietly and without trying to convert anyone else to my way of eating, but still...twice in the last couple of weeks, I've been called odd and a health nut 'cause I eat somewhat differently.

My way of eating isn't that severe or unusual, I don't think...mainly vegetarian and avoid wheat due to its inflammatory effect on my arthritis. Bread and baked goods are yummy, but I don't like the resulting pain...

Does anyone else feel kind of isolated in their eating habits?
Seems to me you're looking at this the wrong way.

The question isn't whether other people feel isolated. The question should be, what kind of retorts are you going to develop to stop the annoying comments?

On the other hand, if you've been eating this way for years and now suddenly have two comments, that doesn't seem like enough to stress about.

Old 06-28-2023, 08:24 PM

1,392 posts, read 1,398,417 times
When I started eating healthy some decades ago, almost all my family and friends would make comments about it. (I actually made the switch to healthy eating through knowledge of the long term health benefits)

I very rarely hear any comments (negative) anymore. I think most people are educated enough about the benefits of eating healthy, even if they don’t, to not make a negative comment about a positive action. ( at least my family and friends never give me any grief)

A few years ago I survived a death sentence health issue and my oncologist said the reason I lived was I was so healthy going into the issue. He even started running and eating better because of my survival. ( I still run 4-5 times a week and eat healthy)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food